• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"As a woman, I find wearing a face mask liberating ..."

My daughter is a nurse and she wears a modest amount of makeup. One of the best makeups ever created is the tinted moisturizer. All it does is even out skin tones and gives you a healthy glow while moisturizing your skin and has sunscreen. It comes in several shades and looks very natural. Any woman who just wants a little something it is perfect.

I wish I only had to use a tinted moisturizer. Sometimes I could pull it off, but I'm usually pretty red and splotchy.

When it's at it's worst, it looks like the left photo here:

a37436862177d72f33f3ae149b2ab0c0.jpg

Ok go for it. I will also continue to worry about some men’s sexist attitudes towards women. And also continue to call it out when I see here in this thread which you don’t seem too concerned with doing.

Get back to me when you've walked a mile in my stilettos. Or Skechers, as the case may be.

Ok go for it. I will also continue to worry about some men’s sexist attitudes towards women. And also continue to call it out when I see here in this thread which you don’t seem too concerned with doing.

There's a large, unsubtle difference in calling out individuals for their bad behavior and broad-brushing an entire population of people for what a few say and do.

I don't like how it forces me to speak when a smile would do. You can communicate a lot with a facial expression, but not when half your face is covered up.
It was years ago that Tyra Banks introduced or reintroduced, the concept of the SMIZE.....which is smiling with the eyes. It works.

I wish I only had to use a tinted moisturizer. Sometimes I could pull it off, but I'm usually pretty red and splotchy.

I understand. You have a little too much rosiness and I could use a little more. :) Today though there are really good options that do not require liquid foundations which is what I used for years but as I aged it would draw more attention to my laugh lines and crow's feet. Not the finished look I was going for. Have you ever tried Bare Minerals? You don't feel like you are wearing makeup. You go through the whole regimen of cleansing, toning and moisturizing and at my age includes a couple extra serums. :D The foundation is a loose powder applied with special brushes. It is the special brushes that can get pricey. But they do have a product called Redness Remedy you apply before applying the foundation. When finished it really looks natural while hiding blotches and dark spots. And it feels clean if that makes any sense.

We have a really nice Ulta Beauty store and they have people on hand to assist and allow you to try a product before you purchase it. Plus they school you on how to apply it correctly. They will hand you a mirror and have you go outside and see what you look like in natural light. For me daily use is tinted moisturizer. If I am going to get gussied up for a special occasion, it's Bare Minerals. ;)

I understand. You have a little too much rosiness and I could use a little more. :) Today though there are really good options that do not require liquid foundations which is what I used for years but as I aged it would draw more attention to my laugh lines and crow's feet. Not the finished look I was going for. Have you ever tried Bare Minerals? You don't feel like you are wearing makeup. You go through the whole regimen of cleansing, toning and moisturizing and at my age includes a couple extra serums. :D The foundation is a loose powder applied with special brushes. It is the special brushes that can get pricey. But they do have a product called Redness Remedy you apply before applying the foundation. When finished it really looks natural while hiding blotches and dark spots. And it feels clean if that makes any sense.

We have a really nice Ulta Beauty store and they have people on hand to assist and allow you to try a product before you purchase it. Plus they school you on how to apply it correctly. They will hand you a mirror and have you go outside and see what you look like in natural light. For me daily use is tinted moisturizer. If I am going to get gussied up for a special occasion, it's Bare Minerals. ;)

I was "swirl, tap and buffing" 10-15 years ago. :) I've finally found my holy grail foundation and I'm never without it. I have several back ups too in different shades depending on how pale/not as pale my skin is. It's the Catrice HD liquid foundation. Only $11.

I have found the mask very convenient to cover up a lack of any makeup. I've never worn a lot of makeup, made it into my 40's with a good skin care routine mascara blush and lip gloss. Then I added a little foundation for work, or going out. Now I'll definitely go without makeup to the grocery or other errands. I notice that young women have increased their eye makeup, and some of the looks are fabulous.....too much trouble for me.

What has surprised me is that people are totally recognizable in their masks. I guess I never relied on faces as much as I assumed I did.

That comment was specifically meant to ward off accusations of being sexist for saying/implying it was only women who may be liberated from when it comes to wearing a mask.
I don't know why you have to bring gender into it at all. As someone with Shingles, not as a man or a woman but as someone with Shingles, I find the mask liberating as I don't have to endure comments and looks when it flares up. I have a sibling with acni scars and my sibling experiences the same kind of liberation.

It's not a contest. Lots of people are experiencing unforeseen benefits of masks, especially us introverts.

Okay first, my job in the Navy was one where makeup wasn't allowed because technically you could potentially get contamination trapped between the makeup and your skin.

As for the wearing the burqa comment, I'm not Muslim and I have no need to hide the rest of my face. That sort of thing is plain rude because it in no way fits with anything I stated in the OP.

I probably shouldn't have to point this out but the "burkha" is NOT "religious" it is "cultural". There are some "Muslim" cultures that endorse if and some that do not.

I also probably shouldn't have to point this out, but - primarily - it is NOT the person who WEARS the "burkha" who has the "need to hide their face" but rather it IS the person who "owns" the person who wears the "burkha" who has the "need to hide their (woman's) face".

So I stumbled across this article and found I agree with the person, if for different reasons, about how liberating wearing a mask makes me feel.

"Having always been self-conscious about my looks, I like the fact I can now go about my business without being judged on my appearance by others – male or female. "

This helps to describe me. I know I don't have a great fashion sense and I don't wear makeup (the few times I've tried to put it on, either I didn't notice any change in my appearance or it was way too much, likely because no one ever taught me how to wear it, since my mother doesn't wear makeup). Now, unlike this writer, I'm actually a very happy person. But then I also don't have the best teeth (they are crooked, never had braces but needed them) so wearing a mask allows me to talk to people and smile whenever I want, as long as I want without feeling self conscious about my teeth, that people may be staring. They can't.

In addition, I find that trading wearing a mask for ditching the bra allows a sort of carefree feeling. It kinda brings into context, reality how people will tell you not to care so much about your looks, how most of the people you see in public, who may judge you, don't actually know you so why should you care about their opinion on your looks. Wearing a mask allows that excuse to sort of test this concept, especially when going to places that are less formal, like stores or for a walk around your neighborhood.

Now, let me say that I do think this could apply to men too. This shouldn't limit the conversation to just women or about women, only that I can see how women would find it more liberating than men.
Guys are not looking at her lips and cheeks.. . they are looking at her ass, breasts and legs... she has every reason to continue to be self-conscious.

I was merely speaking to the fact that the woman in the article claimed that wearing a mask provided her with a feeling that she didn't need to be judged on looks; she is the one who brought up the subject. I'm just saying if she want to really feel "liberated" then wear a bag over her head, that way she doesn't have to worry about her hair as well as her face.
I love the people that were skin tight athletic
wear showing their belly buttons and hugging
their asses and chests and then complain that
somebody is checking out their body.

Get back to me when you've walked a mile in my stilettos. Or Skechers, as the case may be.
That doesn’t really make much sense unless you’re trying to say that only a woman can call out sexist behaviour. Which obviously would be ridiculous.

There's a large, unsubtle difference in calling out individuals for their bad behavior and broad-brushing an entire population of people for what a few say and do.
And you and @nota bene are so annoyed I did the latter, you refuse to do the former? The cognitive dissonance of being a female conservatives must give you a headache.

Guys are not looking at her lips and cheeks.. . they are looking at her ass, breasts and legs... she has every reason to continue to be self-conscious.
But women are still judging the face. I honestly believe that there are a lot of women who are more self conscious about how other women view them than how other men view them.

However, that doesn't account for the "give us a smile love" that comes from men just as often as women, if not moreso, which seemed to be a significant part of the writer's issue.

I probably shouldn't have to point this out but the "burkha" is NOT "religious" it is "cultural". There are some "Muslim" cultures that endorse if and some that do not.

I also probably shouldn't have to point this out, but - primarily - it is NOT the person who WEARS the "burkha" who has the "need to hide their face" but rather it IS the person who "owns" the person who wears the "burkha" who has the "need to hide their (woman's) face".
You do know that there are women in this country who choose to wear the burkha because they want to, feel that it is for them, is part of their faith and/or their culture, right?

As for the culture thing, I'm also not African or Arabic, culturally, where wearing the burkha is more prevalent. But trying to claim it isn't part of religious beliefs is like trying to claim that the Duggar women wear what they do or don't wear certain clothing, or have their hair that long because of American culture. It can easily be seen as both a cultural thing and a religious thing, but they will almost always tell you that it is based on their religious beliefs regarding modesty. I wear my hair long too, but I can cut mine without feeling any sort of insult to my faith or guilt due to my faith any time I wish.

I don't know why you have to bring gender into it at all. As someone with Shingles, not as a man or a woman but as someone with Shingles, I find the mask liberating as I don't have to endure comments and looks when it flares up. I have a sibling with acni scars and my sibling experiences the same kind of liberation.

It's not a contest. Lots of people are experiencing unforeseen benefits of masks, especially us introverts.
And I pointed out quite clearly that it could easily be the same for men.

However, I was clearly basing this off of an article written from the viewpoint of a woman, and as a woman, I happened to feel the same. The title of this thread was pulled directly from the title of the article.

And you and @nota bene are so annoyed I did the latter, you refuse to do the former? The cognitive dissonance of being a female conservatives must give you a headache.

I'm not a conservative and I've never had a problem calling out individuals for their poor behaviors.

That's what you just said.
It wasn't sexism. It was based on a single viewpoint, that of a woman. I even stated quite clearly that men could also feel liberated but that I could see how it may be more liberating/liberating for more women. I could easily be wrong in that opinion, but that opinion is not based in any sort of sexism.

It wasn't sexism. It was based on a single viewpoint, that of a woman. I even stated quite clearly that men could also feel liberated but that I could see how it may be more liberating/liberating for more women. I could easily be wrong in that opinion, but that opinion is not based in any sort of sexism.

Do you think you'll continue to wear a mask out and about even when almost everyone isn't?

Do you think you'll continue to wear a mask out and about even when almost everyone isn't?
Possibly. Depends. I think it won't be all that rare at that time though either. We will likely see somewhat of a fashion trend from this, especially since many have already purchased those masks.

I'm not a conservative and I've never had a problem calling out individuals for their poor behaviors.
Well you managed to call me out for the poor behaviour of generalising about right wing guys. Oddly you didn’t call out one of those guys in this very thread for his misogynist comments. I guess you pick your battles.

And Libertarian-right may be a different brand of conservatism than Republicanism but it’s still right wing.

And Libertarian-right may be a different brand of conservatism than Republicanism but it’s still right wing.

It's not conservatism at all. It's libertarianism.

It's not conservatism at all. It's libertarianism.
The defining attributes of Right-Libertarianism are an adherence to property rights and free-market capitalism which are conservative values.

I see you sidestepped the rest of my post.

The defining attributes of Right-Libertarianism are an adherence to property rights and free-market capitalism which are conservative values.

I see you sidestepped the rest of my post.

And there are defining attributes of libertarianism that very much class with conservatism. Libertarians of any kind aren’t conservatives.

Back
Top Bottom