• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"As a woman, I find wearing a face mask liberating ..."

roguenuke

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So I stumbled across this article and found I agree with the person, if for different reasons, about how liberating wearing a mask makes me feel.

"Having always been self-conscious about my looks, I like the fact I can now go about my business without being judged on my appearance by others – male or female. "

This helps to describe me. I know I don't have a great fashion sense and I don't wear makeup (the few times I've tried to put it on, either I didn't notice any change in my appearance or it was way too much, likely because no one ever taught me how to wear it, since my mother doesn't wear makeup). Now, unlike this writer, I'm actually a very happy person. But then I also don't have the best teeth (they are crooked, never had braces but needed them) so wearing a mask allows me to talk to people and smile whenever I want, as long as I want without feeling self conscious about my teeth, that people may be staring. They can't.

In addition, I find that trading wearing a mask for ditching the bra allows a sort of carefree feeling. It kinda brings into context, reality how people will tell you not to care so much about your looks, how most of the people you see in public, who may judge you, don't actually know you so why should you care about their opinion on your looks. Wearing a mask allows that excuse to sort of test this concept, especially when going to places that are less formal, like stores or for a walk around your neighborhood.

Now, let me say that I do think this could apply to men too. This shouldn't limit the conversation to just women or about women, only that I can see how women would find it more liberating than men.

So I stumbled across this article and found I agree with the person, if for different reasons, about how liberating wearing a mask makes me feel.

"Having always been self-conscious about my looks, I like the fact I can now go about my business without being judged on my appearance by others – male or female. "

This helps to describe me. I know I don't have a great fashion sense and I don't wear makeup (the few times I've tried to put it on, either I didn't notice any change in my appearance or it was way too much, likely because no one ever taught me how to wear it, since my mother doesn't wear makeup). Now, unlike this writer, I'm actually a very happy person. But then I also don't have the best teeth (they are crooked, never had braces but needed them) so wearing a mask allows me to talk to people and smile whenever I want, as long as I want without feeling self conscious about my teeth, that people may be staring. They can't.

In addition, I find that trading wearing a mask for ditching the bra allows a sort of carefree feeling. It kinda brings into context, reality how people will tell you not to care so much about your looks, how most of the people you see in public, who may judge you, don't actually know you so why should you care about their opinion on your looks. Wearing a mask allows that excuse to sort of test this concept, especially when going to places that are less formal, like stores or for a walk around your neighborhood.

Now, let me say that I do think this could apply to men too. This shouldn't limit the conversation to just women or about women, only that I can see how women would find it more liberating than men.
I like to use my best Joker maniacal smile behind my mask. Exercises the face and the bigger the smile the better I feel.

I like to use my best Joker maniacal smile behind my mask. Exercises the face and the bigger the smile the better I feel.
As a Batman fan (although really Nightwing is my favorite), I approve.

More than one of my women friends have remarked how liberating they find it to not being told to smile all the time.

More than one of my women friends have remarked how liberating they find it to not being told to smile all the time.
I always tell people I smile all the time because I'm lazy. I do also recognize that women being told to smile is a thing.
"There are 43 muscles in the face, most of which are controlled by the cranial nerve (facial nerve). Seventeen of those muscles are used when you smile, and 43 of them are working when you frown."

I've discovered a sudden and very unexpected attraction to certain masked females. It's the eyes.

We used to use a term to describe a really ugly woman as a "two bagger"; one bag to cover her head during sex to cover her face to avoid seeing her, and then other one to cover yours in case hers falls off for extra protection.

This was a just boorish college frat buy joke, but it was the fist thing which I thought of reading the OP's posted article.

They actually sell these on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Head-Ugly-Cover-Joke/dp/B00NO68

71MyRLvBhmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

We used to use a term to describe a really ugly woman as a "two bagger"; one bag to cover her head during sex to cover her face to avoid seeing her, and then other one to cover yours in case hers falls off for extra protection.

This was a just boorish college frat buy joke, but it was the fist thing which I thought of reading the OP's posted article.

They actually sell these on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Head-Ugly-Cover-Joke/dp/B00NO68

71MyRLvBhmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

That is the first thing that you'd think of when it comes to face masks, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Interesting. So can i ask what were your thoughts on muslim women wearing a niqab( A[face] veil"), also called a ruband, is a garment of clothing that covers the face, worn by some Muslim women as a part of a particular interpretation of hijab (modest dress). ) before your own mask wearing? And do you think there is a similarity in why muslim women wear a niqab?

That is the first thing that you'd think of when it comes to face masks, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Did you not see the part in my post where I mentioned the OP's posted article? The article which speaks about a woman feeling liberated by wearing a mask because she now feels she isn't being judged on her appearance?

My post was in CONTEXT to the OP article. If that woman wants to feel really liberated, put a bag over here head or maybe a burka LOL. Why limit to a paper medical mask.

Did you not see the part in my post where I mentioned the OP's posted article? The article which speaks about a woman feeling liberated by wearing a mask because she now feels she isn't being judged on her appearance?

My post was in CONTEXT to the OP article. If that woman wants to feel really liberated, put a bag over here head or maybe a burka LOL. Why limit to a paper medical mask.

Court Jester defends his sexist comments by claiming that they need to be taken in the right context. And then adds more sexist comments. Brilliant!

You have to admire these people's shamelessness in their self-owns! (y)

Interesting. So can i ask what were your thoughts on muslim women wearing a niqab( A[face] veil"), also called a ruband, is a garment of clothing that covers the face, worn by some Muslim women as a part of a particular interpretation of hijab (modest dress). ) before your own mask wearing? And do you think there is a similarity in why muslim women wear a niqab?
I think that wearing the niqab or headscarf or veil should be based on choice of the person, especially since it should be for their personal modesty or beliefs. Sort of like some women never wearing skirts of certain length or not cutting their hair because of their religious beliefs or sense of modesty (or a combination). That is their personal choice, but it should not be forced on others.

I will not take the same exact stance on mask wearing though, at this time. Mask wearing right now, during a pandemic is mainly about health of others. This thread is more pointing out a potential secondary reason to wear them, that could become (although the cynical part of me doubts it) a voluntary decision by some women after they are not actually needed to help combat spread of a virus.

I think that wearing the niqab or headscarf or veil should be based on choice of the person, especially since it should be for their personal modesty or beliefs. Sort of like some women never wearing skirts of certain length or not cutting their hair because of their religious beliefs or sense of modesty (or a combination). That is their personal choice, but it should not be forced on others.

I will not take the same exact stance on mask wearing though, at this time. Mask wearing right now, during a pandemic is mainly about health of others. This thread is more pointing out a potential secondary reason to wear them, that could become (although the cynical part of me doubts it) a voluntary decision by some women after they are not actually needed to help combat spread of a virus.

Not wearing a face mask during a pandemic is stating very clearly that that person does not believe that people's lives matter.

My pores have found mask-wearing incredibly liberating. I haven't worn foundation for over a year now, and pre-COVID I wouldn't have set foot outside my home without wearing it. I mean EVER.

To be clear, I've never had a different stance on this. I've always said that wearing any sort of Muslim or other religious based coverings should be a matter of choice, always allowed (although provisions made to also be able to verify the identity of the person when necessary) but not mandated.

I do not find wearing a mask liberating. I find it repressive. The reusable ones get washed after every use so getting a little makeup on them is no big deal. The disposable ones get thrown away after one use.

I do not find wearing a mask liberating. I find it repressive. The reusable ones get washed after every use so getting a little makeup on them is no big deal. The disposable ones get thrown away after one use.
Or just don't wear makeup at all. Like I said, I have never worn makeup but I'm not oblivious to the fact that this makes me an oddball when it comes to women. But with masks, that is changing. It is becoming more common for more women to not wear makeup, something I consider to be a good thing.

Muslim women often say the same about their burkas and such.

Court Jester defends his sexist comments by claiming that they need to be taken in the right context. And then adds more sexist comments. Brilliant!

You have to admire these people's shamelessness in their self-owns! (y)

I was merely speaking to the fact that the woman in the article claimed that wearing a mask provided her with a feeling that she didn't need to be judged on looks; she is the one who brought up the subject. I'm just saying if she want to really feel "liberated" then wear a bag over her head, that way she doesn't have to worry about her hair as well as her face.

Don't blame me if it seems sexist, I'm not responsible for the multi billion dollar beauty aide industry which woman who feeling liberated or not, seem to in large measure willfully participate. All of that "sex" based reality all exists apart from anything I have said or observed.

clujr8q7t4g11.jpg

25eb2eac0d5bcfa0f4a485edb691abd2.jpg

Or just don't wear makeup at all. Like I said, I have never worn makeup but I'm not oblivious to the fact that this makes me an oddball when it comes to women. But with masks, that is changing. It is becoming more common for more women to not wear makeup, something I consider to be a good thing.
Most of my days have been at home since this pandemic began. I still will use a tinted moisturizer, a little mascara and lip gloss because after all, hubby has to look at me. Right now my biggest concern is my hair. I have not had a good haircut since August 12th. I have been trimming the front and sides to keep it out of my face. The other day I asked hubby to cut the back. It looked like he used pinking sheers. That took a while trying to clean it up. Just got my second shot Monday. In two weeks they told me I will be fully protected. I have a lot of appointments to make. The salon for the works. The dentist for a cleaning. The eye doctor for a checkup. A trip to the garden center and reservations to our favorite restaurants. And last but not least some serious shopping for some pretty summer things.

Most of my days have been at home since this pandemic began. I still will use a tinted moisturizer, a little mascara and lip gloss because after all, hubby has to look at me. Right now my biggest concern is my hair. I have not had a good haircut since August 12th. I have been trimming the front and sides to keep it out of my face. The other day I asked hubby to cut the back. It looked like he used pinking sheers. That took a while trying to clean it up. Just got my second shot Monday. In two weeks they told me I will be fully protected. I have a lot of appointments to make. The salon for the works. The dentist for a cleaning. The eye doctor for a checkup. A trip to the garden center and reservations to our favorite restaurants. And last but not least some serious shopping for some pretty summer things.
You realize that all those things are open for you now, right (except maybe the restaurant reservations thing, depending on where you live)? I have had several doctor's appointments, eye appointments (me and my kids), and gone other places despite being in a state with some of the highest number of restrictions. Those places have adapted in almost all states in the country for this pandemic, adjusting appointment schedules to make sure people aren't in crowds, especially for doctors or other medical type appointments. No state prevented people from going to the doctor's office or eye doctor or dentist for the entire year or even most of it.

I have no need to wear makeup for my husband.

Now, I do need a haircut. And I was planning, right before this started, to get my hair dyed for the first time in my life so that is still on the agenda. Still not a necessity though.

Muslim women often say the same about their burkas and such.

Like I said earlier, I'm good with that, so long as it is voluntary and something they want to do, not something they are made to do.

You realize that all those things are open for you now, right (except maybe the restaurant reservations thing, depending on where you live)? I have had several doctor's appointments, eye appointments (me and my kids), and gone other places despite being in a state with some of the highest number of restrictions. Those places have adapted in almost all states in the country for this pandemic, adjusting appointment schedules to make sure people aren't in crowds, especially for doctors or other medical type appointments. No state prevented people from going to the doctor's office or eye doctor or dentist for the entire year or even most of it.

I have no need to wear makeup for my husband.

Now, I do need a haircut. And I was planning, right before this started, to get my hair dyed for the first time in my life so that is still on the agenda. Still not a necessity though.
I am aware that many of those things/services were available. I never said they weren't but we took the threat of COVID very seriously. Now we have both completed our vaccinations and in a few more days life is going to get back to normal.

I was merely speaking to the fact that the woman in the article claimed that wearing a mask provided her with a feeling that she didn't need to be judged on looks; she is the one who brought up the subject. I'm just saying if she want to really feel "liberated" then wear a bag over her head, that way she doesn't have to worry about her hair as well as her face.

More sexist rhetoric. More demanding that it be interpreted CJ's way.

If you're looking for someone to fool, get the mirror out. :)

Back
Top Bottom