• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Asian Privilege

Asians, at least from several particular countries, as a general rule place higher value on success and education than many other cultures do. You can deny that if you want, and blame someone else to rationalize the other culture's failings, but if anything is a root reason, this is it.

You are only talking about Asian Americans.

I'm going to presume you are unfamiliar with Southeast Asian "Boat People", primarily Vietnamese, from the 1970s and 1980s. They weren't "the best". They were refugees and they were poor and destitute. Many of them did things like come here at 12 years old, not speaking a word of English, and still graduating Valedictorian of their high school class, on time, and speaking perfect English. And it wasn't an odd occurrence, it was common. Sorry, but your perception is incorrect.

I have been to Asia. My perceptions are entirely accurate. Do you know nothing about the poverty and inadequate education in East Asia? As somebody has already explained, the experiences of Asian refugees are varied. You're simply cherry picking a group of refugees to reinforce your attitude towards Asians. Asia is the most populated continent in the whole world. The ethnic groups and cultural traditions are various, and yet, you have them all packed into your neat little box.

I have been to Asia. My perceptions are entirely accurate. Do you know nothing about the poverty and inadequate education in East Asia? As somebody has already explained, the experiences of Asian refugees are varied. You're simply cherry picking a group of refugees to reinforce your attitude towards Asians. Asia is the most populated continent in the whole world. The ethnic groups and cultural traditions are various, and yet, you have them all packed into your neat little box.
I guess that settles it. You are THE authority on all things Asian.

:roll:

An amusing claim- perhaps you should familiarize yourself with dog psychology. Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer, claims that dogs do not have nearly as much personality as we imagine that they do. He says that their behaviors are, essentially, conditioned reflexes and that you can change any dogs behavior.

Intelligence is heavily under our own control.

Ref : Mindset: How You Can Fulfil Your Potential by Carol Dweck

Or you can ignore psychology and blather on about intelligence being determined by race.

I've seen the adopted Chinese kid totally outperform the natural born kid in more than one American family so far. So...I beg to differ. Were talking anything from mastering the piano and multiple languages to nailing straight A's even after skipping a few grades. In short, the American kids looked like dummies next to the adopted Asians. Totally different behavior patterns too--impulse control again.

I've seen the adopted Chinese kid totally outperform the natural born kid in more than one American family so far. So...I beg to differ. Were talking anything from mastering the piano and multiple languages to nailing straight A's even after skipping a few grades. In short, the American kids looked like dummies next to the adopted Asians.

More than one anecdote ? Still just as unconvincing.

I've seen the adopted Chinese kid totally outperform the natural born kid in more than one American family so far. So...I beg to differ. Were talking anything from mastering the piano and multiple languages to nailing straight A's even after skipping a few grades. In short, the American kids looked like dummies next to the adopted Asians. Totally different behavior patterns too--impulse control again.

I think you made need to look into sample sizes there. Sure they may get straight As but give them a problem without explicit instructions or defined solutions and all that ends.

Liberal bull****. Funny how we all know that genes matter when buying a dog. Their temperament and ability to learn is 100% dependent on their bitch and stud. But, for some reason, when it comes to people, we are supposed to ignore genes and assume that every kid can become Einstein as long as we raise them correctly.

Since it's pretty much the most important distinguishing characteristic of humanity, to say that one race is inherently less intelligent than another would be a very unpleasant conclusion to reach. Or only bigots would consider it pleasant or be happy to conclude such, at least. Obviously therefore, anyone who isn't eager to reach that conclusion will and should look into every alternative possibility, turn over every stone and demand a very high standard of evidence before accepting it as true.

Anecdotal evidence and broad-brush IQ surveys ignoring complicating factors simply don't cut the mustard in my opinion, especially since there's plenty of contrary evidence out there too. I'd call that basic human dignity and giving each other the benefit of the doubt, but you can call it "liberal bull****" if you want.

The racial stereotyping here is pretty nutso.

Most landed Asian immigrants in the previous generations were poor in America. Their children did better.

The statistics and racial assumptions also overlook the amount of East Asian wealth pouring into the western world right now, especially from China. Through the practice of guanxi, the landed wealthy get setup with their business partners in high paying jobs in America. Those individuals have more money on arrival than the multi-generational families who were already here from decades ago.

I'd love to see those stats even just 15 years ago. I bet without Chinese wealth in the equation the numbers would look much different. There are literally millions of nouveau riche pouring out of China and relocating all over the world.

Statistically, education is the closest correlator to one's measure financial success. And attaining adequate financial success is itself a strong correlator with one's quaity of life in terms of health, safety, crime, violence, etc.
completely agree

It breaks my heart to see the anti-education mood in some areas of the country, and within some sects of society. What the hell these people are thinking, and who's marching orders they're following, are beyond me! :doh
when people go on and one about blacks with equal opportunity if only they weren't lazy, they should have to send their kids to an inner city school...bet those schools would improve in a nano second

I guess that settles it. You are THE authority on all things Asian.

:roll:

It does not take an expert to understand your that your sterotypes of Asian people does not come close to encompassing all Asian people. In fact, your stereotypes of Asians is limited to just the American and well educated. Many parts of East Asia is extremely poor and far from well educated.

I tend to loath hearing anybody talk about ethic groups in generalities. My aunt constantly says that the Americans who have been here for generations are the laziest and the underachievers, because immigrants like her come with goals and something to offer. Its not easy to get into America on your own merit. I will admit that, but I don't agree with her about everything else.

The graph is simply reinfocing white acceptance and benevolent racism many white Americans feel towards that entire ethnic group. If you actually go to east Asia, you'll see there are poor farmers, laborers, people involved in petty street crime, people involved in organized crime, etc. Asians are not running to America in the form of refugees, and it's hard to immigrate to America. Americans let the best in, hence, you have highly educated Asians. You also have very highly educated and wealthy Arabs and west Asians practicing medicine, science, and technology. There is a high percentage of doctors from the middle east, but because there is also a influx of poor refugees the Syrians, Indians, etc. aren't seen as beneficial to America.

Um. The point is that it isn't race that holds you back.

Since it's pretty much the most important distinguishing characteristic of humanity, to say that one race is inherently less intelligent than another would be a very unpleasant conclusion to reach. Or only bigots would consider it pleasant or be happy to conclude such, at least. Obviously therefore, anyone who isn't eager to reach that conclusion will and should look into every alternative possibility, turn over every stone and demand a very high standard of evidence before accepting it as true.

Anecdotal evidence and broad-brush IQ surveys ignoring complicating factors simply don't cut the mustard in my opinion, especially since there's plenty of contrary evidence out there too. I'd call that basic human dignity and giving each other the benefit of the doubt, but you can call it "liberal bull****" if you want.

Obviously there are many highly intelligent Black people and some really stupid Asians. So, nothing is 100%. But, when you look at IQ measurement of Cameroon and compare it to that of Singapore, the conclusion becomes pretty obvious.

But, liberals hate to admit the obvious. So, I understand.

I didn't say that. You seem to have a hard time understanding how education works.

Do you think the average African American has had the same educational level as the average Asian American ? Lol...

I don't care how much money Jewish American immigrants had. The fact is that if they knew how to read, write, and do basic arithmetic, they were already given a huge head start over slaves.

Yes they are all in the same classes, at least they were in my school.

What is the difference then? Why does one group excel and the other not.

There were no slaves in 1945, in case you were not aware.

Blacks did know how to read and write in 1945 just like everybody else in the country.

Now try another excuse why people that were persecuted then came to the US without a dime in their pockets excelled whereas a native group can't.

Yes they are all in the same classes, at least they were in my school.

What is the difference then? Why does one group excel and the other not.

There were no slaves in 1945, in case you were not aware.

Blacks did know how to read and write in 1945 just like everybody else in the country.

Now try another excuse why people that were persecuted then came to the US without a dime in their pockets excelled whereas a native group can't.

Do you think it helps to have parents with higher socioeconomic and/or educational background in school ?

Do you think it helps to have parents with higher socioeconomic and/or educational background in school ?

Are you talking asians, blacks or Jewish people?

Obviously there are many highly intelligent Black people and some really stupid Asians. So, nothing is 100%. But, when you look at IQ measurement of Cameroon and compare it to that of Singapore, the conclusion becomes pretty obvious.

But, liberals hate to admit the obvious. So, I understand.

You are comparing a third-world country with a barely existent educational system to a highly developed first-world country? Where do you get these insane comparisons?

You are comparing a third-world country with a barely existent educational system to a highly developed first-world country? Where do you get these insane comparisons?
Have you ever stopped to consider *why* one is first-world and the other is third-world?

Have you ever stopped to consider *why* one is first-world and the other is third-world?

Different histories and different developments, Singapore had good education and economy at independence, Cameroon never had any at any point.

Sooooo... they just kinda popped up that way.

Well they both had very different circumstances Cameroon was never developed because it was solely exploited for its resources and the inhabitants used as cheap labour, the Europeans never built schools or gave them capital and assets to create developed economy. Singapore was a very important trading hub for the British in South-East Asia and it was developed as such, they built schools and established Singapore's future as a trading power.

Only to those who are predisposed towards the conclusion that Africans are inherently less intelligent. Or perhaps to those who are less intelligent themselves :lol: Carjosse has already mentioned the (extremely obvious) point of differences in education systems. Another fairly obvious point is differences in how mentally stimulating children's environments are even before formal schooling.

Yet another extremely obvious point is differences in adult and especially childhood nutrition affecting development, particularly of the brain. Exactly which dietary deficiencies have the greatest impacts might not be so obvious, but only people who are obstinately unwilling or utterly incapable of exerting thirty seconds of mental effort on the question could imagine that widespread undernourishment would have no physiological consequences.

One example:
Scottish IQ Study Confirms Cognitive Value of Fish Oil

World fish consumption per capita and per year
0319-1-consomation-EN-50873.jpg

Well, then maybe certain lower IQ people living in this country should try being more like the people of Singapore and less like those of Cameroon...assuming they are smart enough to understand why that should be their aim. :roll:

Only to those who are predisposed towards the conclusion that Africans are inherently less intelligent. Or perhaps to those who are less intelligent themselves :lol: Carjosse has already mentioned the (extremely obvious) point of differences in education systems. Another fairly obvious point is differences in how mentally stimulating children's environments are even before formal schooling.

Yet another extremely obvious point is differences in adult and especially childhood nutrition affecting development, particularly of the brain. Exactly which dietary deficiencies have the greatest impacts might not be so obvious, but only people who are obstinately unwilling or utterly incapable of exerting thirty seconds of mental effort on the question could imagine that widespread undernourishment would have no physiological consequences.

One example:
Scottish IQ Study Confirms Cognitive Value of Fish Oil

World fish consumption per capita and per year
0319-1-consomation-EN-50873.jpg

Lol...blame poor salary performance of Blacks on the lack of fish oil. At least that makes more sense than blaming it on slavery, racism and Jim Crow.

Back
Top Bottom