• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"As a woman, I find wearing a face mask liberating ..."

How well do we truly really know anyone?
Hopefully you know yourself better than you claim to know anyone else. Otherwise, there are probably some things a person needs to look into doing a little "self discovery" about if they don't. In regards to how well a person may know themselves, that will depend on the person. I'm pretty confident I know how I feel about burning bras and religious garb of any kind though.

ROTHFLMAO!!!!! How do you get to "racial" hatred from anything I said?

A woman bemoaned the feeling of being judged by her looks, and commented on wearing a mask was "liberating" to her. So, in other words SHE is judging herself; that has nothing to do with me. A truley liberated person, especially a liberated woman; would NOT GIVE A DAMN about how anyone else judged her looks. Therefore the woman who commented is only limited by HER OWN weak self esteem, and I find that LAUGHABLE.

Nature made ugly people for a reason I suppose. Not every woman can be on the cheerleading squad; the band needs 5 foot tall 5 foot wide clarinet players too. LOL

4gtrvk.jpg
What? None of this bizarre post makes any sense. No one said anything about a “truly liberated woman”, that’s some nonsense you just invented. It’s also pretty contemptible to describe someone’s self esteem issues as “laughable”. Although it’s rather fitting for a guy who likes to fondly reminisce about calling girls ugly.

It's only obvious when you get within about three feet. Beyond that ...

Nah, dude. It's super obvious. People's natural skin isn't perfect like that.

I know that, but, due to the skill with which the makeup was applied it LOOKS LIKE she "looks like that naturally".

On the other hand, you can make a real botch of applying make up.

Some people would say that is skillfully and correctly applied as well. It all depends on your perspective.

You know they have clear masks right?

But my smiles are easily seen with my eyes, because when I smile, I prefer it to be genuine. There is no reason that I need to make "polite" smiles anymore.
I don't buy masks; I just use the paper disposables that stores hand out for free. From what I've read, cloth masks don't do a whole lot unless you have many layers. Most of those sold do not.

I don't buy masks; I just use the paper disposables that stores hand out for free. From what I've read, cloth masks don't do a whole lot unless you have many layers. Most of those sold do not.
Mine have inserts.

A study I read places the regular cloth masks when worn correctly at a very low level of effectiveness. The only cloth masks that were any good were made of two layers. One 600 thread cotton layer, and 1 layer of silk cloth. These are comparable to N95 masks. Even at that, a N95 mash has a low effectiveness unless properly worn.

How many people were these things properly?

What? None of this bizarre post makes any sense. No one said anything about a “truly liberated woman”, that’s some nonsense you just invented. It’s also pretty contemptible to describe someone’s self esteem issues as “laughable”.

I didn't open the door to the topic, some woman shared her feelings about her own low self esteem. What I find LAUGHABLE is how her self absorbed vanity becomes a reason for her to "share" her feelings in order to I suppose get group validation for her feelings, which to me is just her seeking narcissistic "fuel".

I find people who need constant validation laughable. Mainly because in their effort to shore up their weak self esteem, they draw even more unwanted attention to the very thing that is already bothering them. Who wouldn't want to laugh at that kind of lunacy?

Although it’s rather fitting for a guy who likes to fondly reminisce about calling girls ugly.

Many women are ugly. The truly smart ones (who are actually liberated) know they are ugly and then find ways to be more attractive from inside rather than worry about outward appearance. There are many drop dead gorgeous woman who are so "ugly inside" that they are WORSE than a homely looking woman. Smart women know this, and the good catches (best men) know it too.

Hopefully you know yourself better than you claim to know anyone else. Otherwise, there are probably some things a person needs to look into doing a little "self discovery" about if they don't. In regards to how well a person may know themselves, that will depend on the person. I'm pretty confident I know how I feel about burning bras and religious garb of any kind though.
Oh I know my self, and let me tell you, I'm spent far too much time reconciling myself with my nature to make any concessions for anyone.

It's not hard knowing other people. Just have to observe. The fun part for me is when I see them lying to themselves.

Oh yes. There are actually certain places that I couldn't work because I don't wear makeup, besides even just theater/actress or stripper. My sister was expected to wear makeup working at Macy's behind a counter, and it was just the accessories counter, not actually the makeup counter. I believe we have gotten a lot better about dropping that expectation, but it still does exist. Even going out when I was younger, the expectation was obvious, although it seems to come from other women (from my personal observations) more than men.

Now, in my family, wearing makeup is actually odd, especially since my mother didn't wear it, so two of my sisters wear it pretty much all the time, whenever they leave the house, and the other sister and I do not wear it. But my MIL has a hard time leaving the house without putting on some makeup (although even she has said that is changing).

Doctors and nurses in 'my' hospital - Akademiska, Uppsala - do not wear make-up on duty. I have never asked them if they are forbidden to do so or whether it is by common agreement. Being this is Sweden I expect the latter.

Have you ever considered wearing a burqa like some Muslim women? It would hide your face, clothing and eyes too if you so wish.

Doctors and nurses in 'my' hospital - Akademiska, Uppsala - do not wear make-up on duty. I have never asked them if they are forbidden to do so or whether it is by common agreement. Being this is Sweden I expect the latter.

Have you ever considered wearing a burqa like some Muslim women? It would hide your face, clothing and eyes too if you so wish.
I have never seen a nurse anywhere wearing make up while working

A study I read places the regular cloth masks when worn correctly at a very low level of effectiveness. The only cloth masks that were any good were made of two layers. One 600 thread cotton layer, and 1 layer of silk cloth. These are comparable to N95 masks. Even at that, a N95 mash has a low effectiveness unless properly worn.

How many people were these things properly?
And other studies have countered that.

"Cloth masks mainly keep you from unknowingly spreading the disease to others, ..."

This is the most important part, they reduce the chance that someone unknowingly infected will spread it to others.

"Cloth face masks have limited efficacy in combating viral infection transmission. However, it may be used in closed, crowded indoor, and outdoor public spaces involving physical proximity to prevent spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection. "

And other studies have countered that.

"Cloth masks mainly keep you from unknowingly spreading the disease to others, ..."

This is the most important part, they reduce the chance that someone unknowingly infected will spread it to others.

"Cloth face masks have limited efficacy in combating viral infection transmission. However, it may be used in closed, crowded indoor, and outdoor public spaces involving physical proximity to prevent spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection. "
Please show me where that disagrees with anything I said. Please note, it only addresses droplets. Not aerosols.

Maybe it's my bad, in that I didn't explicitly say cloth masks generally don't stop the aerosolized transmissions of the virus. If the virus wasn't transmitted via aerosols, then we wouldn't have seen the sharp rise coinciding with cold and flu season. Unless you are wearinging a N95 qualioty mask, that completely seals arounf your face, then the mask only stops the droplets, and doesn't filter the aerosols out.

Okay first, my job in the Navy was one where makeup wasn't allowed because technically you could potentially get contamination trapped between the makeup and your skin.

As for the wearing the burqa comment, I'm not Muslim and I have no need to hide the rest of my face. That sort of thing is plain rude because it in no way fits with anything I stated in the OP.

Okay first, my job in the Navy was one where makeup wasn't allowed because technically you could potentially get contamination trapped between the makeup and your skin.

As for the wearing the burqa comment, I'm not Muslim and I have no need to hide the rest of my face. That sort of thing is plain rude because it in no way fits with anything I stated in the OP.

No rudeness intended. I think you have said in some posts that you resent your clothing or 'fashion sense' being judged or what you see as an expectation that you use make-up.

You seem to be disgruntled and I seek only to help.

Last edited:
No rudeness intended. I think you have said in some posts that you resent your clothing or 'fashion sense' being judged or what you see as an expectation that you use make-up.

You seem to be disgruntled and I seek only to help.
No. I said that I don't have a great fashion sense but that wearing a mask helps me to realize that it doesn't matter what I wear because it is much harder to identify me if you don't know me especially while wearing a mask. It is about gaining confidence to wear those things without feeling self conscious about doing so. As for wearing makeup, that part was about others recognizing it wasn't necessary for them to wear it. It becomes an equalizer, allowing those like myself who do not wear makeup to not face as much judgement for that. It is not about feeling I need to hide because I don't wear makeup.

I didn't open the door to the topic, some woman shared her feelings about her own low self esteem. What I find LAUGHABLE is how her self absorbed vanity becomes a reason for her to "share" her feelings in order to I suppose get group validation for her feelings, which to me is just her seeking narcissistic "fuel".

I find people who need constant validation laughable. Mainly because in their effort to shore up their weak self esteem, they draw even more unwanted attention to the very thing that is already bothering them. Who wouldn't want to laugh at that kind of lunacy?

Many women are ugly. The truly smart ones (who are actually liberated) know they are ugly and then find ways to be more attractive from inside rather than worry about outward appearance. There are many drop dead gorgeous woman who are so "ugly inside" that they are WORSE than a homely looking woman. Smart women know this, and the good catches (best men) know it too.

Proudly declaring that empathy is beyond your emotional range probably explains why you reduce woman to just their appearance.

I don't like how it forces me to speak when a smile would do. You can communicate a lot with a facial expression, but not when half your face is covered up.
That's so true. I miss the smiles and grins from others and the smiles and grins I give that no one can see. Sometimes a smile from a stranger can lift the spirits of another and while you smile it makes you more happy.

If I had to be out and about as you are, I'd still be wearing my normal makeup too. Eeeeek, of course!

I'm really glad the mask hasn't caused breakouts; it has for many.

I have a pretty disciplined skincare routine so I think that helps too.

I have never seen a nurse anywhere wearing make up while working
My daughter is a nurse and she wears a modest amount of makeup. One of the best makeups ever created is the tinted moisturizer. All it does is even out skin tones and gives you a healthy glow while moisturizing your skin and has sunscreen. It comes in several shades and looks very natural. Any woman who just wants a little something it is perfect.

You responded to a woman talking about how liberating it was to not be judged on her appearance by chuckling about how you and your buddies used to judge woman’s appearance by calling them “double baggers”. In these times of racial tension it’s always gratifying to be reminded that right wing guys hate women as much as they hate black people.

Way to take one person on a message board's comments and morph them into "right-wing guys."

Way to take one person on a message board's comments and morph them into "right-wing guys."
I’ve seen his type before. But way to focus on a perceived insult towards the right rather an address this guy’s reprehensible attitude towards women.

I’ve seen his type before. But way to focus on a perceived insult towards the right rather an address this guy’s reprehensible attitude towards women.

I responded to one post and to what I pleased. I didn't want to get started on the obvious, which is that the OP began with "As a woman...," which very few participating on this thread are. But now I will: You let me, a woman, worry about some men's sexist attitudes toward women.

I responded to one post and to what I pleased. I didn't want to get started on the obvious, which is that the OP began with "As a woman...," which very few participating on this thread are. But now I will: You let me, a woman, worry about some men's sexist attitudes toward women.
Ok go for it. I will also continue to worry about some men’s sexist attitudes towards women. And also continue to call it out when I see here in this thread which you don’t seem too concerned with doing.

Back
Top Bottom