• The forum will be going down at about 7:30 AM CST Oct 16 for maintenance. We should be down less than 1 hour.

• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Article about when police lie

Glitch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm reminded of an old joke:

The LAPD, the FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test. He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.

The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist.

The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and they make no apologies. The rabbit had it coming.

The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is yelling: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!'

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of the better articles I've seen lately on police mentality.

Gaius46

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

snakestretcher

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Cops should be mandated to wear bodycams at all times without exception, with no way of either disabling them or turning them off when convenient. That might go some way toward addressing their behaviour.

Drowning Man

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Even good cops lie. It is part of the job. They have been given a pass to lie by the Supreme Court if they can trick people into incriminating themselves.

It's no real wonder that since lying has become a regular part of the job, that the lying has bled over into areas where they aren't supposed to lie, like on official statements or in court.

So many people think that they are being radical by holding a BLM sign and marching and chanting. That's nice. But do something real, something tough. Film the police when you see them. Get an objective third person view to what they are doing so that the bad cops can't lie as easily. That's how you can make a difference.

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Cops should be mandated to wear bodycams at all times without exception, with no way of either disabling them or turning them off when convenient. That might go some way toward addressing their behaviour.

I agree. I've advocated this for decades. Actually primarily to help get evidence that HELPS them, to disprove defendants lying about what happened, but also to catch them and deter wrong behavior. Sadly all the cams I hear about, they choose when to activate them and they seem very aware of how to 'game the system'.

Top Bottom