• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As a European - and from an outside perspective, in my opinion the US has a MASSIVE gun problem !

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If the US were a person and you look at it from the outside and its behaviour, it would seem this person is mentally ill and has an aggression- and gun problem.

You would call the guys with the white jacket because of a danger to itself and others.

In other words, the US must reform its gun laws and prohibit the sale and possession of machine guns and raise the age to buy handguns to 21 or 23 (as the brain of an 18-year old is still in development).

I wouldn’t worry about machine guns. I don’t think that’s ever been an issue. You can buy them but you need a tax stamp and I don’t think they’ve ever been any major contributor to gun violence.

The NRA counts on the GOP to kill all gun legislation.

This is why the NRA ply's GOP Senators with campaign contributions totaling millions of dollars.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R/UT) has received $3.5 million from the NRA. Sen. Mitch McConnell (R/KY) $1.5 million. Sen. Joni Ernst (R/IA) $2.5 million. etc. etc.

If the US were a person and you look at it from the outside and its behaviour, it would seem this person is mentally ill and has an aggression- and gun problem.

You would call the guys with the white jacket because of a danger to itself and others.

In other words, the US must reform its gun laws and prohibit the sale and possession of machine guns and raise the age to buy handguns to 21 or 23 (as the brain of an 18-year old is still in development).

I live next door. Canada. It is rather like watching a mad house.

The part that is most sickening is the politicians and walking dog shit who pile on these things with hostility and aggression. These kids bodies weren't even cold before the NRA-Wackos were staunchly 'defending' their right to carry a weapon designed for one and only one purpose - killing another human.

C'mon boys, the "organized militia so necessary in colonial times is totally insane in today's word. Holding on to a 200 year old idea truly is madness

I wouldn’t worry about machine guns. I don’t think that’s ever been an issue. You can buy them but you need a tax stamp and I don’t think they’ve ever been any major contributor to gun violence.

Oh.,...

I feel so much safer now.

"I don’t think that’s ever been an issue." YET

The 1934 law outlawing machine guns because of their killing people disagrees.

No.

So does Russia.

it's not guns, it's the society. This place breeds mentally ill young men, and school shootings reflect that.

The US has a mental health problem and an illegal gun problem in the intercity.

Blaming it mental health is absurd. The US has no more mental health problems than anyone else and mentally ill people are generally nonviolent

Does that mean you can't join the military until you are 21 or 23.
All those young men (ages 18 to 21) throughout history that fought for this nation and died, had under developed brains?

There are laws that prohibit the sale of "machine guns". LOL

The 1934 law outlawing machine guns because of their killing people disagrees.
Naw bro you can own them. It’s just they are actually regulated so literally nobody ever commits mass shoots by a with them. I mean **** you can buy 20mm anti-tank rifles and grenade launchers if you really want to lol.

Oh.,...

I feel so much safer now.

"I don’t think that’s ever been an issue." YET
Sir, it’s been legal to buy machines guns in the US for decades. The difference is we actually regulated them. If you look at any study regulating WHO can purchase firearms reduces mass shootings far more than WHICH firearms are legal. You can buy 20mm anti-tank rifles, semi-automatic grenade launches, fully automatic belt fed machine guns…etc etc. And yet most mass shooting are done with a hand gun or AR. Why? Because they are cheap, accessible and unregulated.

It’s possible for guns to be legal to own and also reduce gun violence.

1. It must be very difficult for international friends to understand the role of guns in American history.

It is even difficult for many Americans.

The United States is the result of westward movement.

You know that as they went, they fought the Native Americans.

You know that they bought a huge tract of land from France (Louisiana).

You know that they took land away from Mexico.

So fighting (and guns) seems to be deeply ingrained in the American soul.

And you have read about the horrible violent crime in our large cities. Many people feel they need guns for protection.

So I am afraid that this gun issue is going to be a very contentious topic for a long time.

(I know that many Americans used to be astonished to learn that police officers in England were famous for NOT having guns. I do not know the situation now in England -- or in Austria.)

Have a nice weekend!

Naw bro you can own them. It’s just they are actually regulated so literally nobody ever commits mass shoots by a with them. I mean **** you can buy 20mm anti-tank rifles and grenade launchers if you really want to lol.

I know, I was responding to the claim they've never been a cause of violence.

The US has a mental health problem and an illegal gun problem in the intercity.
The problem is a person with mental health problems can walk into a store and buy an arsenal to kill a bunch of people without question. Why don't people in England shoot up stores and schools? Are you saying they don't have people with mental health issues?

Back
Top Bottom