• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Artificial Wombs and Lab Grown babies

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In the 1920s, scientist J B S Haldane famously predicted that by 2074 more than 70% of humans would be born from an artificial womb. We are still a long way off that, however babies are coping with spending an increasing amount of gestation time outside the human body. Fertilisation can occur in the lab, as can the first two weeks of the embryo forming. Babies can also survive despite being born at 22-24 weeks – something that was unthinkable in the 1970s. Link.

Interesting article on the possibilities of gestation occurring outside the human body. The article writer, a professor reproductive medicine suggests that by the mid century we may have "baby pods" - what do you feel are the ethics and possibilities?

OK - but let's get this image out of the way first...

fgpvy.jpg

Interesting article on the possibilities of gestation occurring outside the human body. The article writer, a professor reproductive medicine suggests that by the mid century we may have "baby pods" - what do you feel are the ethics and possibilities?

fgpvy.jpg

I think anything Mankind can imagine can be made a reality.

The morality of it? Unsure. :wassat1:

My personal opinion is that a lot more goes on in the womb than simply gestation.

I "feel" that developing babies are exposed to more than just hormones in the womb; that there is some impact from the experiences of and around the mother, which I believe has an effect on personality and other intangible developmental factors.

I would prefer it remain a human thing rather than a crèche thing. Otherwise we might start to develop an amoral worldview that we are a disposable commodity rather than having any individual value as a Human Being.

Last edited:
I question the genetic integrity of in vitro babies, because during natural reproduction the best sperm has to compete to win. With in vitro, the lab techs select sperm for impregnation.

My guess would be that babies grown in artificial wombs would have different developmental characteristics. They don't hear the constant sound of a mother's heart beat, her voice, her day to day life. They aren't born through a rush of adrenaline and a powerful hormonal cocktail which bonds them to their parents. We could be looking at entire generations of children who don't have the same human capacities as those naturally born.

There's already research comparing c-sectioned babies vs. naturally born. I can only imagine what kinds of abnormalities would occur in those born from pods.

I think anything Mankind can imagine can be made a reality.

The morality of it? Unsure. :wassat1:

My personal opinion is that a lot more goes on in the womb than simply gestation.

I "feel" that developing babies are exposed to more than just hormones in the womb; that there is some impact from the experiences of and around the mother, which I believe has an effect on personality and other intangible developmental factors.

I would prefer it remain a human thing rather than a crèche thing. Otherwise we might start to develop an amoral worldview that we are a disposable commodity rather than having any individual value as a Human Being.

We already have, what most traditional ethics consider "an amoral worldview that we are a disposable commodity rather than having any individual value as a Human Being". We most only pay lip service to the latter having "individual value as a Human Being" and hardly ever let it get in the way of ideology or our right to the Pursuit of Fun.

fgpvy.jpg

'Looks like food to me. Not my kind, but food, nonetheless.

We already have, what most traditional ethics consider "an amoral worldview that we are a disposable commodity rather than having any individual value as a Human Being". We most only pay lip service to the latter having "individual value as a Human Being" and hardly ever let it get in the way of ideology or our right to the Pursuit of Fun.

Speak for yourself please. :naughty

My use of "we" was suggestive of the possibility of a future universal outlook on the subject...mere conjecture as to one of the effects of this kind of birth technique.

Currently "we" do not all share such an amoral view.

Speak for yourself please. :naughty

My use of "we" was suggestive of the possibility of a future universal outlook on the subject...mere conjecture as to one of the effects of this kind of birth technique.

Currently "we" do not all share such an amoral view.

Okay. You are right. The "we" only referred to our collectivity and the way our society as a whole functions.

I think a lot of women want to "experience" pregnancy and giving birth and feel that its an important part of being a woman and bonds them with their children. But there are probably other women who might love the idea of not getting bloated and fat and going through all that hormonal change and pain of childbirth and still have a child. Choices, choices, choices. Regardless, I don't think it would be good for the baby to gestate outside the womb. Even though technology has made advances...a lot of babies born prematurely sometimes have difficulties in learning and development as the get older. I agree a lot with Northern Light in post #3.

Okay. You are right. The "we" only referred to our collectivity and the way our society as a whole functions.

Or...we three: me, myself and I.

Somewhere Frank Herbert is looking down and thinking to himself, "I told you so".

And Giger, too. They're both probably having a good laugh.

fgpvy.jpg

Kind of like reinventing the wheel don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom