• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As Biden pushes us into EVs Americas grid is failing

Geez.... did you or do you read... if Not you should read about the Refineries that Closed During Trump Admin, and then Read about the Oil Drilling Leases that Big Companies sit on, to ensure that people will Drill, do not get those leases.

Maybe some of these people, OP included, does not grasp what the word "phase" actually means, nor have they looked at the concept for phase changes.
They post this crap as if someone is going to shut off Oil Production and Usage by Midnight.

Pure Drama Alarmist, looking for something to be 'wound up about".... and ignoring data and facts.

U.S. oil and gas permitting has increased under Biden, data shows

In fiscal year 2021, 98 percent of drilling permit applications were approved. So far this year, 96 percent of permit applications have been approved. During fiscal year 2020, the last year of the Trump administration, the approval rate was 94 percent.
  • In terms of raw numbers, more drilling permits were approved during Biden’s first year in office than in any of Trump’s first three years.
end quote
Sure...

1653435011113.png

Yet another reason not to ditch fossil fuel power plants
That depends. You can invest your money in making a newer technology more reliable, or double down on the one that will be in decline as the rest of the industrialized world moves away from fossil fuels. The irony there is it would be spending to expand the very fuel source that's causing the demand problems via hotter temperatures.

That's the challenge though... There's a very vocal group who wants to 'make it so' - that also ignore the reality that the infrastructure and technology aren't there yet. I would love for cars to be better, cleaner, and more efficient, but we're not there yet. I'm among many that take a more practical approach. And we don't even know that EV's will be the ultimate answer. I remember when the Toyota Prius came out - to predictions we would all be driving hybrids in 10 years. That was 1997 - 25 years ago.
The irony here is that none of the highlighted items above happen without the vocal group who wants to 'make it so'.
;)

Other countries are moving in that direction, so not seeking to be leaders in this area could put the US at a disadvantage further down the line. I don't think we're in an ideal place as it relates to EVs either, but there's been a lot of progress over the past few years and as the funding for infrastructure for EVs materializes, it will eventually make it even more viable.

Biden's anti fossil fuels agenda along with Bideflation makes reopening diesel refineries that closed during the Covid shutdown unprofitable.
I have no comment other than to say, you might want to invest in reading about the Refinery business ...

That depends. You can invest your money in making a newer technology more reliable, or double down on the one that will be in decline as the rest of the industrialized world moves away from fossil fuels. The irony there is it would be spending to expand the very fuel source that's causing the demand problems via hotter temperatures.
You can't make the sun shine or the wind blow.

It is Whitmer's Green Energy plan that is causing the problem.

"The state soon will lose at least 5.8 million annual megawatt hours of carbon dioxide-free energy production. That’s an amount equal to all the energy produced by the wind industry that Michigan has built up over the past 13 years, at a cost of more than $5 billion.

This loss of CO2-free energy deals a traumatic blow to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s plan to take the state to zero emissions by 2050. Yet hardly anybody’s talking about it — certainly not the governor herself.

This large, reliable, emissions-free source of electricity is the Palisades Nuclear Generating Station on Lake Michigan. The 811-kilowatt plant will shut down in May, about 10 years before its operating license expires. Palisades owner Entergy, facing perverse pricing challenges in the energy market, decided in 2017 to operate the plant until this year, following complicated negotiations with the Michigan Public Service Commission. Palisades has produced electricity since 1973 and provides about 6.8 million megawatt hours of energy per year.

Compare that with output from the 1,400 giant wind turbines that occupy large tracts of the state. A recent study from Commodity.com put Michigan on an honor roll of wind-powered states — for producing only 5.8 million megawatt hours per year. A single nuclear plant does far better than that. Palisades alone generated 7 million megawatt hours in 2021, according to the U.S. Energy Information Agency (EIA)."

The IDEA of green energy is great...but why do leftists ALWAYS advocate for these artificial deadlines that end up screwing themselves over long before there is a viable renewable fuel resource available?
I actually disagree with the idea of keeping nuclear off the table; a position not all environmentalists agree with. While there are still dangers with nuclear energy, it's still pretty reliable all things considered. The waste management part is a bit problematic, as is the long term availability of uranium if we were to expand the number of plants. Initial cost is another issue, since building nuclear plants isn't cheap, and I suspect finding locations people won't object to won't be easy. Not many will have forgotten the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.

Neither can you stop the sun from shining or the wind from blowing.

the Sun's solar energy has been giving nature its needs long before mankind existed, and the wind has been blowing long before man existed.

So how do you propose to charge 300 million cars at night in the USA with no sun and...

The wind speed tends to decrease after sunset because at night the surface of the Earth cools much more rapidly than does the air above the surface. As a result of this difference in cooling ability, it doesn't take long for the ground to become colder than the air above it.Nov 18, 2013
1653437092444.png
https://wxguys.ssec.wisc.edu › why-...

Why does the wind diminish after sunset? | The Weather Guys

the Sun's solar energy has been giving nature its needs long before mankind existed, and the wind has been blowing long before man existed.
Problem is the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine. If we put all our eggs in that basket it won't end well. Especially with the additional electricity needed to power an EV fleet.

The US does pretty well in terms of sunshine hours, and while wind is certainly more unpredictable, finding optimal places and technological improvements at harvesting power can help mitigate those deficiencies.

So how do you propose to charge 300 million cars at night in the USA with no sun and...

The wind speed tends to decrease after sunset because at night the surface of the Earth cools much more rapidly than does the air above the surface. As a result of this difference in cooling ability, it doesn't take long for the ground to become colder than the air above it.Nov 18, 2013
View attachment 67392654
https://wxguys.ssec.wisc.edu › why-...

Why does the wind diminish after sunset? | The Weather Guys

No my field of expertiese... they have people who work in that field. They know more than you and I.... If you want a response, I suggest you contact some of the developers and researchers who work on these projects.

Michigan power grid is a mess that can't operate in summer?

Figures. Who knew it might get warm in the summer? Like California or Texas not knowing it might get cold in winter...

Problem is the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine. If we put all our eggs in that basket it won't end well. Especially with the additional electricity needed to power an EV fleet.
If you think those are the only aspects to "21st Century Energy Developments"... I'd suggest that you do more research.

Maybe look back at history to grasp the concept of innovation and developments.... maybe even look back at "Oil" when they did not know what to do with the Gasoline which was considered a waste by product of Kerosene...

Society has never stopped "innovations and developments" because of Nay Sayers.

Who would have thought that Cell phones would be so common that even kids have them. When the 1960's still had "Party Lines Telephones"
Most people don't understand how a computer works, but innovations and developments continue to find more and more things that it can do and more things that can be done with it.

Last edited:
You would have a better chance at importing diamonds from Saturn then you would have getting the lithium from the earth's crust or oceans

Saturn the planet of the rings the atmosphere holds a treasure: real showers made from diamonds. What makes precious stones rain down on this planet? On Saturn, the combination of methane with storms produces a shower of diamonds.Jul 14, 2020
View attachment 67392652
https://www.yourweather.co.uk › rai...

Rain on Saturn is made of diamonds, not water - Yourweather.co.uk

Where do you think we mine lithium? In the Earth's crust that's where

The US does pretty well in terms of sunshine hours, and while wind is certainly more unpredictable, finding optimal places and technological improvements at harvesting power can help mitigate those deficiencies.
Wind and solar needs fossil fuel backup, just no way around that with current technology.

If you think those are the only aspects to "21st Century Energy Developments"... I'd suggest that you do more research.

Maybe look back at history to grasp the concept of innovation and developments.... maybe even look back at "Oil" when they did not know what to do with the Gasoline which was considered a waste by product of Kerosene...

Society has never stopped "innovations and developments" because of Nay Sayers.

Who would have thought that Cell phones would be so common that even kids have them. When the 1960's still had "Party Lines Telephones"
Most people don't understand how a computer works, but innovations and developments continue to find more and more things that it can do and more things that can be done with it.
Wind and solar are fine and can enhance fossil fuel electricity production but they can't replace it.

This is not a surprise, they know we can't produce enough electricity to power that many electric cars. Do you think they care in the least about gas prices? Of course not, this is something they planned to do. People always have to suffer for the good of the party.

How do the Elon Musk fanbois square away the dissonance between how great he must be for being a macho tax hating rich guy but such a woke girly-man for making electric cars? Does one cancel out the other? How does it work?

Yeah, because in America we never addressed problems before. Listening to you, there is no solution, just throw up your hands and say, 'there is nothing that can be done.' That's the caveman thinking. There is a reason why many call conservatives 'regressives.'

What I read here from the regressive-wing is the same as what they said over 100 years ago. Cars? Where are you going to fill up with gas? I'm sticking with my horse.

As we speak, people are adding solar photovoltaics to their homes. I did that in 2018 and my home has a net usage of zero for electricity. A neighbor has it and charges his Tesla.

Solutions exist to reduce dramatically the use of fossil fuels for electric production. Regressives just don't want to hear them because they're stuck in the 1950s.
Same. I love it. I don’t think it’s worth trying to convince someone like @Chainsawmassacre. His ilk railed against the steam engine, then again against the car, then against electricity in the house, then against commercial air travel, then against the personal computer and cell phone, then against the smart phone. They’ll always look backward, and they’ll always be left behind. I don’t mind. This nation has always afforded a permanent structural competitive advantage to those who embraced change, and those who couldn’t eventually die off and are referred to by their descendants as “stuck in their ways” or “quaint.” That’s their choice.

Electric cars predated gasoline and gas won out because it was better then electricity
"was".

EVs will definitely put more demand on the grid as alarmist weaken the grid and make it less reliable. It’s simple math.
I don't think so. Show your work, with actual numbers. Shouldn't take long if the math is actually as simple as you're pretending.

I actually disagree with the idea of keeping nuclear off the table; a position not all environmentalists agree with. While there are still dangers with nuclear energy, it's still pretty reliable all things considered. The waste management part is a bit problematic, as is the long term availability of uranium if we were to expand the number of plants. Initial cost is another issue, since building nuclear plants isn't cheap, and I suspect finding locations people won't object to won't be easy. Not many will have forgotten the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.
Worse will be if they rush to bring new plants online and cut corners on safety because the renewable energy systems are failing. We really must take a holistic approach to energy.

The Fukushima narrative is purely a media invention.

And one that a lot of Americans don’t really fall for. A recent poll for example, in San Luis Obispo county California, (which is a giant university community, not really a Trump country by any stretch, well maybe it’s MAGA country if Jussie needs more attention) which is home to the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant, shows that the vast majority of residents support keeping the nuclear plant online. A healthy majority of Californians broadly support keeping the Diablo Canyon plant online. Really the opposition to nuclear power is from a fringe minority. And it is time that State and local governments simply start ignoring these people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom