• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Asians Only' Apartment Listing Draws Attention to Landlord

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A Canadian landlord is in hot water for posting a Craigslist ad requesting “Asian only” tenants, CTV News is reporting.

Natalie Schulz was checking out the “Rentals” section of the Vancouver Craigslist site when she saw a listing that caught her eye: a 3-bedroom apartment in the Vancouver suburb of Barnaby for $1,500 (Canadian) per month (about $1,175 USD).

Schultz called the number listed on the ad hoping to get some more information about the property. Instead, she got the third degree, with the agent asking her some rather personal questions.
“The man asked me what ethnicity I was and I asked him why that was important. He told me they had white people before and they had been partying and doing drugs.”

The man who answered Natalie’s call that day is identified as Yi Zhou. Zhou is not the landlord — instead, he wrote the ad, and took calls from prospective tenants, because the actual landlord doesn’t speak much English.

And as for the reason why the landlord specified “Asian only” on his Craigslist ad?

“There was white people partying every day and doing drugs, that guy couldn’t communicate with him. From that moment the owner said maybe just find Asian people so he can talk to them.”

Landlord Says ‘Asian Only’ On Craigslist Rental Ad, Is It Legal?

I've seen ads in the Bay Area that are only in Spanish or Chinese, I think that's where Mr Zhou made his mistake; if the ad had been in Chinese, no one would know that he only wants Asian tenants.

Thoughts? Comments?

I've seen ads in the Bay Area that are only in Spanish or Chinese, I think that's where Mr Zhou made his mistake; if the ad had been in Chinese, no one would know that he only wants Asian tenants.

Thoughts? Comments?

Asians are pretty much the most racist people you'll ever meet. I've worked with a couple of Koreans and the stories they told me would have made national news if they had happened here. Things like Cambodians trying to open stores and having the building burned to the ground, like Korean restaurants openly telling Laotians that they weren't welcome and forcibly throwing them out. There are a lot of good folks among Asians, but until you get a generation or two removed from their home nation, the racism is generally really bad.

Thoughts? Comments?

I've seen ads wanting a live-in nanny that must speak Spanish. Up here, that means they want a Filipina, someone who'll work long hours and do whatever they're told for very little money.
It sucks, but what can you do about it? Well, in this case because the guy was dumb enough to actually say he was discriminating against a race, he might be liable for something but if they don't say it, just silently do it, not much that can be done.
Might be hard to advertise in Chinese on a print medium. You might have to submit camera-ready art or something for the characters.

Landlord should be allowed to do.as he likes.

Yeah, but if he actually says he's discriminating against a race? There oughta be consequences just for being that dumb.

Asians are pretty much the most racist people you'll ever meet. I've worked with a couple of Koreans and the stories they told me would have made national news if they had happened here. Things like Cambodians trying to open stores and having the building burned to the ground, like Korean restaurants openly telling Laotians that they weren't welcome and forcibly throwing them out. There are a lot of good folks among Asians, but until you get a generation or two removed from their home nation, the racism is generally really bad.

Discrimination is fairly open in Asian cultures.

I was reading a story several years back about an irish woman in Korea trying to get a job teaching english, one place she applied told her "you speak the wrong english, our customers want to talk like an American" another sent her a letter of rejection actually listing "known problems with alcoholism amongst your people"

I've seen ads wanting a live-in nanny that must speak Spanish. Up here, that means they want a Filipina, someone who'll work long hours and do whatever they're told for very little money.
It sucks, but what can you do about it? Well, in this case because the guy was dumb enough to actually say he was discriminating against a race, he might be liable for something but if they don't say it, just silently do it, not much that can be done.
Might be hard to advertise in Chinese on a print medium. You might have to submit camera-ready art or something for the characters.

Filipinos speak spanish in vancouver?

around here the immigrants themselves and their children speak tagalog.
and around where I live filipinos who live here drive pick up trucks and own guns, great people!

Discrimination is fairly open in Asian cultures.

I was reading a story several years back about an irish woman in Korea trying to get a job teaching english, one place she applied told her "you speak the wrong english, our customers want to talk like an American" another sent her a letter of rejection actually listing "known problems with alcoholism amongst your people"

They have cultures whose histories are deep in caste thinking.

The US Government says differently. Fair Housing Act = Law of the land.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I didn't say the landlord CAN do as he likes, but rather that he SHOULD.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I didn't say the landlord CAN do as he likes, but rather that he SHOULD.

OK...you are either a racist, or another person who discriminates anyone regardless of ethnicity.

Either way, it speaks volumes about who you are.

Landlord should be allowed to do.as he likes.
Landlords certainly should not be allowed to do whatever they want. Preventing them from discriminating on the basis of race is the tip of that particular iceberg.

I know what I'm about to type will be shocking -- shocking! -- in this day and age, but: Racism and discrimination are immoral. While not every aspect of this can or should be targeted by legislation, discrimination in housing is surely valid.

OK...you are either a racist, or another person who discriminates anyone regardless of ethnicity.

Either way, it speaks volumes about who you are.

Hi unsubstantiated claims, how are you doing? Thriving it seems. Can you make any other assumptions based on nothing? Likely yes.

Landlords certainly should not be allowed to do whatever they want. Preventing them from discriminating on the basis of race is the tip of that particular iceberg.

I know what I'm about to type will be shocking -- shocking! -- in this day and age, but: Racism and discrimination are immoral. While not every aspect of this can or should be targeted by legislation, discrimination in housing is surely valid.

You do not own the property or labor of others. I know that is shocking -- shocking -- in this day and age. But it is the fundamental truth. You do not own, you have no right to, the property and labor of others.

Filipinos speak spanish in vancouver?

around here the immigrants themselves and their children speak tagalog.
and around where I live filipinos who live here drive pick up trucks and own guns, great people!

Most do, I think. I coached several Filipino kids in Little League and they all had Spanish first names and their parents sometimes spoke Spanish in the stands.

Apparently Canadian law views this as freedom of speech, and therefore no legal repercussions will follow. I remember much scrutiny of Donald Trump by the media, as well as here at DP when allegations were made about an apartment complex he owned at one time in the 1970s.

He was accused of preferring white tenants and denounced as an unthinkable person, even though I don't believe that those allegations were ever proven correct.

It all depends on who is doing something questionable I guess.

You do not own the property or labor of others. I know that is shocking -- shocking -- in this day and age. But it is the fundamental truth. You do not own, you have no right to, the property and labor of others.

Fair Housing laws say differently....don't they.

Fair Housing laws say differently....don't they.

laws do say differently. Did I say they didn't? No, not at all.

You have anything of relevance to post here, or is it just appeals to authority?

Might does not necessarily make right.

Most do, I think. I coached several Filipino kids in Little League and they all had Spanish first names and their parents sometimes spoke Spanish in the stands.

It's common for filipinos to have spanish names (as a former spanish colony, but there's a variety of indigenious languages they as a people speak, with the most common being tagalog (which is referred to as Filipino in the law of the Philippines) and that (along with english) are the official languages of the Philippines.

See the spanish mandated their language as the official language, but unlike their former colonies in South America, only a percentage of Filipinos were ever educated, and most spoke their native languages, and after the US took possession of the country education became more universal and by then Filinpinos were being educated in English and Tagalog and not spanish, very few Filipinos today fleuntly communicate in spanish, and most of those who do are people like Lawyers because many legal documents like property deeds and the like dating before the Spanish American war are written in spanish.

Last edited:
laws do say differently. Did I say they didn't? No, not at all.

You have anything of relevance to post here, or is it just appeals to authority?

Might does not necessarily make right.

No... when you enter a property on the market for rent, or lease, and whether temporarily or long term, you fall under the Federal fair housing act.

Don't go changing the meaning to your words either. You said to whom ever the owner feels like regardless.

You obviously do support bigotry .

No... when you enter a property on the market for rent, or lease, and whether temporarily or long term, you fall under the Federal fair housing act.

Don't go changing the meaning to your words either. You said to whom ever the owner feels like regardless.

You obviously do support bigotry .

yes, I understand what the laws state. I didn't say the laws said anything differently. Your statement is irrelevant.

I support freedom and people being able to do with their property and labor as they like. If the community doesn't like it, they are free to boycott and exercise informed consumerism to push businesses out. A business operates on profit, if you affect that, you affect the business.

Duh.

yes, I understand what the laws state. I didn't say the laws said anything differently. Your statement is irrelevant.

I support freedom and people being able to do with their property and labor as they like. If the community doesn't like it, they are free to boycott and exercise informed consumerism to push businesses out. A business operates on profit, if you affect that, you affect the business.

Duh.

And I hope the next minority or gay couple would sue you azz off.

It's common for filipinos to have spanish names (as a former spanish colony, but there's a variety of indigenious languages they as a people speak, with the most common being tagalog (which is referred to as Filipino in the law of the Philippines) and that (along with english) are the official languages of the Philippines.

See the spanish mandated their language as the official language, but unlike their former colonies in South America, only a percentage of Filipinos were ever educated, and most spoke their native languages, and after the US took possession of the country education became more universal and by then Filinpinos were being educated in English and Tagalog and not spanish, very few Filipinos today fleuntly communicate in spanish, and most of those who do are people like Lawyers because many legal documents like property deeds and the like dating before the Spanish American war are written in spanish.

Odd. I know most of the Filipinos I've encountered here had Spanish names and, sometimes, accents. What I don't know is how long they'd been here or what area or circumstances they came from. They were well-spoken and seemed prosperous and one family owned a fair-sized produce and grocery store that did well despite being across the parking lot from a T & T Market.

lol... where to begin

1) Individual property rights are not absolute. The only "fundamental truth" of property rights is that they are social constructs.

1a) We are under no obligation to consider property rights as more fundamental than civil rights.

2) Tenants are not seizing the property of a landlord.

3) The existence of regulations not mean the regulator is seizing the property of the landlord.

4) It is abundantly clear that landlord-tenant relations lead to all sorts of abuses, on all sides, if not well regulated. Discrimination is just one of many such examples.

5) If you're a landlord, you've made a contract that yes, obligates you to perform certain types of labor. Them's the breaks.

Back
Top Bottom