• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As Biden pushes us into EVs Americas grid is failing

Your math was wrong, but it was still right?????

It that what you’re saying????

The math is obvious.

Now you’re insisting that “total fuel consumption represents the total energy necessary to accomplish the same thing:”

Really?????
Sorry, I had to stop you.

The following facts are indisputable.

-We currently consume 410 million gallons per day of gasoline. One gallon produces about 33 kilowatt hours of energy. This amounts to about 13.5 billion kilowatt hours of consumed energy. One terawatt equals one billion kilowatts so the energy consumed by all of the gasoline powered cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, etc... on average per day in America amounts to 13.5 terawatt hours.

-We currently consume 11 terawatt hours of electricity every day.

-If we are going to convert to EVs then we are going to have to be able to generate and distribute the electricity necessary to power them.

If our current electrical capacity is less than half of what the future demand will be, don't you believe that this is a problem, a HUGE problem, that we are going to have to solve before we dive headlong into this?

“By storing power up to its capacity of 100 MW, this “battery” can absorb brief blips in the grid surrounding it,”

And here are the sentences that you ignored that preceded it.

”In just two years, the Neoen-owned Hornsdale Power Reserve—literally a facility full of PowerPacks that receives and stores energy from nearby wind and solar farms—has worked as advertised, saving South Australia more than $100 million in network costs.”

Which is why a newer and even bigger plant got built, and why similar projects are under development or construction in 16 countries, including the United States.

You can argue with me and cling to the past all you want. WAll Street is laughing at the clueless defenders of coal and big oil.

And here are the sentences that you ignored that preceded it.

”In just two years, the Neoen-owned Hornsdale Power Reserve—literally a facility full of PowerPacks that receives and stores energy from nearby wind and solar farms—has worked as advertised, saving South Australia more than $100 million in network costs.”

Which is why a newer and even bigger plant got built, and why similar projects are under development or construction in 16 countries, including the United States.

You can argue with me and cling to the past all you want. WAll Street is laughing at the clueless defenders of coal and big oil.
So far it’s for “blips”. I see nothing about battery banks capable of handling extended periods of no wind and or sun and as per my previous post even if that was possible the amount of lithium mining to equip every wind and solar plant world wide would be staggering. I seriously doubt there even is that much lithium to mine.

Sorry, I had to stop you.

The following facts are indisputable.

-We currently consume 410 million gallons per day of gasoline. One gallon produces about 33 kilowatt hours of energy. This amounts to about 13.5 billion kilowatt hours of consumed energy. One terawatt equals one billion kilowatts so the energy consumed by all of the gasoline powered cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, etc... on average per day in America amounts to 13.5 terawatt hours.

-We currently consume 11 terawatt hours of electricity every day.

-If we are going to convert to EVs then we are going to have to be able to generate and distribute the electricity necessary to power them.

If our current electrical capacity is less than half of what the future demand will be, don't you believe that this is a problem, a HUGE problem, that we are going to have to solve before we dive headlong into this?

You’re just continuing to insist that your basic math error still yields the correct answer.

And you did not explain at all, why we need 13.5 terawatts of electricity to replace gasoline.

It’s not a straightforward calculation, as you continue ot incorrectly insist.

Electric cars don’t sit at stoplights running big engines, two thirds of whose energy is wasted, and not used for any transporation or comfort purpose.

So far it’s for “blips”. I see nothing about battery banks capable of handling extended periods of no wind and or sun and as per my previous post even if that was possible the amount of lithium mining to equip every wind and solar plant world wide would be staggering. I seriously doubt there even is that much lithium to mine.
There's also a question of trade-offs with the finite materials we have to make this type of high capacity battery. Every ounce of lithium or other rare element we use on a battery attached to a house, or backing up a renewable source that's powered by weather, is one less than can be used in a car. It seems like it would be more productive to have batteries in cars, replacing ICE engines, and use efficient natural gas or nuclear energy to back up the wind/solar power.

1.) You’re just continuing to insist that your basic math error still yields the correct answer.

2.) And you did not explain at all, why we need 13.5 terawatts of electricity to replace gasoline.

It’s not a straightforward calculation, as you continue ot incorrectly insist.

Electric cars don’t sit at stoplights running big engines, two thirds of whose energy is wasted, and not used for any transporation or comfort purpose.
1.) I am doing no such thing. I am merely pointing out an OBVIOUS problem that will need to be overcome. Not dealing with it or pretending it doesn't exist would be catastrophic in terms of our nation's health.

2.) I explained it perfectly. 410 million gallons of gasoline per day equals 13.5 terawatts of electricity. https://www.calculateme.com/energy/kilowatt-hours/to-gallons-of-gas/

Multiply 410 million times 33.(it's actually closer to 34 but let's not split hairs.)

For some reason you don’t want to tell us where this wonderland is you live in and climate change isn’t the topic of this thread.

What in the world does it matter where I live?

I'm not talking about climate change.

I'm talking about your subject. The electric grid EVs and the fact that the grid is failing.

I'm telling you our grid isn't failing. I'm telling you that we built a new one and why we built it. If we had not built the windmill farms we wouldn't have needed to build a new grid.

If you had done what we had done or at least upgraded your grid, you wouldn't have this problem now.

As I've been saying, the grasshoppers only took steps that made your situation worse, you denied climate change, you deregulated and privatized. We ants took steps to make our situation better. We did the responsible thing. We didn't deny climate change. We didn't deregulate and privatize. We did upgrade, changed how we generate electricity and did built a new grid so we aren't out of luck like you are.

I'm sorry but those are the facts.

We don't use fossil fuels to generate electricity. We use natural gas but it's for heating and cooking. NOT to generate electricity. We will soon be phasing out the natural gas for cooking and use it just for heating. Those who still have existing gas stoves will be grandfathered in but all new stoves will be electric soon. So we are continuing to get off fossil fuels. And I'm sure that conservatives will continue to bash us and call us names. It's nothing new to us.

1.) I am doing no such thing. I am merely pointing out an OBVIOUS problem that will need to be overcome. Not dealing with it or pretending it doesn't exist would be catastrophic in terms of our nation's health.

2.) I explained it perfectly. 410 million gallons of gasoline per day equals 13.5 terawatts of electricity. https://www.calculateme.com/energy/kilowatt-hours/to-gallons-of-gas/

Multiply 410 million times 33.(it's actually closer to 34 but let's not split hairs.)

You did exactly that.

You are completely ignoring the fact that internal combustion engines are only ten to thirty percent efficient.

Battery powered motors are 100% efficient. All the energy goes to doing the required work.

2/3 of the energy content of those 413 million gallons goes right out the tailpipe or gets wasted through the radiator. Why count that, since it doesn’t exist with electric cars????????

So why do you continue to insist that you have to count the 60-75% energy waste involved in running a gasoline engine?????????

Most of that energy you keep insisting on counting isn’t needed at all. It is burned because of the inefficiency of internal combustion engines.

I'm talking about your subject. The electric grid EVs and the fact that the grid is failing.

I'm telling you our grid isn't failing. I'm telling you that we built a new one and why we built it. If we had not built the windmill farms we wouldn't have needed to build a new grid.

If you had done what we had done or at least upgraded your grid, you wouldn't have this problem now.

As I've been saying, the grasshoppers only took steps that made your situation worse, you denied climate change, you deregulated and privatized. We ants took steps to make our situation better. We did the responsible thing. We didn't deny climate change. We didn't deregulate and privatize. We did upgrade, changed how we generate electricity and did built a new grid so we aren't out of luck like you are.

We don't use fossil fuels to generate electricity. We use natural gas but it's for heating and cooking. NOT to generate electricity. We will soon be phasing out the natural gas for cooking and use it just for heating. Those who still have existing gas stoves will be grandfathered in but all new stoves will be electric soon. So we are continuing to get off fossil fuels. And I'm sure that conservatives will continue to bash us and call us names. It's nothing new to us.
Yes you keep telling us about this magic kingdom you live in where you enjoy this perfect power grid but you want say where it is because your description of this never never land could be scrutinized.

Some of us been to all 50 states and your liberal utopia state only exists in your mind

Well this article answered some of my questions

MotorBiscuit

Home /Hybrids & Electrics

The ‘EV Charger’ on Your Garage Wall Isn’t Actually a Charger​

by Produced by Digital Editors | More Articles: Hybrids & Electrics
Published on
May 26, 2022

. However, this charger is technically not a charger but an electrical vehicle service.

*snip*

Charging an EV can be as simple as plugging in the connector to your car and waiting. However, there are some intricacies involved. Charging an EV comes with three distinct levels of charging. According to CNET, Level 1 charging is the simplest and the typical level of charging EV owners will have at their homes. This charging level is pretty slow and can only charge at around 2-3 miles of range per hour. Level 1 charging can utilize any typical home outlet.

*snip*

Level 2 charging supplies a higher voltage of charging and can be plugged into a 240-volt dryer outlet

*Snip*

The third and final charging level is not typically found in consumer homes due to the type of wiring it requires. Level 3 charging is most likely located at car dealers or charging networks, such as Tesla’s Superchargers. Connecting your EV to a Level 3 charger can quickly charge the battery at rates of 3 to 20 miles per minute. These chargers are ideal for people already on the road who need more juice for their trip.

Back
Top Bottom