• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As Expected, Amazon Prime Day sucks

Cephus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Wow, every time they do one of these big sales, Amazon never fails to disappoint. There isn't a single thing on there that I have the slightest interest in. I went through my want list, and my want list is extensive, more than 300 items, and not one was discounted for Prime Day. So I figured that since my oldest daughter wants a new PS4 for when she goes back to college at the end of next month, I could find one. Nope. Not a PS4 offered at all. Xbox Ones, sure, but no PS4s. I went looking for discounted Blurays. Not a one I'd ever buy. The whole thing is just their way of getting crap that doesn't sell out of their warehouses, there's nothing that most people would ever want to buy at any price.

Oh well, I expected as much. Way to stay classy Amazon, never disrupt anyone's bad expectations.

Wow, every time they do one of these big sales, Amazon never fails to disappoint. There isn't a single thing on there that I have the slightest interest in. I went through my want list, and my want list is extensive, more than 300 items, and not one was discounted for Prime Day. So I figured that since my oldest daughter wants a new PS4 for when she goes back to college at the end of next month, I could find one. Nope. Not a PS4 offered at all. Xbox Ones, sure, but no PS4s. I went looking for discounted Blurays. Not a one I'd ever buy. The whole thing is just their way of getting crap that doesn't sell out of their warehouses, there's nothing that most people would ever want to buy at any price.

Oh well, I expected as much. Way to stay classy Amazon, never disrupt anyone's bad expectations.

Completely agree, big let down.

The only plusses were you could buy a $50 gift card and get $10 credit applied to your account (free money!)

and you could buy dash buttons for $1 instead of $5, and still get the $5 on the first press (free money!)

I've never been a big fan of Amazon, and yeah, every Prime Day just seems to suck.

I've never been a big fan of Amazon, and yeah, every Prime Day just seems to suck.

And every year, they say it will be amazing, they fixed all the problems and it has all the same problems.

They just made me a "Prime" member, and the only thing I know about it so far is that I can watch some movies for free. I watched Interstellar the other day for free.

I'm usually leery of "big events" like this for the reasons you describe. I generally never even try.

I thought, though, that things were rolled out throughout the day, and only for a few hours. Don't know if that is accurate, but if it is that alone would keep me away. I have things to do, and they don't include watching Amazon like a hawk.

They just made me a "Prime" member, and the only thing I know about it so far is that I can watch some movies for free. I watched Interstellar the other day for free.

Biggest perk for me is free two-day shipping. Order Saturday. Get Monday. I order lots from Amazon. Also, I have the Amazon Echo. Wonderful! Great speakers, too. It accesses iHeart Radio, Pandora, and Prime Music and belts out thousands of songs on voice command.

Love Amazon.

Biggest perk for me is free two-day shipping. Order Saturday. Get Monday. I order lots from Amazon. Also, I have the Amazon Echo. Wonderful! Great speakers, too. It accesses iHeart Radio, Pandora, and Prime Music and belts out thousands of songs on voice command.

Love Amazon.
I love the free two-day shipping, too. I also use their prime-tv for the "free" content. I get my $99/yr worth.

I'm usually leery of "big events" like this for the reasons you describe. I generally never even try.

I thought, though, that things were rolled out throughout the day, and only for a few hours. Don't know if that is accurate, but if it is that alone would keep me away. I have things to do, and they don't include watching Amazon like a hawk.

They come along and sell until they run out. I checked early in the morning for everything on my want list and not a thing was on the list. You can see everything coming up all day and what time they hit. Not a thing that I wanted was going to be available all day.

I love the free two-day shipping, too. I also use their prime-tv for the "free" content. I get my $99/yr worth.

So do I. Love Amazon, order at least once a week, but their events... suck.

Amazon is a convoluted mess of a disorganized corporate giant. Of course I rely on them for my livelihood, not just a customer.

Amazon is a convoluted mess of a disorganized corporate giant. Of course I rely on them for my livelihood, not just a customer.
Why do you say that? From my perspective as a customer they seem (overall) very organized. I almost never ever have an issue with getting the right item and on time.

Why do you say that? From my perspective as a customer they seem (overall) very organized. I almost never ever have an issue with getting the right item and on time.

I agree. I can't remember the last time anything I ordered from Amazon didn't arrive exactly as promised and on time or even early. If that's being organized, sign me up!

Love Amazon.

Me too Maggie. My hubby enjoys streaming movies and documentaries with Prime, but I like the ease of ordering it affords, love the free shipping even if you do pay a bit more for the merchandise itself, and you always get the stuff really fast. We order all kinds of stuff from Amazon and feel we really get our money's worth out of our annual fees. In fact since both Hubby and I have Kindles and love all the free books offered, we have separate Amazon Prime accounts and they both pay for themselves over the course of a year.

I agree. I can't remember the last time anything I ordered from Amazon didn't arrive exactly as promised and on time or even early. If that's being organized, sign me up!
In several years I have had one item that was shipped late. Just one.

I did have one item that never arrived, but I blame the shipper for that, not Amazon. When I contacted Amazon they sent another one immediately, no questions asked. (I never did receive the first one, either.)

Too many things and too hard to find what your looking for. If they want it to work let people put stuff in their wish list and then Amazon can email you on Prime Day that stuff in your wish list is on sale. Otherwise just too much junk to sort through.

That being said, I love Amazon, it is my go to shopping place for virtually everything I buy.

Not sure if this is Auntie's issue, but I can tell you that vendors who sell through Amazon have a love-hate relationship with them. They are sooo customer service friendly, it is quite often at the vendor's expense. Lots of rules...a return policy that often doesn't even require the item BE returned...

The customer interface is pretty decent, that's their #1 priority.

They've been built up slowly over years - adding on departments, new rules, pages and pages of algorithms. So on the back end, they are very glitchy. And they are very hasty to pass judgment when things aren't quite right without giving the business oriented individual a change to really fix issues. In fact, I think they automate some of their interactions with sellers.

When you do business with them, then you see just how hobbled together their underworkings are.

I do give them credit for trying to fix problems, though - they have changed a lot in the last few years and, well, sometimes those changes are strong positives and sometimes they're a harsh negative.

It wasn't grand, but I did get to save 50 bucks on a convertible car seat, and I got a really nice pair of headphones/headset for my PS4 for about half off. Plus they had Dragon Quest Heroes for under 20 bucks.

I use Amazon a fair bit but I agree prime day was a waste. Not 1 thing even remotely interestign for sale

This thread prompted me to check something on my TV. It's about two years old. Has an Amazon button on the remote. Just found out I can watch all the Prime video, series and shorts on my TV thru my membership. Wow. I'm seriously impressed.

This thread prompted me to check something on my TV. It's about two years old. Has an Amazon button on the remote. Just found out I can watch all the Prime video, series and shorts on my TV thru my membership. Wow. I'm seriously impressed.
Some things have an extra charge, but there's a lot of good "free" content on there.

In several years I have had one item that was shipped late. Just one.

I did have one item that never arrived, but I blame the shipper for that, not Amazon. When I contacted Amazon they sent another one immediately, no questions asked. (I never did receive the first one, either.)

I can't remember any time that I haven't received anything and I've been a member since 2005. There was one time that I went to return something because someone duplicated a gift, Amazon gave me credit, said keep the item and that was that. That's pretty cool.

Too many things and too hard to find what your looking for. If they want it to work let people put stuff in their wish list and then Amazon can email you on Prime Day that stuff in your wish list is on sale. Otherwise just too much junk to sort through.

That being said, I love Amazon, it is my go to shopping place for virtually everything I buy.

That would be handy. I also think that their whole wish list thing needs help, there's no effective way to search through your list or sort it by category, two things they really need to fix.

It wasn't grand, but I did get to save 50 bucks on a convertible car seat, and I got a really nice pair of headphones/headset for my PS4 for about half off. Plus they had Dragon Quest Heroes for under 20 bucks.

The problem is that every year they do this, people complain. It's not just this event, their Cyber Monday is the same thing. Every year, they say they fixed the problems, it's going to be the most amazing thing ever and it's always the most disappointing thing ever. Nothing against Amazon the rest of the year, but the way they push these mega events, only to have them fall completely flat, is a bit absurd.

Back
Top Bottom