• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Asked what Bible verse influences him, Trump picks verse rejected by Jesus

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Because of course he does.

Bob Lonsberry Talks with Donald Trump

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump pointed to a vengeful teaching specifically contradicted by Jesus as the Bible verse or story that’s influenced him during a Thursday morning radio appearance.

“Is there a favorite Bible verse or Bible story that has informed your thinking or your character through life, sir?” host Bob Lonsberry asked Trump on Rochester, New York’s WHAM 1180AM.

“When we get into the Bible, I think many, so many,” Trump said. “Look, an eye for an eye, you can almost say that.... The businessman and the 2016 GOP frontrunner went on to explain further: “If you look at what’s happening to our country, when you see what’s going on with our country, how people are taking advantage of us and how they scoff at us and laugh at us and laugh at our face. They’re taking our jobs, they’re taking our money, they’re taking the health of our country. We have to be very firm and we have to be very strong, and we can learn a lot from the Bible, that I can tell you.”

Trump is referencing Exodus 21:23-25

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

Which of course, was specifically mentioned by Jesus when he stated:

You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well

(Matthew 3:38-49)

Because of course he does.

Bob Lonsberry Talks with Donald Trump

Trump is referencing Exodus 21:23-25

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

Which of course, was specifically mentioned by Jesus when he stated:

You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well

(Matthew 3:38-49)

Exodus 21 in its entirety is a good look at how strange to modern day law was then:

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her.

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

26 “An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye. 27 And an owner who knocks out the tooth of a male or female slave must let the slave go free to compensate for the tooth.

The amount of support that Trump enjoys amongst the evangelical voters is really astounding considering his lack of knowledge of the bible combined with his incredibly immoral behavior in his past.

Sorta. If you break down self-describing "Evangelicals" by "Those who go to Church" and "Those who do not attend Church", Trump tends to win heavily in the latter, and does poorly in the former.

Sorta. If you break down self-describing "Evangelicals" by "Those who go to Church" and "Those who do not attend Church", Trump tends to win heavily in the latter, and does poorly in the former.

Interesting, I was trying to find some polling data to support my claim - but am busy with other things at the moment. Can you link me to your research?

Edit: Found this article from 538.

Trump ain't much of a church goer. Whatever he says.

I think evangelicals have mentioned, at least to my memory, 2 reasons why they are for Trump:
(1) Trump realizes the dire state of the country.
(2) evangelicals realize the hypocrisy of those candidates who say they are pro-evangelical.

i was hoping for matthew 19:24

Evangelicals know Trump will leave them alone. They understand that the left want to use the Big Boot of Government on them, and Hillary will too. They aren't getting Huckabee. They get that.

I've gone to church all my life and would be hard pressed to come up with an answer that would avoid an argument with someone who knows what they are talking about. So am I less pure? Hardly.

It's funny how the establishment has both sides really gunning for trump here.

You see the sanders and trump learning what happens when you try to upset the status quo.

A smart businessman btw, would not give someone who's suing them the shirt off thier back....

Trump ain't much of a church goer. Whatever he says.

I think evangelicals have mentioned, at least to my memory, 2 reasons why they are for Trump:
(1) Trump realizes the dire state of the country.
(2) evangelicals realize the hypocrisy of those candidates who say they are pro-evangelical.
I dont have much knowledge about the others,but if we mention his racism ,his racist views dont make him hypocrite ,on the contrary he is becoming honest unlike many secretly racist politicians but his making references to the bible by twisting Jesus's words is a great example of how conservatives have been using the religion for their own benefits.Who is Trump ? He is the new face of 'wasp' reality in the political arena

I dont have much knowledge about the others,but if we mention his racism ,his racist views dont make him hypocrite ,on the contrary he is becoming honest unlike many secretly racist politicians but his making references to the bible by twisting Jesus's words is a great example of how conservatives have been using the religion for their own benefits.Who is Trump ? He is the new face of 'wasp' reality in the political arena
How is Trump racist? Jesus wasn't keen on leaders of the Jewish faith. Is Jesus racist, too?

Who cares? That's like asking what page of Harry Potter gives the best life lessons. Anyone who pays any attention to the Bible is an idiot.

Exodus 21 in its entirety is a good look at how strange to modern day law was then:

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her.

20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

26 “An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye. 27 And an owner who knocks out the tooth of a male or female slave must let the slave go free to compensate for the tooth.

it was typical in those days for people to sell themselves into servitude.
whether it was to pay off a debt or in general for work.

Who cares? That's like asking what page of Harry Potter gives the best life lessons. Anyone who pays any attention to the Bible is an idiot.

Ah, even a secularist can appreciate the literary value of the Bible.

Ah, even a secularist can appreciate the literary value of the Bible.

Just as I can appreciate the literary value of Harry Potter. That doesn't mean any political leader ought to quote said books as influential.

Just as I can appreciate the literary value of Harry Potter. That doesn't mean any political leader ought to quote said books as influential.

I generally quote what has influenced me enough that I actually remember it. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom