• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As schools begin to reopen, a very important poll question.... :)

How do you pronounce "crayons"?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I love listening to how other people pronounce things. I was laughed at in college for how I say "pajamas" and people in the deep south say the /oi/ sound oddly.

In honor of school starting, how do you say "crayons"?

I love listening to how other people pronounce things. I was laughed at in college for how I say "pajamas" and people in the deep south say the /oi/ sound oddly.

kraa-ins matured to cra-yons; thinkin' maybe, I can get 3 syllables from that word with a little effort.
fun day to you.

Cra-yins

How did you pronounce pajamas?

Should be pa- jam-us, right?

How did you pronounce pajamas?

Should be pa- jam-us, right?

Yes, /jam/ as the second syllable. Apparently almost every region in the US says "puh-JAW-mahs".

Yes, /jam/ as the second syllable. Apparently almost every region in the US says "puh-JAW-mahs".

You and I are correct.

Recently I was teasing a Canadian neighbor about some of their pronunciations.

And I brought up their pronunciation of sorry. She then asked me where was the "a". I was stumped.

Just comparing our sorry and sordid. The first syllables are pronounced completely differently.

You and I are correct.

And I brought up their pronunciation of sorry. She then asked me where was the "a". I was stumped.

Just comparing our sorry and sordid. The first syllables are pronounced completely differently.
Easiest way to spot a Canuck is have them say, "roof"!

You and I are correct.

Canadians say "pasta" and "bag" funny to me too.

Easiest way to spot a Canuck is have them say, "roof"!

I'm not sure I've heard a Canadian say that word. How do they pronounce it?

I'm not sure I've heard a Canadian say that word. How do they pronounce it?
'O' like a long 'u', and almost in two syllables.

'Rue - oof'!

'O' like a long 'u', and almost in two syllables.

'Rue - oof'!

I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what that sounds like. I wonder if there is a Canadian Fiddler on the Roof I can watch.

I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what that sounds like. I wonder if there is a Canadian Fiddler on the Roof I can watch.
It's what happens when you're loyal to the Crown, but are North American! :2razz:

Imagine this below, but a bit more bi-syllabic sounding with a strong "long 'u'" thing going-on (to my ears):

Theres actually a 5th pronunciation, because there are 2 different ways people say your "cray-on" option ^above. They pronounce the o in "on" either hard or soft. So its either like "cray-ahn" or "cray-On". I say it more like "cray-ahn".

Theres actually a 5th pronunciation, because there are 2 different ways people say your "cray-on" option ^above. They pronounce the o in "on" either hard or soft. So its either like "cray-ahn" or "cray-On". I say it more like "cray-ahn".

Hard or soft o? You mean short or long?

Short o - off
Long o - open

It's what happens when you're loyal to the Crown, but are North American! :2razz:

Imagine this below, but a bit more bi-syllabic sounding with a strong "long 'u'" thing going-on (to my ears):

That girl mustve been having a bad day, or just finished a major argument with someone, because she doesnt look too psyched to be pronouncing words on video just then!

That girl mustve been having a bad day, or just finished a major argument with someone, because she doesnt look too psyched to be pronouncing words on video just then!
It's a British thing! :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom