• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ask and you shall receive ......... yes a Windfall Profits Tax Legislation = I want 4 rebate checks a year from the oil industry damn right

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Let’s talk about why gas prices have gone up so high = we’d use that revenue to send four rebate checks a year to Americans struggling with high gas prices.

Putin’s horrific war on Ukraine has increased the price of oil around the world. But that’s not the whole story.

When hugely profitable oil companies see their costs go up, they don’t just raise their prices by that same amount — they raise them by a lot. Why? To take advantage of an international crisis to pad their already-massive profits — no matter how much harder they make it for their customers to make ends meet.

I’ve teamed up with Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and a bunch more colleagues on a plan to fight back and deliver relief for Americans: a Windfall Profits Tax.

It would apply to the biggest oil companies, like ExxonMobil. If they’re out there price gouging, they’re going to have to give up a big chunk of their ill-gotten gains — with a 50% tax on the difference between the average price of a barrel from 2015 to 2019 and the price today.

And we’d use that revenue to send four rebate checks a year to Americans struggling with high gas prices.

At the same time we’re working to address high gas prices, we’ve got to double-down, triple-down, and quadruple-down on transitioning to clean energy.

Russia’s whole economy relies on exporting oil and gas. So here’s the way I see it: the more we rely on fossil fuels as a nation, the more power we put in the hands of Putin.

For the survival of our planet — and for freedom, democracy, and security around the globe — we must move as fast as we possibly can away from fossil fuels and onto green energy sources like wind, solar, and hydropower. That includes getting a whole lot more electric vehicles on the road and fueling our public transit with renewable energy. I’m in that fight all the way.

And even though Big Oil is getting a lot of headlines right now, I’m not letting other giant corporations off the hook for their role in squeezing working families. We see a lot of the same story in other parts of our economy, like food. When corporations see supply costs go up, they pass those costs onto consumers, but they sure don’t stop there — they seize the opportunity to swell their profits even more by jacking up prices even higher. And it helps drive up the inflation we’re already seeing from the pandemic and supply chain problems.

If Russia's whole economy depends on exporting gas and oil, the challenge becomes transitioning the entire world off gas and oil despite Russia's best efforts to subvert the transition.

Gas price rebates: I am not in favor of general rebates for everyone. It should only go to low income workers.

Gas prices need to rise to reduce the number of miles driven as a nation as a part of our effort to reduce emissions in accordance with the Paris Accord.

When the pandemic caused shut downs, the skies cleared up all over the world. Emissions were reduced. It was a plus for combating the climate crisis. Now that everything is opening back up and people are doing things again, demand for oil and emissions generated have shot back up.

High prices would cause people to think twice about unnecessary driving.

What we should do is raise gas taxes nationally; use the revenue to fight climate change.

If Russia's whole economy depends on exporting gas and oil, the challenge becomes transitioning the entire world off gas and oil despite Russia's best efforts to subvert the transition.
seems reasonable

Let’s talk about why gas prices have gone up so high = we’d use that revenue to send four rebate checks a year to Americans struggling with high gas prices.

Putin’s horrific war on Ukraine has increased the price of oil around the world. But that’s not the whole story.

When hugely profitable oil companies see their costs go up, they don’t just raise their prices by that same amount — they raise them by a lot. Why? To take advantage of an international crisis to pad their already-massive profits — no matter how much harder they make it for their customers to make ends meet.

I’ve teamed up with Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and a bunch more colleagues on a plan to fight back and deliver relief for Americans: a Windfall Profits Tax.

It would apply to the biggest oil companies, like ExxonMobil. If they’re out there price gouging, they’re going to have to give up a big chunk of their ill-gotten gains — with a 50% tax on the difference between the average price of a barrel from 2015 to 2019 and the price today.

And we’d use that revenue to send four rebate checks a year to Americans struggling with high gas prices.

At the same time we’re working to address high gas prices, we’ve got to double-down, triple-down, and quadruple-down on transitioning to clean energy.

Russia’s whole economy relies on exporting oil and gas. So here’s the way I see it: the more we rely on fossil fuels as a nation, the more power we put in the hands of Putin.

For the survival of our planet — and for freedom, democracy, and security around the globe — we must move as fast as we possibly can away from fossil fuels and onto green energy sources like wind, solar, and hydropower. That includes getting a whole lot more electric vehicles on the road and fueling our public transit with renewable energy. I’m in that fight all the way.

And even though Big Oil is getting a lot of headlines right now, I’m not letting other giant corporations off the hook for their role in squeezing working families. We see a lot of the same story in other parts of our economy, like food. When corporations see supply costs go up, they pass those costs onto consumers, but they sure don’t stop there — they seize the opportunity to swell their profits even more by jacking up prices even higher. And it helps drive up the inflation we’re already seeing from the pandemic and supply chain problems.
Nationalize the oil industry.

So they just cut production to 300,000 or less barrels per day and raise the price even higher to maintain their profits while avoiding the tax.

So they just cut production to 300,000 or less barrels per day and raise the price even higher to maintain their profits while avoiding the tax.
Good for the environment and the climate crisis!

We've got to do something.

Good for the environment and the climate crisis!

We've got to do something.
We're always doing something. Maybe we should think more about the consequences of what we want to do before actually doing it.

We're always doing something. Maybe we should think more about the consequences of what we want to do before actually doing it.
That is what I have been saying ever since I realized we are slowly but surely destroying our own habitat.

And there is no planet B.

I say as long as we see wasteful driving habits gas prices are not too high. We should tax gasoline heavily until we see no more wasteful driving. Then we will know we have achieved the optimal pricing for saving gasoline, saving money, and saving our one and only habitat.

Use the revenue to offset the cost of gasoline for low income workers, and for working on solutions to create widespread and easily available cleaner energy.

That is what I have been saying ever since I realized we are slowly but surely destroying our own habitat.

And there is no planet B.

I say as long as we see wasteful driving habits gas prices are not too high. We should tax gasoline heavily until we see no more wasteful driving. Then we will know we have achieved the optimal pricing for saving gasoline, saving money, and saving our one and only habitat.

Use the revenue to offset the cost of gasoline for low income workers, and for working on solutions to create widespread and easily available cleaner energy.
The insects and animals will get on fine without us.

How California’s $400 gas rebate proposal would work​

Updated: Mar 18, 2022 / 05:48 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO — A group of Democratic California lawmakers rolled out a proposal Thursday to send a $400 rebate check to individual taxpayers to ease some of the burdens of recent record-setting gas prices.

The plan would pay out $400 to each individual who pays income tax in the state, regardless if they own a vehicle, and effectively would operate as a one-year gas tax holiday, Inside California Politics journalist Ashley Zavala reported. The effort comes as gas prices in San Diego County have increased in each of the past 23 days. The average now sits at a record $5.82 for a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline.

Under the proposal, lawmakers would use a portion of the state’s roughly $45 billion budget surplus “to help cover the increased cost of gasoline and the general increase in the cost of goods and services.”

How California’s $400 gas rebate proposal would work​

Updated: Mar 18, 2022 / 05:48 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO — A group of Democratic California lawmakers rolled out a proposal Thursday to send a $400 rebate check to individual taxpayers to ease some of the burdens of recent record-setting gas prices.

The plan would pay out $400 to each individual who pays income tax in the state, regardless if they own a vehicle, and effectively would operate as a one-year gas tax holiday, Inside California Politics journalist Ashley Zavala reported. The effort comes as gas prices in San Diego County have increased in each of the past 23 days. The average now sits at a record $5.82 for a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline.

Under the proposal, lawmakers would use a portion of the state’s roughly $45 billion budget surplus “to help cover the increased cost of gasoline and the general increase in the cost of goods and services.”

Gas, 95 octane, where I live just went down to $4.65 per gallon from a high of $5 per gallon two days ago. California could just eliminate the tax on gas and drop the price to $5.31 per gallon and save the time and cost of sending out rebate checks.

That is the kind of attitude that destroys civilization; as opposed to building it better.

That is the kind of attitude that destroys civilization; as opposed to building it better.
Just stating a fact.
Has anyone thought about why our founders created a Democracy where only about 6% of the population, tax paying land owners, had the Right to vote?
It's not talk that destroys civilization, civilization taken to extremes destroys itself.

Just stating a fact.
Has anyone thought about why our founders created a Democracy where only about 6% of the population, tax paying land owners, had the Right to vote?
It's not talk that destroys civilization, civilization taken to extremes destroys itself.
Your opinion is an opinion. It is a vision of a bleak future for humanity, a future which has yet to be determined. Because it is not assured, it is not a fact. It is your opinion. It is a dark, depressing opinion.

There is another possibility. Humans continue to improve the human condition, a process which has endured for as long as humans have existed. Humans could find solutions to the major problems human existence faces. Climate change, overpopulation, resource depletion.

Civilization has not destroyed itself yet. It is a bit early to give up on civilization.

There have been gains and losses along the way as humanity has improved civilization. The dark ages represented a period of regression. Perhaps we are living through a similar age. Who knows? Only time will tell, and by the time that can be determined, we in this discussion will all be dead.

The thing to do is recognize the big picture, be thankful to those who came before us, those who advanced the human condition we enjoy right now, and do our part to continue that advancement for the benefit of those who will follow us.

It is our responsibility to do our part to build on what we were born into, and give those who come next more to work with.

And it is also a good feeling to know that our efforts make us part of a larger good thing. By doing what we can, we become productive members of society.

Those who would simply sit around a criticize, without making any contribution, are all part of the challenge faced by those who want to make the world a greater place to be a human.

Your opinion is an opinion. It is a vision of a bleak future for humanity, a future which has yet to be determined. Because it is not assured, it is not a fact. It is your opinion. It is a dark, depressing opinion.

There is another possibility. Humans continue to improve the human condition, a process which has endured for as long as humans have existed. Humans could find solutions to the major problems human existence faces. Climate change, overpopulation, resource depletion.

Civilization has not destroyed itself yet. It is a bit early to give up on civilization.

There have been gains and losses along the way as humanity has improved civilization. The dark ages represented a period of regression. Perhaps we are living through a similar age. Who knows? Only time will tell, and by the time that can be determined, we in this discussion will all be dead.

The thing to do is recognize the big picture, be thankful to those who came before us, those who advanced the human condition we enjoy right now, and do our part to continue that advancement for the benefit of those who will follow us.

It is our responsibility to do our part to build on what we were born into, and give those who come next more to work with.

And it is also a good feeling to know that our efforts make us part of a larger good thing. By doing what we can, we become productive members of society.

Those who would simply sit around a criticize, without making any contribution, are all part of the challenge faced by those who want to make the world a greater place to be a human.
Everyone has an opinion, and I often use "IMO" when I want it to be clear that I'm posting an opinion.
But the post you just responded to stated a fact about voting in the U.S.A. when it was initially founded.
And neither did I make a prediction on the future of humanity, though it is a fact that no other living species is dependent upon humans for their natural survival.

Moving away from fossil fuels in such a hurry will start WWIII....look at Ukraine. You starve out Russia from their revenue and there will be war. There is no infrastructure in place for millions of EV's you reprobates. It will take years, not even counting the build up of our electricity infrastructure to handle the extra needed power to charge all these cars.....wind, solar....NO, that will not work.

Just let them drill, baby......supply will go up, prices down.....plus we can help our allies. Don't hinder them, help them.

Big oil doesn't set the price of gas at the stations

Everyone has an opinion, and I often use "IMO" when I want it to be clear that I'm posting an opinion.
But the post you just responded to stated a fact about voting in the U.S.A. when it was initially founded.
And neither did I make a prediction on the future of humanity, though it is a fact that no other living species is dependent upon humans for their natural survival.
The statement I was responding to, which you claimed was a fact, and I believe is opinion, was your assertion that the future involves insects getting along just fine without the humans.

By the way, humans are animals. I don't see a whole lot of distinction. So what. We've got opposable thumbs, we walk upright and we've learned to use tools and write things down. We share a lot of DNA with many other species. We are animals. Millions of humans live like rats, barely existing, illiterate, scraping by somehow on the spoils of others, no electricity, no plumbing, scavenging for food, not knowing where their next meal will come from, living in ramshackle huts. Just because some of we humans have a more cultured life doesn't mean we are not animals.

Just stating a fact.

Ever thought about why the US didn't become a world leader until AFTER the passage of the 14th and 19th amendments?

The statement I was responding to, which you claimed was a fact, and I believe is opinion, was your assertion that the future involves insects getting along just fine without the humans.

By the way, humans are animals. I don't see a whole lot of distinction. So what. We've got opposable thumbs, we walk upright and we've learned to use tools and write things down. We share a lot of DNA with many other species. We are animals. Millions of humans live like rats, barely existing, illiterate, scraping by somehow on the spoils of others, no electricity, no plumbing, scavenging for food, not knowing where their next meal will come from, living in ramshackle huts. Just because some of we humans have a more cultured life doesn't mean we are not animals.
We are going astray the thread topic, so if you believe other living species need humans for their survival, I won't argue about it.

Bring on those rebate checks every quarter = I will love it. THEY get subsidies I want rebates.

Brilliant............

Back
Top Bottom