• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Assange denied Swedish residency

kaya'08

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The founder of the Wikileaks website, Julian Assange, has been denied residency in Sweden, the country's migration board officials say.

They declined to give the reason, saying it was confidential.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11570283

This appears very suspicious to me. My opinions on Assange:

- Has every right to practice his journalism freely

- Allegations of rape against him are fishy

- Sweden should admit he was denied on the bases of his controversy and for no other reason. It's rather shady the Swedish government should not name a reason, i rather they where honest.

- Although i strongly believe Assange should be protected as a journalist, the fact that he intends to release documents providing names of locals who have helped coalition forces strikes me as rather pointless and distasteful, as though it is a deliberate attempt of sabotage against us and our soldiers. Who's side is he on?

It serves no civilian purpose and no public service by releasing these leaks, and instead comes across as nothing but an attempt to endanger the lives of those precious locals who seek to help us, not to mention our soldiers. If the purpose of Wikileaks is to make us more aware of things as civilians we deserve to know, this leak in particular [names of locals and future coalition strategies] is something best kept within the doors of government.

Something needs to be done about Assange, and it needs to be done now.

Last edited:
-- Sweden should admit he was denied on the bases of his controversy and for no other reason. It's rather shady the Swedish government should not name a reason, i rather they where honest --

We'll probably hear eventually that thoser countries with troops in Afghanistan put pressure on the Swedes not to let him in.

Money talks.

We'll probably hear eventually that thoser countries with troops in Afghanistan put pressure on the Swedes not to let him in.

Money talks.

Its very likely Swedish law would have allowed Assange to "blow the whistle" so to speak without actually breaking any laws, since Swedish law actually goes to greater lengths to protect whistleblowers. Now since Sweden has an obligation in not allowing leaks of this magnitude (which could harm NATO soldiers) to be released, it is no suprise they said no to Assange residency. The Swedish government would rather not have a leak of this magnitude and with this potential to destruct to be released within its borders, and then not be able to actually do anything under national law to persecute Assange for his negligent acts. It would ruin Sweden's standing with America and other European friends, and hurt it politically, much like the way the release of Al Megrahi hurt Scotland.

Last edited:
More than likely, Sweden doesn't want to deal with the political fallout from having such a man in their country. I support Assange in his quest for the truth, but I don't blame Sweden at all.

Sweden can deny residency of this guy for any reason what so ever. It is their right. Much to do about nothing if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom