• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As Russia’s war fails, domestic turmoil is intensifying

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Military failure in Ukraine is undermining the stability of the Russian state. The Kremlin has tried to disguise its war losses to prevent negative domestic reactions, but the reality of failure is becoming increasingly obvious, most recently in the retreat from Kherson soon after the region was constitutionally incorporated in the Russian Federation. Russia’s convulsions are evident in high-level criticisms of state policy, purges in the military, political, and economic structures, conflicts within the security institutions, resistance to mobilization and mounting regional unrest. Russia’ s military lost the battles for Kyiv, Kharkiv and Kherson, and continues to lose ground in other occupied territories. Its war losses are enormous, with a conservative estimate of over 80,000 dead, incapacitated or captured, together with several thousand destroyed or captured aircraft, tanks and other heavy equipment. These staggering losses have seriously depleted military capabilities and decimated elite units. Internal Russian criticisms over the planning and conduct of the war have mushroomed despite strict state censorship. Russia’s first mass mobilization since World War II has provoked widespread discontent. Almost 1 million men fled the country to avoid mobilization, and several thousand were arrested at anti-war protests in more than 50 cities.

There is frequent reshuffling of the Russian command structure and a constant purge of senior officers blamed for a poorly designed war strategy. Alongside the military purges, there has been a spate of suspicious deaths among oligarchs and critics of the Kremlin. At least a dozen Russian oligarchs have died in unexplained circumstances. Disputes between security institutions have mushroomed. Yevgeniy Prigozhin, who controls the Wagner paramilitary groups, has lambasted Russia’s military commanders and Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu and Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov. The terrain is opening for alternative voices, particularly for nations and regions demanding independence, including the recently established Free Nations of Post-Russia. By assembling émigré activists from several nations and regions, including the Middle Volga, Siberia, the North Caucasus and Russia’s Northwest, they are giving voice to long-suppressed aspirations for liberation. Vitriolic Kremlin attacks on such initiatives underscore its fears of growing challenges to Moscow’s rule as Russia faces a grueling winter of defeat in Ukraine.

For the past week Vladimir Putin has disappeared from public view, with Kremlin aides providing war updates.

The question I have is it better to deal with the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

The question I have is it better to deal with the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

The Devil we do know - Vladimir Putin - is engaging in war crimes, mass murder, and genocide.

I don't see how it can get much worse.

The Devil we do know - Vladimir Putin - is engaging in war crimes, mass murder, and genocide.

I'm sure it can get worse, mostly for the Russian military.

The silver lining for me is that Russia is no longer America's boogeyman.

If this war has proven anything, it's that Russia is a paper tiger.

I'm sure it can get worse, mostly for the Russian military.

I don't give a rat's ass about the Russian military.

The silver lining for me is that Russia is no longer America's boogeyman.

If this war has proven anything, it's that Russia is a paper tiger.

A nuclear-armed "paper tiger" that regularly interferes in US elections.

I don't give a rat's ass about the Russian military.

A nuclear-armed "paper tiger" that regularly interferes in US elections.

You're engaging in arguments from hysteria.

You're engaging in arguments from hysteria.

Interfering in our elections may be fine with you Trumpers, but not with most Americans.

Former Marine.... try another sophomoric tack.

Former Army here, you're engaging in hysteria from propaganda.

Don't you remember in the 80's how Russia was demonized to the troops?

We were ready to kill them just because they were born in Russia! I even have PROOF!

Well if the devil you know is torturing, raping and murdering you, I say go with the devil you don't know and see what happens.

Well if the devil you know is torturing, raping and murdering you, I say go with the devil you don't know and see what happens.

The devil you know, or the bogeyman you have crafted?

are we in 1916/17 already or still in 1915 ?

map from 1918:

1668960125250.png

Back
Top Bottom