• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As Congress Remains Deadlocked on Guns, Action on State Laws Heats Up

States ****ting on the 2nd amendment anytime there is a mass shooting is nothing new.A mass shooting happens and the anti-2nd amendment ********ers at the state level pass another law that does nothing to stop mass shootings.

The second amendment is a restriction on FEDERAL powers. State powers are not federal powers.

The biggest lie is that there are disagreements in how the constitution is interpreted. It is crystal clear and everyone know exactly what "Shall not be infringed" means. Gun grabbers just oppose the constitution so they try to create the illusion that there is another way to interpret it. It is the equivalent of a stop sign. A person that doesn't want to stop says "I interpreted it to mean a rolling stop".

If "Shall not be infringed" applies to the sales of firearms (it doesn't, but that's your implied position), then restrictions like not selling guns to minors would be unconstitutional. An age infringement is still an infringement- so interpreted, "shall not be infringed" would secure unfettered access to firearms- some would even claim this means the government must supply the firearms to ensure access for the poor.

The fact is that "shall not be infringed" cannot be selectively asserted to silence any gun control measure that you might not like.

The second amendment is a restriction on FEDERAL powers. State powers are not federal powers.

true until the 14th amendment incorporation-should have happened 100 years ago but in reality only since McDonald

If "Shall not be infringed" applies to the sales of firearms (it doesn't, but that's your implied position), then restrictions like not selling guns to minors would be unconstitutional. An age infringement is still an infringement- so interpreted, "shall not be infringed" would secure unfettered access to firearms- some would even claim this means the government must supply the firearms to ensure access for the poor.

The fact is that "shall not be infringed" cannot be selectively asserted to silence any gun control measure that you might not like.

the second and ninth and tenth amendments-if properly construed, bans almost every federal intrusion of any kind on the right

If you don't want guns sold to certain citizens there is an amendment process and if you liberals read the 2nd the same way you read the rest of the constitution the government would be required to provide every citizen with a gun.

BTW - The right is to keep and bare its not about a right to sell, the commerce clause does not apply. There is a reason why the power to regulate guns was specifically NOT granted to the Fed.

If you don't want guns sold to certain citizens there is an amendment process and if you liberals read the 2nd the same way you read the rest of the constitution the government would be required to provide every citizen with a gun.

BTW - The right is to keep and bare its not about a right to sell, the commerce clause does not apply. There is a reason why the power to regulate guns was specifically NOT granted to the Fed.

Obviously, we have considerable time under gun control that qualifies as "infringements" already, so i do not recognize your need for an amendment.

The government can regulate the sales of goods and services within its borders. We do not have a legal right to buy a gun.

If a law is passed which folks see as interfering with their 2A rights to buy/own a gun the matter will be settled in a court of law.....The court is the final arbiter of what the law means and how it shall be applied......

"Sensible" will be determined by those who yall elect..........and then if necessary reviewed by the court......

That's how our system of justice works

Yes, I am familiar with the concept of how our system of justice.

As I wrote, it explains why it is important for advocates of 2A rights to remain vigilant, organized, and noisy, as "the system" is pushed by those who don't share in the importance of those rights.

That's also how the system works.

Obviously, we have considerable time under gun control that qualifies as "infringements" already, so i do not recognize your need for an amendment.

The government can regulate the sales of goods and services within its borders. We do not have a legal right to buy a gun.

Of course you don't see the need for an Amendment you liberals find it easier to just violate the constitution.

We have a legal right to own a gun and the government has no constitutional authority to infringe upon our right to buy one.

The bill of rights is plain as day the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Just because rats in black robe do not understand that fact does not change the fact that these laws anti-2nd amendment scum in various states have enacted are unconstitutional. And please do not pretend that you care that SCOTUS is the end all when you libs screamed bloody murder at citizens united, and various other supreme court rullings that you libs disagree with.

How does the Hawaii law take someone gun away and possibly violate their 2A rights?..........

It does not...........Does not a state have a right to pass laws regulating autos, business licenses, plumber licenses, etc?

So where is the problem?

How does the Hawaii law take someone gun away and possibly violate their 2A rights?..........

It does not...........Does not a state have a right to pass laws regulating autos, business licenses, plumber licenses, etc?

So where is the problem?

apparently you don't understand the difference between a fundamental constitutional right.

The bill of rights is plain as day the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Just because rats in black robe do not understand that fact does not change the fact that these laws anti-2nd amendment scum in various states have enacted are unconstitutional. And please do not pretend that you care that SCOTUS is the end all when you libs screamed bloody murder at citizens united, and various other supreme court rullings that you libs disagree with.

Please tell us how a state passing a law infringes on a persons 2 A rights?

Does the law prevent a person's from buying a gun?

Where's the infringement?

That is Scalia signaling they are not rolling back current restrictions based upon felony convictions and mental illness. It is not meant to open the door to more restrictions and especially not to allow restrictions without due process, as those restrictions occur through a criminal conviction or a competency hearing, both of which involve due process.

Moving on to common use and "dangerous and unusual weapons" the definition of unusual and dangerous weapons comes in two categories. Unusual weapons are esoteric weaponry not in use through either the military or by citizens, the sawed off shotgun would be the SCOTUS definition of such. Dangerous weapons indicates ordinance and explosives as well as fully automatic machine guns.

Those in favor of more restrictions constantly want to distort the meanings used by SCOTUS and expand them to include semi automatic rifles and use quotes they don't address in full. If you read and understand Heller, you understand the LEGAL terms being used, how they apply to each type of weapon, and what legal restrictions they are addressing. As is the case in every person that wants wider restrictions based upon Heller, you have to completely ignore context and attempt to read more into Heller than what it addresses and no more than that.

NRA position baloney.........A state has the right to pass a law to be notified when a Hawaiian licensed to carry a gun commits a felony outside the confines of the state............where's the problem?

government don't have rights, but powers.

the federal government in original constitutional law has no authority/power

the 2nd is a restriction on government power to make no laws concerning the bearing of firearms...... source - the preamble of the bill of rights.

the federal government has no power to regulate the people - source - james madsion and alexander hamilton state that fact in the federalist papers.

Thanks for the history lesson

NRA position baloney.........A state has the right to pass a law to be notified when a Hawaiian licensed to carry a gun commits a felony outside the confines of the state............where's the problem?

Look, Im sick and tired of you intimating that I get information from the NRA, I do not. I have told you I do not, you need to quit lying about ME, personally.

You argued for several state restrictions, Hawaii being the least of them. Keep the goal posts in motion eh?

Yes, I am familiar with the concept of how our system of justice.

As I wrote, it explains why it is important for advocates of 2A rights to remain vigilant, organized, and noisy, as "the system" is pushed by those who don't share in the importance of those rights.

That's also how the system works.

Sure does......and that's one of the reasons for the 10th Amendment.......

States have the power to pass laws asking the FBI to report back when an Hawaiian citizen and licensed gun owner commits a felony.........

Is that not true?

Look, Im sick and tired of you intimating that I get information from the NRA, I do not. I have told you I do not, you need to quit lying about ME, personally.

You argued for several state restrictions, Hawaii being the least of them. Keep the goal posts in motion eh?

Sorry you do n ot like facing the reality of this issue.......

But a state has a right to pass a law requesting the FBI report back any Hawaiian gun owner commits a felony.............Period.

Don't like it?

Take it up with the Framers

But a state has a right to pass a law requesting the FBI report back any Hawaiian gun owner commits a felony.............Period.

Don't like it?

that's a stupid comment because if we could ask the framers they probably would be telling us the gun banners are committing treason

Don't like it?

What I don't like is you continuously insinuating I use information from the NRA when I don't get any materials from them, I don't visit their website, and I don't get emails from them. You need to quit insinuating I do.

The framers would likely form up parties to hang the legislators in question.

By that logic, you also don't have a legal right to buy a book, newspaper, religious accessories, or an abortion.

By that logic, you also don't have a legal right to buy a book, newspaper, religious accessories, or an abortion.

or once you have owned one book you cannot buy another. the federal government has grabbed power and sadly lots of the sheeple are too stupid or too happy with the power grab to even understand it

As Congress Remains Deadlocked on Guns, Action on State Laws Heats Up - NBC News
As Congress Remains Deadlocked on Guns, Action on State Laws Heats Up
“………..From Sacramento to Trenton and Tallahassee to Des Moines, lawmakers, interest groups and activists skirmish almost daily over pending legislation to either tighten or loosen restrictions on firearms. These smaller battlegrounds are where both sides in the long-running political battle roll up their sleeves and engage in lobbying and grassroots organizing aimed at tilting the national battle — one law at a time…………. The non-partisan National Conference of State Legislature found that state lawmakers enacted nearly 70 gun-related measures in 2014 alone.

Gun rights groups concede that advocates for tighter gun restrictions are more active at the state level than before — a fact they attribute largely to the entry of Everytown, which is backed by former billionaire former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, to the playing field. But they say they have more than held their own in getting new state laws passed………. In addition to pushing through new laws, anti-gun-violence groups are turning to ballot initiatives as an end-run around state legislatures where gun rights groups — led by the NRA — have bottled up legislation……….
…….. new tool already has been used successfully in Washington state, where voters in 2014 approved an initiative requiring universal background checks on gun purchases. Similar ballot initiatives are on the November ballot in Nevada and Maine, and California voters will consider a measure known as the "Safety for All" initiative that would significantly strengthen what already are the most-restrictive gun laws in the nation.

It is dreaming if yall think Congress will ever pass any meaningful common sense gun regulation law…….or debate the issue and/or offer a bill to be voted on in either Chamber…….There is no other way to say it……..Most all in Congress are cowards who’s first and only priority is to be reelected……….
The only way sensible gun regulation can happen is by political action in the states where the voice of the people are closer to the ears of those who can make reasonable regulations of guns can be enacted ………Period
ALSO SEE:
With Washington Stymied, It'''s Up to the States to Pass Gun Reform - NBC News
Teaming Up with the Lieutenant Governor to End Gun Violence in California | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
How the NRA Exerts Influence Beyond Political Contributions - NBC News
FixNICS | FixNICS.org
http://www.ncsl.org/

Oooo, let's all hold our breath on this one.....oh, look.....no changes.

Saber-rattling at it's finest.

Sure does......and that's one of the reasons for the 10th Amendment.......

States have the power to pass laws asking the FBI to report back when an Hawaiian citizen and licensed gun owner commits a felony.........

Is that not true?

what is a law passed to ask the federal government?

what is a law passed to ask the federal government?

The law passed in Hawaii.............Try reading the string.........That is not my job to spoon feed you what your should do for yourself

The law passed in Hawaii.............Try reading the string.........That is not my job to spoon feed you what your should do for yourself

i cant see why the state of Hawaii, would need a law to communicate with the federal government, since states and the federal government have exchanged information since the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom