• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Asiana to sue S.F. TV station over bogus pilot names

Re: I Feel So Guilty for laughing......................................

shocking ... and people might think it's funny if there was a report on a Sanford, FL, TV station that Al Sharpton fell and cracked his head on the edge of a sidewalk ... what's happening to us, people?

I hereby banish thee back to the Z/M forum until thy mind is out of the gutter.

shocking ... and people might think it's funny if there was a report on a Sanford, FL, TV station that Al Sharpton fell and cracked his head on the edge of a sidewalk ... what's happening to us, people?
Damn. I'm laughing again. I feel so guilty. I'm going outside and spit on my grandmother's shadow.

It is possible to hold thoughts of sympathy for a terrible tragedy and humor over a silly joke at the same time.

That is human nature and there's nothing wrong with that sort of tension relieving laughter. If I had the slightest thought that it was cruel, I wouldn't have started the thread.

I want to know a couple things:

It says the intern only "confirmed" the names, not supplied them. Does that mean someone at the station got a funny spam/joke email and then seriously forwarded it to the agency for confirmation? I can understand if an intern, upon getting such ludicrous names and getting the joke, gave a "confirmation" sarcasticly.

Oh, man! This is absolutely fantastic. We to low! LOL! She read this on the air. Oh, how stupid. Who was the reporter, I So Dim? Just great, thank you, main stream media dummies!

Ask yourself, if I had lost my child in the crash, would I think it was still funny?
Ask yourself this...if you lost a child in the crash, would you be pissed at the TV station for getting punked or would you be pissed at the airline for not being able to land a plane?

It's a very gray and gloomy world you live in, then. Racial and language differences are often a source of humor, and it's not pejorative except to those with a chip on the shoulder. In this case, yes, it's somewhat insensitive and bone headed, but it's still funny. And yes, I absolutely hate myself for laughing. Now, can we move on to redneck jokes, Polish jokes, WASP jokes - you know, the one's you think are funny. I don't see any evil intent here.

actually, I live in a pretty cheery world ... and one reason it's cheery is because I don't think it's funny to make racist jokes about plane crashes where people, including children, were killed or seriously injured ...

and while redneck and polish jokes are not the equivalent of jokes about people being killed in a crash car, I'm not not crazy about them either, especially if you don't know the other people in the conversation who may be bigots ... Why do ethnic jokes "work?" ... they work because of the stereotypes they help to reinforce ... if you make jokes about blacks and watermelons, it's not funny without the stereotype, for example ... I can see making these jokes with friends you know aren't bigots, but on a thread like this? I'll pass, but knock yourself out hum ...

That'd make it even funnier, but I have weird coping mechanisms.

good for you, if not for your loved ones ...

Ask yourself, if I had lost my child in the crash, would I think it was still funny?

If you lost a child the last thing on your mind would be a petty joke on a tv station.

Ask yourself this...if you lost a child in the crash, would you be pissed at the TV station for getting punked or would you be pissed at the airline for not being able to land a plane?

is it really an either/or? really?

If you lost a child the last thing on your mind would be a petty joke on a tv station.

true, but what that has to do with my concerns about racist jokes about a fatal plane crash is beyond me ...

The same airline that just got done killing three people due to an unqualified pilot with 35 hrs. flying time now has the audacity to sue?????!!!! The CEO of that airline must be Mi Az Hol

I guess you don't know how pilot certification and training works.

The pilot flying only had 35 hours in the Boeing 777 but the Captain, the man responsible for the flight, was fully qualified and was training the pilot flying on the aircraft. Training "new to the plane" co-pilots on passenger flights is routine even for US carriers.

true, but what that has to do with my concerns about racist jokes about a fatal plane crash is beyond me ...

Gallows humor has a long history. So do jokes based on stereotypes. There are much more important things to worry about

Gallows humor has a long history. So do jokes based on stereotypes. There are much more important things to worry about

yes, there are more important things to worry about, but, again, what does that have to do with what we're talking about? ... at least let the bodies get cold before you start making racist jokes about how they died ... Good compromise?

Yeah...it kinda is.

actually, it was a rhetorical question ... you can be concerned about both, and even be more concerned about one than the other ... Another question ... Can you chew gum and walk at the same time?

Seriously?.....they aired that?

I don't know that it's worth suing over but I don't believe they didn't know the names were false.

I don't know that it's worth suing over but I don't believe they didn't know the names were false.

I can't imagine even the most brain dead program manager not catching that. Stupid doesn't even begin to cover it.

I can't imagine even the most brain dead program manager not catching that. Stupid doesn't even begin to cover it.

It was too obvious to even be funny. The story was definitely a let down for me.

I was interested to see what clever names fooled the reporters but that was ridiculous.

I find it rather puzzling that Asiana is would focus their legal staff on this, as opposed to the mountain of lawsuits surely headed their way.

actually, I live in a pretty cheery world ... and one reason it's cheery is because I don't think it's funny to make racist jokes about plane crashes where people, including children, were killed or seriously injured ...

and while redneck and polish jokes are not the equivalent of jokes about people being killed in a crash car, I'm not not crazy about them either, especially if you don't know the other people in the conversation who may be bigots ... Why do ethnic jokes "work?" ... they work because of the stereotypes they help to reinforce ... if you make jokes about blacks and watermelons, it's not funny without the stereotype, for example ... I can see making these jokes with friends you know aren't bigots, but on a thread like this? I'll pass, but knock yourself out hum ...
I'm happy for you. I'm not at all anxious to descend into a discussion of bigotry and racism. I would point out, in contrast to your gloomy assessment, that having viewed the crash of this plane several times, I think it amazing that so many people lived. That may help your cheery world along, or maybe it'll at least cut into the suffering part of it all. Try to think of it that way for a minute. Maybe more.

I know what you said ... I just thought it was irrelevant ... what is relevant is that no one should be laughing about racist jokes involving the tragic deaths and injuries to these people ...

So you're saying it's wrong to point out that they can't pilot any better than they drive?

What the network did was incredibly stupid. Any good for anything news reporter or presenter should have realized when reading out the material (and I would hope they do before going live on the air) that there was an issue with the names. And if they did not it should have been noticed by the staff working for the news that it was totally wrong.

However, the only victims in here is the network itself for looking incredibly stupid.

Back
Top Bottom