• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"As a woman, I find wearing a face mask liberating ..."

And there are defining attributes of libertarianism that very much clash with conservatism. Libertarians of any kind aren’t conservatives.

Fixed it.

But I do have to ask, did you prefer her with makeup or without? I really don't mind either way, but I have known guys who said they prefer a woman, especially one they have more than just a one nighter with (although this sounds like not a one night here), could see themselves in a relationship with or who they already were in a relationship with, without makeup or at least with very minimal makeup.

Heck, the few times I would wear lipgloss out my husband (boyfriend at the time) would moan or give some other sign of disapproval (mainly because he knew at some point he'd be wearing it too).
If a person is so shallow that they judge someone's worth according to the Laws of L'Oreal, they wouldn't be worth giving the time of day to in my opinion.

If a person is so shallow that they judge someone's worth according to the Laws of L'Oreal, they wouldn't be worth giving the time of day to in my opinion.

^ Yep.

That doesn’t really make much sense unless you’re trying to say that only a woman can call out sexist behaviour. Which obviously would be ridiculous.

But I didn't say that only a woman can call out sexist behavior. What I said was that as a woman, I don't need YOU to tell me on what I should comment.

And you and @nota bene are so annoyed I did the latter, you refuse to do the former? The cognitive dissonance of being a female conservatives must give you a headache.

No cognitive dissonance here.

But I didn't say that only a woman can call out sexist behavior. What I said was that as a woman, I don't need YOU to tell me on what I should comment.
Don’t forget you started this exchange by criticising my comment about right wing guys. If you wish to criticise the content of my posts, then don’t get annoyed when I criticise the content of yours.

Don’t forget you started this exchange by criticising my comment about right wing guys. If you wish to criticise the content of my posts, then don’t get annoyed when I criticise the content of yours.

I'm not annoyed. And I don't need you to tell me or any other woman about sexism directed toward women.

I'm not annoyed. And I don't need you to tell me or any other woman about sexism directed toward women.
Again, don’t forget that what I was doing was calling out sexism against women and you interjected to criticise the generalisation I made about right wing men. If you don’t want someone to criticise your posts, maybe don’t criticise theirs in the first place.

You do know that there are women in this country who choose to wear the burkha because they want to, feel that it is for them, is part of their faith and/or their culture, right?

Yes I do. The question that that leaves unanswered is "Why do they feel that way? Is it because of their own independent learning, research, and thought? Or is it because they were socialized by those who believe that they have the right to "own their women"?".

If you are going to bet your lunch money, pick the second option.

As for the culture thing, I'm also not African or Arabic, culturally, where wearing the burkha is more prevalent. But trying to claim it isn't part of religious beliefs is like trying to claim that the Duggar women wear what they do or don't wear certain clothing, or have their hair that long because of American culture. It can easily be seen as both a cultural thing and a religious thing, but they will almost always tell you that it is based on their religious beliefs regarding modesty. I wear my hair long too, but I can cut mine without feeling any sort of insult to my faith or guilt due to my faith any time I wish.

NAME THE RELIGION

VEILED WOMAN.JPG

So I stumbled across this article and found I agree with the person, if for different reasons, about how liberating wearing a mask makes me feel.

"Having always been self-conscious about my looks, I like the fact I can now go about my business without being judged on my appearance by others – male or female. "

This helps to describe me. I know I don't have a great fashion sense and I don't wear makeup (the few times I've tried to put it on, either I didn't notice any change in my appearance or it was way too much, likely because no one ever taught me how to wear it, since my mother doesn't wear makeup). Now, unlike this writer, I'm actually a very happy person. But then I also don't have the best teeth (they are crooked, never had braces but needed them) so wearing a mask allows me to talk to people and smile whenever I want, as long as I want without feeling self conscious about my teeth, that people may be staring. They can't.

In addition, I find that trading wearing a mask for ditching the bra allows a sort of carefree feeling. It kinda brings into context, reality how people will tell you not to care so much about your looks, how most of the people you see in public, who may judge you, don't actually know you so why should you care about their opinion on your looks. Wearing a mask allows that excuse to sort of test this concept, especially when going to places that are less formal, like stores or for a walk around your neighborhood.

Now, let me say that I do think this could apply to men too. This shouldn't limit the conversation to just women or about women, only that I can see how women would find it more liberating than men.

I will be blunt and brief. In my subjective opinion, if someone tells me they need to hide their face to feel good about themselves I would say-you have a problem you are masking. The mask is your symptom and exists because you will not deal with the issue that causes you to feel you need to wear the mask. If you can't accept your own self reflection and need to hide it, and tell me the only way you can cope is wearing a mask then I say-I will not condone or enable your actions but tell you what I am saying. You want someone to enable you and your inability to accept yourself, go find someone else. Oh I get it. The way to handle the world is to hide from it. Bull sheeyat.

I will be blunt and brief. In my subjective opinion, if someone tells me they need to hide their face to feel good about themselves I would say-you have a problem you are masking. The mask is your symptom and exists because you will not deal with the issue that causes you to feel you need to wear the mask. If you can't accept your own self reflection and need to hide it, and tell me the only way you can cope is wearing a mask then I say-I will not condone or enable your actions but tell you what I am saying. You want someone to enable you and your inability to accept yourself, go find someone else. Oh I get it. The way to handle the world is to hide from it. Bull sheeyat.

My suspicion is that the "feeling good" comes from "knowing that others are not judging me (well, judging me less) on my physical appearance" rather than anything else.

Yes I do. The question that that leaves unanswered is "Why do they feel that way? Is it because of their own independent learning, research, and thought? Or is it because they were socialized by those who believe that they have the right to "own their women"?".

If you are going to bet your lunch money, pick the second option.

NAME THE RELIGION

View attachment 67327899
Again, that is no different than the Christian women who feel they should be modest. Right or wrong, it is still part of their religious beliefs more than their culture.

And that picture is a Catholic nun and that is a habit not a burkha.

Those problems won't simply go away by people being blunt. Are you missing that fact? You aren't helping someone by telling them that they need to simply get over their feelings of insecurity without any sort of mask or other objects. That was pretty well explained in the beginning. You can use such things though to help change those feelings, come to realizations about yourself and even others.

It is just as much hiding from it when you try to be someone you aren't, hide your own feelings because it is hard to express yourself to those who will negatively judge you for not fitting in. The mask helps in several ways. It doesn't need to be a permanent thing to help people make realizations about themselves or their own choices, how others view them.

Again, that is no different than the Christian women who feel they should be modest.

And who gets to define what "modest" means?

Right or wrong, it is still part of their religious beliefs more than their culture.

Name the country and the religion of these women

NAME THE COUNTRY AND RELIGION.JPG

And that picture is a Catholic nun and that is a habit not a burkha.

And the difference in the amount of the body that is covered is - what? And the persons with the ultimate authority for prescribing the mode of dress are of what gender?

Those problems won't simply go away by people being blunt. Are you missing that fact? You aren't helping someone by telling them that they need to simply get over their feelings of insecurity without any sort of mask or other objects. That was pretty well explained in the beginning. You can use such things though to help change those feelings, come to realizations about yourself and even others.

It is just as much hiding from it when you try to be someone you aren't, hide your own feelings because it is hard to express yourself to those who will negatively judge you for not fitting in. The mask helps in several ways. It doesn't need to be a permanent thing to help people make realizations about themselves or their own choices, how others view them.

Excuse me you have me confused with a therapist. I never claimed to be one nor did I judge this person. Further your response rationalizes avoiding dealing with issues of self esteem.

As I said you mistake me for a therapist. I clean toilets.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You keep singling out women...
Pointing out the viewpoint that is made by an article and by myself, as being a woman's viewpoint, is not sexist. Men, in general, are likely going to find some similar reasons, but also some different reasons they may feel "liberated" by wearing a mask. Wearing a mask for me doesn't have anything to do with shaving, which would be the same for most women. But several men on this board have commented that it is an advantage or a positive for them. Most men likely do not hear "smile for me" nearly to the same extent as women in general do (not counting picture taking).

Back
Top Bottom