• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As it's made: Seafood Gumbo (easy style) crock po

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Aiight, I'm making some seafood gumbo. It's a different style then I normally do it, you'll see as it goes on, but the basics are the same. I didn't feel like making a rue and and all that so I cheated today ;) It's not that much different in terms of end product. So without further adieu here is he start of meal, I let my Gumbo cook over a long period of time.

20150228_103924.jpg
I use two boxes of the Zatarans Gumbo base, and two boxes fo unsalted chicken stock. That's a 12 quart crock pot btw. Also some gumbo veggies, a can of lump crab meat and three blue crabs cleaned for gumbo action. I mix the base into the stock and then turn to the next step.

20150228_104550.jpg'
Yeah, that's a cermaic frying pan. Never used it before, should be fun. I use two cubes of garlic for this, just to give it flavor. You might be asking what's that sausage? It's Andouille. One large onion and yes, artichoke heart. I like the brine that it brings to the meal. I used 3 tbls of butter and a tbls of oil to cook the veggies.

20150228_105534.jpg

After I put the onion and sausage in the mix I then cook the artichoke so it's got some brown on it then add to the mix. Finally, veggies.
20150228_110300.jpg

More as I add it, probably 4-5 hours from now. Today is going to see Alaskan Cod (the red snapper was 22 bucks a pound and looked like ****e) one lobster tail, 1 pound of gulf shrimp and 2 calamari steaks.

It should be most interesting.

I just had a mess of gumbo this past Thursday night. Too much just ain't enough.

Crap. reminds me I have some oyster I need to cook.

Aiight, I'm making some seafood gumbo. It's a different style then I normally do it, you'll see as it goes on, but the basics are the same. I didn't feel like making a rue and and all that so I cheated today ;) It's not that much different in terms of end product. So without further adieu here is he start of meal, I let my Gumbo cook over a long period of time.

Having been well-practiced at cooking Southern La style food for most of my adulthood, there is one trick that I picked up, that you will RARELY see anyone from there do, and it's to bake the roux, rather than cook it on the stovetop. It's an excellent way to do it, and failsafe- I've never burned one by baking it. I mix equal parts of a high-burn-point oil and flour, and bake at 350 degrees, stirring every 30 minutes, until it's reached the color I like. I have a small cast iron pot that I use for only this purpose. Once you try it, you'll probably never want to stove-top roux again. Seriously.

Having been well-practiced at cooking Southern La style food for most of my adulthood, there is one trick that I picked up, that you will RARELY see anyone from there do, and it's to bake the roux, rather than cook it on the stovetop. It's an excellent way to do it, and failsafe- I've never burned one by baking it. I mix equal parts of a high-burn-point oil and flour, and bake at 350 degrees, stirring every 30 minutes, until it's reached the color I like. I have a small cast iron pot that I use for only this purpose. Once you try it, you'll probably never want to stove-top roux again. Seriously.

Haven't tried that....

Last edited:
Okay so, Gumbo was eaten. Phone had died, so no pics of cutting squid steaks, lobster or cod. I did screw up big time. I didn't have any tabasco sauce. Oh hey, frozen ghost pepper? Mallet? Crush ghost pepper, put in gumbo! I just wanted to give it a kick. Kick was most certainly given.

20150228_162235.jpg

I made Gumbo and it came out screwed up. They had me put rice in it from the beginning. Boy was that mistake, huge mistake. It turned Gumbo to mush. It was terrible, but pretty bad. Don't ever try that!

Okay so, Gumbo was eaten. Phone had died, so no pics of cutting squid steaks, lobster or cod. I did screw up big time. I didn't have any tabasco sauce. Oh hey, frozen ghost pepper? Mallet? Crush ghost pepper, put in gumbo! I just wanted to give it a kick. Kick was most certainly given.

View attachment 67181193

You put ghost peppers in? :lol:

Yeah.. just one. It... was more intense tgen anticipated.
Now, Mr V, you should know better than to be expermenting with the peppers. So. La cuisine uses cayenne or tobasco, or occasionally green bells lol.

Now, Mr V, you should know better than to be expermenting with the peppers. So. La cuisine uses cayenne or tobasco, or occasionally green bells lol.

I had no tobasco...

Back
Top Bottom