• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Asians Only' Apartment Listing Draws Attention to Landlord

I support freedom and people being able to do with their property and labor as they like. If the community doesn't like it, they are free to boycott and exercise informed consumerism to push businesses out.
I'd support that... if it worked. Which it doesn't. At all.

In fact, hoping that the amoral free market will in any way address wide-spread and structural ethical failures is, as the kids say today, an Epic Fail.

OK...you are either a racist, or another person who discriminates anyone regardless of ethnicity.

Either way, it speaks volumes about who you are.

He indiscriminately discriminates. That's my kind of people. I like him.

Don't forget me, I discriminate indiscriminately too. :mrgreen: Wait a second here....there's a bad joke in there somewhere. How can I be discriminate if I indiscriminately discriminate? In theory this cant be done! Yet I do it every day. I wonder, does this mean he and I have super powers?

In fact, hoping that the amoral free market will in any way address wide-spread and structural ethical failures is, as the kids say today, an Epic Fail.

Switzerland.

lol... where to begin

1) Individual property rights are not absolute. The only "fundamental truth" of property rights is that they are social constructs.

1a) We are under no obligation to consider property rights as more fundamental than civil rights.

2) Tenants are not seizing the property of a landlord.

3) The existence of regulations not mean the regulator is seizing the property of the landlord.

4) It is abundantly clear that landlord-tenant relations lead to all sorts of abuses, on all sides, if not well regulated. Discrimination is just one of many such examples.

5) If you're a landlord, you've made a contract that yes, obligates you to perform certain types of labor. Them's the breaks.

Given that the third and fourth amendment are direct expressions of property rights I'd argue that they are in fact more fundamental than civil rights.

Cannot be faulted for the inactivity or ignorance of the People. Free is a dangerous and complex state that requires constant research and activity to keep. If a community is unwilling to participate in intelligent consumerism and befalls negative consequences because of it...that's on them.

Yi Zhou told CTV News he posted the ad on behalf of the landlord, who doesn’t speak much English. He said the reason the owner was seeking an Asian tenant was to avoid a language barrier. “There was white people partying every day and doing drugs, that guy couldn’t communicate with him,” Zhou said. The ad is no longer on the site. Zhou says he took it down because Schulz said it raised concerns, but the suite was rented to an Asian tenant the next day.
Landlord under fire for 'Asian only' rental ad | CTV Vancouver News

The owner of the apartment is a Chinese immigrant who may have just immigrated to Canada on a millionaire visa. Since this person does not speak English, he may be unfamiliar with local regulations banning tenancy discrimination. Chinese and Korean immigrants tend to flock together in their ethnic communities in North America and tenants of this apartment block may be all Chinese.

The IIP - which required applicants worth a minimum of C$1.6 million to loan Canada C$800,000 interest free for five years - had become the world’s most popular means of wealth migration, allowing tens of thousands of rich Hongkongers and mainlanders into Canada over its 28-year history. But it recently attracted far more applications than could be processed, and Ottawa announced it would be axed in February’s federal budget.

Last edited:
The owner of the apartment is a Chinese immigrant who may have just immigrated to Canada on a millionaire visa. Since this person does not speak English, he may be unfamiliar with local regulations banning tenancy discrimination. Chinese and Korean immigrants tend to flock together in their ethnic communities in North America and tenants of this apartment block may be all Chinese.

Thank you, I'm unaware of renting laws in Asian countries. Is it legal to only rent to one specific race or ethnicity in Hong Kong and China?

Landlord should be allowed to do.as he likes.

I assume that's a universal statement, and I don't disagree. However, that's not the way the law works.

I assume that's a universal statement, and I don't disagree. However, that's not the way the law works.

I wasn't commenting on the law. It's why I said "should", not "may".

Discrimination is fairly open in Asian cultures.

I was reading a story several years back about an irish woman in Korea trying to get a job teaching english, one place she applied told her "you speak the wrong english, our customers want to talk like an American" another sent her a letter of rejection actually listing "known problems with alcoholism amongst your people"

Haha, I've heard of black Americans with college degrees who travel to Korea for English teaching jobs, only to find the same thing. There have been cases of Korean parents pulling their kids out of English class when they found out the teacher was black.

In reality, I doubt that you would support such a thing.

Well it's great that you know my opinions better than I do. Can you help me remember birthdays of my family members too, since you're obviously my head? I always forget.

Thanks.

S Korea was not bad for me as a white guy. Even in Gumi, where I never saw another white guy. Koreans were great and friendly.

I was kicked out of one place in Tokyo. For being a round eye. And working in China made me furious. I was told they think we are closer to monkeys because we have hair on our arms and legs. I said well you needed a monkey to do a job that 1.6B Chinese couldnt. That went over well. Constantly refused service. Although never asked to leave. Just ignored, pushed out of the way. I push back. Harder. And they are all half my size.

That experience really changed my opinion of the black community. Not that I believe in white privilege.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading a story several years back about an irish woman in Korea trying to get a job teaching english, one place she applied told her "you speak the wrong english, our customers want to talk like an American" another sent her a letter of rejection actually listing "known problems with alcoholism amongst your people"

Haha, I've heard of black Americans with college degrees who travel to Korea for English teaching jobs, only to find the same thing. There have been cases of Korean parents pulling their kids out of English class when they found out the teacher was black.

As a former language student, I can tell you that it's impossible to understand various regional accents such as Irish, Australian and African American accents if you're learning English. We prefer straight forward American English spoken by actors on Friends. As a translator, I can now tell the difference between Irish and Scottish accents but most language students can't.

Last edited:
Well it's great that you know my opinions better than I do. Can you help me remember birthdays of my family members too, since you're obviously my head? I always forget.

Thanks.

If your landlord decides to evict you, based on you not fitting his racial preference, you're going to respect his wishes without protest?

As a former language student, I can tell you that it's impossible to understand various regional accents such as Irish, Australian and African American accents if you're learning English. We prefer straight forward American English spoken by actors on Friends. As a translator, I can now tell the difference between Irish and Scottish accents but most language students can't.

I've noticed that your signature picture changes every time I view this thread. Well done :lol: Nice variety.

I don't think landlords should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race. It doesn't add value to society to legalize the marginal disadvantage of its minorities. Working together makes us stronger, not weaker.

I don't think it's unusual for other countries to hold beliefs that we might find rather controversial, and i don't think it's appropriate to then hold those beliefs against all members of whatever races are best represented in those countries.

If your landlord decides to evict you, based on you not fitting his racial preference, you're going to respect his wishes without protest?

It's why I own my own house.

Apparently Canadian law views this as freedom of speech, and therefore no legal repercussions will follow. I remember much scrutiny of Donald Trump by the media, as well as here at DP when allegations were made about an apartment complex he owned at one time in the 1970s.

He was accused of preferring white tenants and denounced as an unthinkable person, even though I don't believe that those allegations were ever proven correct.

It all depends on who is doing something questionable I guess.

You can post that advert, but cannot deny renting based upon ethnicity. You were cheery picking.
And when proven that discrimination did take place they levy heavy fines.

You can post that advert, but cannot deny renting based upon ethnicity. You were cheery picking.
And when proven that discrimination did take place they levy heavy fines.

Thanks Janfu.

Thanks Janfu.

From what I recall a person denied rental based upon ethnicity- religion and such can take this to a Human Rights Tribunal. This fellow just made their case.

Back
Top Bottom