• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

As a businessman, who lives in Germany and ....

R

robby

As a businessman, who lives in Germany and often visits Moldova in connection of trade agreements of my small firm with Moldova wine cellars, I can't agree with disappointments of EU Parliament, sided with Kishinev and Kiev in the question of final settlement of Transdniestrian conflict. It's obvious that our Parliamentarians decided to support political campaign of Moldova and neighbouring Ukraine, directed at condemnation of aggressive actions of Tiraspol. They've charged Transdniestrian leaders with their unwillingness to settle the conflict on the borders with Moldova and Ukraine in a peaceful way.
But it's rather strange to hear such accusations against Tiraspol while it was Ukraine that has discredited its status of Guaranteeing Power in settling the conflict in Transdniestria now. You see, unilaterally Kiev has established economical blockade against Tiraspol and violated 1997 Memorandum, according to which Transdniestria has a right "to establish international contacts in economic, scientific and cultural spheres on its own initiative."
And there is no sense to speak about Moldavian "efforts to settle the conflict by peaceful by peaceful means", when it was Moldova (with unofficial support of Romania) who is bringing its troops and military equipment up to borders with Transdniestria. I saw it with my own eyes when I had to visit Tiraspol and crossed the border with Transdniestria in February.
Thus, our Parliamentarians should realize that their support of Moldovan and Ukrainian unlawful actions against Transdniestria may lead not only to humanitarian crisis and instability there, but also to defamation of EU character in the world.

Your thread should be titled like this: As a businessPERSON, who lives in Germany and ..... You're not PC. You might offend some bleeding-heart feminist!

Donkey1499 said:
Your thread should be titled like this: As a businessPERSON, who lives in Germany and ..... You're not PC. You might offend some bleeding-heart feminist!

PerSON pertains to the male.
Do keep up!

Robby baby,
Who's going to win this year's Eurovision? What's the German song like?

Urethra Franklin said:
Robby baby,
Who's going to win this year's Eurovision? What's the German song like?

Eurovision?? You actually watch that??

Would recognizing Transdniestrian as an independent republic help solving the problem?

Oh, and by the way, I like Eurovision very much. Germany had the beautiful singer Gracia in 2005 and she reached a good space 24 (out of 24). Her manager manipulated the charts to help her go to Eurovision. It's not ok, but well, it happened. Eurovison is great anyway.

Wow Volker, I'm beginning to like you.

What's your view on the language rule? I personally preferred the years when people were obliged to sing in one of their national languages. English is so dominant now that the non-anglophone songs don't really stand a chance.

There are so much rules, I would prefer to leave the language of the songs to the artists. If the audience like it, it's fine with me.

As I remember right, the last song Germany won with was German Language
"Ein bisschen Friede" by Nicole. But the languages change from time to time, it depends on who wins the screening. "Waterloo" would have sounded good in Swedish, too, I guess :lol:

This time Germany participates with an English language song, "No, No, Never" by Texas Lightning. This band has been present since 1996, but they never had a song of their own, they always covered songs and gave it Country song touch. But you have to have a new song for Eurovision, so the singer wrote one. She is from Australia, so she wrote it in English. It's pretty successful in the charts, so this time our chances are better :smile:

It's true in the old days it could have been argued thet the UK, Ireland and Malta had an unfair advantage being the only nations with the right to enter in English, since wheter we like it or not, English is the international language that most others would understand as a second language, that was an undoubted advantage. However I think it's sad that the national flavour has gone. Last year's Greek winner, sung in English, had nothing particularly Greek about it, just as there was nothing particulaly Estonian about a guy from the US winning for Estonia screaming "come on everybody" or Switzerland's choice of a band of Estonian rock chicks being particularly Swiss. I think the language rule at least helped to keep the national identity of the entries. I've watched Eurovision since childhood, so I'm afraid I'm a bit of a purist!

This is true, it changed. Europe changes, many people from country A move to country B and vice versa, so Eurovision is not much different from Europe.

Volker said:
This is true, it changed. Europe changes, many people from country A move to country B and vice versa, so Eurovision is not much different from Europe.

True, you are right of course.
But I just long to hear Katie Boyle again pronouncing some Serbo-Croat title in her BBC accent!

Urethra Franklin said:
True, you are right of course.
But I just long to hear Katie Boyle again pronouncing some Serbo-Croat title in her BBC accent!
Katie Boyle? This is so long ago, isn't it?

Urethra Franklin said:
Millins of us do. It just takes guts to admit it.

I love Eurovision. The UK acts are unequivocally crap, though, so I usually cheer for Russia. Family loyalty and all that. I am the only one who just wants to shove Terry Wogan microphone up his left nostril?

Urethra Franklin said:
Ouch, that hurt
;)
Oh, this was not meant mean. Didn't Katie Boyle moderate in the ninetess, when we both went to school :2razz:

Enola/Alone said:
I love Eurovision. The UK acts are unequivocally crap, though, so I usually cheer for Russia.
So, you like t.at.u.? They are really good with music and it was kinda funny, when they had these T-shirts against Iraq war in American TV and the TV managers didn't know it, because it was Cyrillic :2razz:

Enola/Alone said:
I love Eurovision. The UK acts are unequivocally crap, though, so I usually cheer for Russia. Family loyalty and all that. I am the only one who just wants to shove Terry Wogan microphone up his left nostril?

I remember from my days in the UK that Terry's commentary was annoying, and often outrightly xenophobic. But French commentators are sometimes no better. Last year we had Julien Lepers (national nutcase) and Guy Carly (national obese puke) talking over songs and over the voting. Though for a couple of years previously we did have the very talented Laurent Ruquier, who was very funny when he commentated and knew exactly when to shut up - a skill Wogan's never learned.

I was actually present in Birmingham in '98, and it was hysterical to see Wogan so unnerved by the transexual winner Dana International. Going back to Katie Boyle, she was in the audience in the front row (by then aged about 108 but still a beautiful woman). Germany's Guildo Horn jumping down to kiss her was another highlight.

Last edited:
Urethra Franklin said:
Germany's Guildo Horn jumping down to kiss her was another highlight.
I think, he was the first one of these comedian style singers. He has actually got a lot of points :mrgreen:

Urethra Franklin said:
Well Volker - your thoughts on this years contest??????????
A hard rock band at place 1? What do these voters think :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm not happy about place 15 for Germany.
I thought, we vote for Turkey and they vote for us :mrgreen:
Does everything have to change? Oh wait, Romania/Moldova and Greece/Cyprus still works. Norway/Iceland is another good combination, but it only works, if Iceland artists are nice with the audience ;)

Volker said:
A hard rock band at place 1? What do these voters think :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm not happy about place 15 for Germany.
I thought, we vote for Turkey and they vote for us :mrgreen:
Does everything have to change? Oh wait, Romania/Moldova and Greece/Cyprus still works. Norway/Iceland is another good combination, but it only works, if Iceland artists are nice with the audience ;)

Well, the hard rock monsters were a gimmick - which worked (better than the Lithuanian "we are the winners" gimmick!) Not my cup of tea, but I am pleased to see Finland finally win after all these years. Kind of makes up for years of being undervoted for (Cat Cat's "Bye Bye Baby" should have done better in '94, and back in the 70's they had the most beautiful Roberta Flack type balled "Keep Me Warm")

Hard luck for Germany. I did like it, but there was nothing particularly very German about it was there? Hence my liking for the old language rule.

Neighbour and aliance voting? Well it's inevitable I guess, even more so with televoting than with the old juries. I shamelessly televote for the countries I've been linked to in the past (UK and Slovenia), though for me the best entries were Bosnia Herzegovina (beautiful song) and Turkey (full of energy).

See you in Helsinki next year!
(and by the way, for me "Gengis Khan" was by far the best German entry ever!)

Back
Top Bottom