• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Assad's interview

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
President Bashar al-Assad gave an interview to Le Figaro. Following is the full text:
Le Figaro: Mr. President, the Americans and the French have accused you of perpetrating a chemical attack on the 21st of August in Ghouta, which led to the death of hundreds. Do you have evidence to suggest that your army did not launch the attack?
President al-Assad: First of all, anyone making such an accusation is also responsible for providing the evidence to substantiate the allegation. We have challenged them to present a shred of legitimate evidence, which they have not been able to do. Since their foreign policy should be tailored to suit the interests of their own people, we have challenged them to present legitimate evidence to their own public opinion to substantiate their claims; again they have not done so.

(Excerpt)

http://www.lefigaro.fr/internationa...0902ARTFIG00569-assad-s-warning-to-france.php

Last edited:
What? Hold a trial before passing sentence? That is unpatriotic - we must act while emotions run high! ;)

It's a conservative paper, it can't be trusted. :mrgreen:

President Bashar al-Assad gave an interview to Le Figaro. Following is the full text:
Le Figaro: Mr. President, the Americans and the French have accused you of perpetrating a chemical attack on the 21st of August in Ghouta, which led to the death of hundreds. Do you have evidence to suggest that your army did not launch the attack?
President al-Assad: First of all, anyone making such an accusation is also responsible for providing the evidence to substantiate the allegation. We have challenged them to present a shred of legitimate evidence, which they have not been able to do. Since their foreign policy should be tailored to suit the interests of their own people, we have challenged them to present legitimate evidence to their own public opinion to substantiate their claims; again they have not done so.

(Excerpt)

Assad's warning to France

So reveal our intelligence sources, or forget about it?

Assad, I'm not so sure you appreciate how thin the ice is your standing on. Ego's are about to be unleashed...

So reveal our intelligence sources, or forget about it?

Assad, I'm not so sure you appreciate how thin the ice is your standing on. Ego's are about to be unleashed...

Falling for the propaganda, tsk tsk.

Ocean brings up a good point, if providing the evidence puts a source at risk, should we provide that evidence? A lot of our intellgience comes from people on the inside providing the evidence. Certainly you realize that care needs to also be made as to not put sources at risk or show our hand on how we got the evidence.

I'm not saying things should be done blindly only carefully.

I for one (of many) am not willing to follow Washington into another war on a trust me. Even if doing such would be consistent with domestic and international law, which it isn't. Say Next, sense there's no constitutional authority for us to attack a country that hasn't attacked us, sense the WPA can't support it, sense it is in violation of international law, risks expanding hostilities to the entire region and possibly beyond, why in the hell should it even be debated?

Last edited:
Say Next, sense there's no constitutional authority for us to attack a country that hasn't attacked us, sense the WPA can't support it, sense it is in violation of international law, risks expanding hostilities to the entire region and possibly beyond, why in the hell should it even be debated?

Does it follow international law to use chemical weapons on a a civilian populace? At this point I don't think it is any question that chemical weapons were used, they were. The question is who? So if that question cannot be answered, the U.N. should demand the chemical weapons be turned over for destruction.

I don't want the U.S. to embark on this, I am wanting the U.N. to get involved and then with them and others do something about it. The U.S. should not be doing this and if the U.N. does not want to get involved then that decision will also be on their shoulders and we shouldn't do anything either.

It doesn't matter what he says. He lacks credibility regardless.

Does it follow international law to use chemical weapons on a a civilian populace? At this point I don't think it is any question that chemical weapons were used, they were. The question is who? So if that question cannot be answered, the U.N. should demand the chemical weapons be turned over for destruction.

I don't want the U.S. to embark on this, I am wanting the U.N. to get involved and then with them and others do something about it. The U.S. should not be doing this and if the U.N. does not want to get involved then that decision will also be on their shoulders and we shouldn't do anything either.

Well we essentially agree then.

Full Text of Interview:

Syrian TV - President Bashar al-Assad's interview with Le Figaro

"Imagine if Assad got voted out in the 2014 elections; and then he left, admitting that the elections were free and fair, that he had out stayed his welcome and it was time to go. "If I feel that the Syrian people do not want it...I will not stand," he was recently recorded saying on Lebanese TV station Al-Manar. This scenario is just about as unlikely as a recent statement by the Iranian Foreign Minister is genuine - "We believe that this crisis has no military solution and only a Syrian political one," he said at a news conference on Saturday; elsewhere it has been widely reported that along with Russia, Iran are the main source of arms supply - See more at: http://www.middleeastmonitor.com/blogs/politics/6204-the-treacherous-path-to-syrias-2014-elections#sthash.3afG1iCO.dpuf"

http://www.middleeastmonitor.com/blogs/politics/6204-the-treacherous-path-to-syrias-2014-elections

//

Last edited:

Heya TNE. :2wave: That's Why The Russians took their evidence to the UN and Ban Ki Moon. Plus they are now in on it. With Ban ki stating that it would be an illegal act to strike Militarily. In violation of Article 51. So they did at least speak up.

Although I doubt France and ourselves will listen.

Obama can't leave France hanging in the Wind since they don't have the ability to go after Assad themselves. Which they did say they want to punish Assad. They would end up looking like the Planets laughing stock bared whole.

Ocean brings up a good point, if providing the evidence puts a source at risk, should we provide that evidence? A lot of our intellgience comes from people on the inside providing the evidence. Certainly you realize that care needs to also be made as to not put sources at risk or show our hand on how we got the evidence.

I'm not saying things should be done blindly only carefully.

That's certainly a legitimate argument.

The problem is, as you know, we went down that road in Iraq where Bush got played by "Curveball" and a plethora of dubious sources trying to make money or political capital off a US invasion by telling the Bush Administration exactly what it wanted to hear. I don't think Obama is as stupid or ideologically driven as Bush and Cheney (nobody is). They wanted fabricated evidence and their bogus undercover sources gave it to them. But still, given the chaotic unsettled climate in Syria, are there any sources we can really trust?

I'm just hoping this isn't yellowcake all over again.

(Excerpt)

Assad's warning to France

How the hell are we supposed to bomb the **** out of people if we have to PROVE the reasons we are saying are real?

There's a bad moon rising, boys and girls...

the U.N. should demand the chemical weapons be turned over for destruction.

And if for some reason they don't comply we can have Maya Angelou write a mean poem about Assad and read it on Oprah.

Wasn't that the last time us and the French alone agreed upon a military action?

The French were in VN from 54 thru about 60. The north and south split somewhere in the mid to upper 50s. Eisenhower made a promise to the south for support if needed. Bad call.
Then not long after that the Australians sent in some advisors and wind up sending several thousand troops.

Kennedy sent in military "advisors" before he died. Johnson used the Gulf of Tonkin, which was a fabricated bunch of BS, to send in troops. He knew he ****ed up really bad...and didn't seek a second full term.

Before we knew what the hell was going on..the draft started going like wildfire and upteen thousands were forced to go to VN.

If I remember correctly...eventually about 500,000 Americans had been on VN soil before Ford finally was forced to end military presence...in about 75ish, give or take a year or so.

So the answer to your question...no the US and the French didn't ally together going into VN.

Last edited:
The French were in VN from 54 thru about 60. The north and south split somewhere in the mid to upper 50s. Eisenhower made a promise to the south for support if needed. Bad call.
Then not long after that the Australians sent in some advisors and wind up sending several thousand troops.

Kennedy sent in military "advisors" before he died. Johnson used the Gulf of Tonkin, which was a fabricated bunch of BS, to send in troops. He knew he ****ed up really bad...and didn't seek a second full term.

Before we knew what the hell was going on..the draft started going like wildfire and upteen thousands were forced to go to VN.

If I remember correctly...eventually about 500,000 Americans had been on VN soil before Ford finally was forced to end military presence...in about 75ish, give or take a year or so.

So the answer to your question...no the US and the French didn't ally together going into VN.

Actually they were there from the ousting of the Japanese at the end of WWII until 1954. The country split in 1954 after the ousting of the French. The first advisors were sent in 1950, which is when it was still claimed by the French.

Troop levels fell from 1969 to almost half the number being there in 1970.

A Peace accord was reached under Nixon in 1973 which the NV's broke once American troop levels had fallen, Nixon was disgraced and Ford didn't have the political clout or will to re-engage.

Saigon fell in 1975.

Actually they were there from the ousting of the Japanese at the end of WWII until 1954. The country split in 1954 after the ousting of the French. The first advisors were sent in 1950, which is when it was still claimed by the French.

Troop levels fell from 1969 to almost half the number being there in 1970.

A Peace accord was reached under Nixon in 1973 which the NV's broke once American troop levels had fallen, Nixon was disgraced and Ford didn't have the political clout or will to re-engage.

Saigon fell in 1975.

Alrighty then. It was pretty close to my personal memories. It was quite a few years ago. My memory isn't as sharp as it use to be. But it serves me well enough to remember that for a hell of a lot of men and women in America and VN...it was not a good time in history. I got my draft notice on Oct 25, 1965.

Back
Top Bottom