• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Article 13: Europe's hotly debated revamp of copyright law, explained

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

First they came for the privacy violations, then they came for the memes.
The European Union is trying to pass a hotly debated law on copyright. The European Copyright Directive has been two years in the making, and on June 20, the European Parliament's legal affairs committee voted to approve the draft legislation.

And from a YouTubers perspective:

Thoughts?

Personally I think this lends more reasons for Brexit.

we, as the united states, need to pull out of europe and wish them the best of luck against their fight with russia. we wouldnt mean it, but we would sound polite by saying it. i would root for europe, but i dont think they have the balls to fight dirty enough to win the war

Yeah, right? Europe has always been full of laid-back pacifists without the inclination or wherewithall to defend themselves. It's been a common thread throughout history. Helpless, they are, and without America they...

BWAHhahahaha! Ohjeezus! Hahahahaaa! Gawddamn!
(wiping eyes) Sorry, I almost pulled it off. Almost got that out with a straight face.

Yeah, right? Europe has always been full of laid-back pacifists without the inclination or wherewithall to defend themselves. It's been a common thread throughout history. Helpless, they are, and without America they...

(wiping eyes) Sorry, I almost pulled it off. Almost got that out with a straight face.
Those were the bad old days. Now we're all into making money and be it off scumbags.;)

Without America, they would most likely die. At this point they've pretty much done this to themselves and are still pretty week as a country.

Without America, they would most likely die. At this point they've pretty much done this to themselves and are still pretty week as a country.
and being able to spell properly ain't gonna be no help here either.:mrgreen:

Who are you refering to?

Seeing how you don't live in Europe, what's your worry?

You want me to help you with your electoral system or your gun laws?:2razz:

Our Electoral system and guns laws are just fine thanks.

But hey, if you want Google, Twitter, Facebook and all other sites like them to pull out of European countries that sure is your prerogative. Makes me understand Brexit more though.

and being able to spell properly ain't gonna be no help here either.:mrgreen:

If that's your only rebuttal, then looking for an intellectual conversation from you is apparently a fruitless endeavor.

Our Electoral system and guns laws are just fine thanks.

But hey, if you want Google, Twitter, Facebook and all other sites like them to pull out of European countries that sure is your prerogative. Makes me understand Brexit more though.
I don't use any of them and Brexit isn't about them anyway.

If that's your only rebuttal, then looking for an intellectual conversation from you is apparently a fruitless endeavor.
In your case that's more true than you appear to realize.

And from a YouTubers perspective:

Thoughts?

Personally I think this lends more reasons for Brexit.

The goal is undoubtedly to shut down utube.

The European political/social philosphy is to have everything done via knowing the right patron. To be connected with the in crowd. Openness is totally against this. Not allowing videos of politicians taking bribes is music to the ears of the European elite.

I don't use any of them and Brexit isn't about them anyway.

Never said Brexit was about them. I said I could understand the reasons for Brexit with this though. Those that want Brexit are tired of the stupidity of the European Parliament.

Seriously, did you not read the article or watch the video? These laws are going to affect millions of Europeans. People that do use them. People that have jobs with these companies. Or makes money due to these companies. These laws will even affect DP. And because of that, you. All search engines will be affected, not just google. All video sharing sites will be affected, not just youtube. Any website with links will be affected, not just twitter or facebook.

Mostly France and the UK at this point.

I have no idea why you think Britain and France are 'pretty weak'. They're both nuclear powers and both have delivery systems for their nukes. France's special forces are proven in various places in Africa and the British Royal Navy might not be quite as huge as the American navy but it's by no means 'weak' and the British SAS is second to none in the world.
There's a tendency in the US to think that NATO is just the US and a bunch of hangers-on but there's nothing to support that.

Never said Brexit was about them. I said I could understand the reasons for Brexit with this though. Those that want Brexit are tired of the stupidity of the European Parliament.

Seriously, did you not read the article or watch the video? These laws are going to affect millions of Europeans. People that do use them. People that have jobs with these companies. Or makes money due to these companies. These laws will even affect DP. And because of that, you. All search engines will be affected, not just google. All video sharing sites will be affected, not just youtube. Any website with links will be affected, not just twitter or facebook.
My initial point (and it remains) was and is why don't you leave it to the Europeans to fret over? Seeing how, in whatever form the whole thing finally gets to be implemented, it sure as heck won't affect you.

Or do you truly expect Europe to be able to sue DP over any copy-righted "news" from Europe being uploaded?

Heck, unless somebody takes the trouble to attach a translation, that happens as good as never anyway.

And the whole Brexit issue is currently governed by far more important factors than this.

My initial point (and it remains) was and is why don't you leave it to the Europeans to fret over? Seeing how, in whatever form the whole thing finally gets to be implemented, it sure as heck won't affect you.

Or do you truly expect Europe to be able to sue DP over any copy-righted "news" from Europe being uploaded?

Heck, unless somebody takes the trouble to attach a translation, that happens as good as never anyway.

And the whole Brexit issue is currently governed by far more important factors than this.

This is showing that you have no clue of the ramifications of these articles. A tax on every link that is clicked each time its clicked. That's Article 11. While article 13 may not affect me as much. Article 11 will as it will force sites to find a way to pay for that tax. Who do you think will be the ones paying that tax? Assuming that all those little sites like DP aren't shut down because of it? (not all sites can select the countries they are hosted in)

But quite frankly it isn't just about me or you. You are naive if you think that this is only going to affect Europeans. This is going to have a major impact on the whole of the internet and many small businesses that are based out of the internet.

Yeah well, I've said about everything on this that I was going to, continuance will only resort in a repetitive and rather boring endless loop on both our sides.

So thanks for sharing your opinion and bye.

I have no idea why you think Britain and France are 'pretty weak'. They're both nuclear powers and both have delivery systems for their nukes. France's special forces are proven in various places in Africa and the British Royal Navy might not be quite as huge as the American navy but it's by no means 'weak' and the British SAS is second to none in the world.
There's a tendency in the US to think that NATO is just the US and a bunch of hangers-on but there's nothing to support that.

Really? Because France is having a hard enough time with it's own populace at the moment and the UK is in more than enough hot water with crime and immigration. Places in the UK are even giving civilians jail time for defending themselves against harm. Not to mention jailing them violating speech laws.

NATO is a bunch of hangers-on at this point.

Really? Because France is having a hard enough time with it's own populace at the moment and the UK is in more than enough hot water with crime and immigration. Places in the UK are even giving civilians jail time for defending themselves against harm. Not to mention jailing them violating speech laws.

NATO is a bunch of hangers-on at this point.

Right. Because protesters in the street and hate speech laws have such an adverse affect on military strength.
You don't have a clue whatyou're talking about. Britan and France both have strong military and NATO, even without th US, is a dominant force. Stronger than Russia, that's for sure, and NATO might be best served by the US pulling out.
You might need to be reminded that the one time NATO's mutual defense agreement was invoked was when the US was attacked on 9/11. Two Portugese soldiers died in Afghanistan because the US was attacked. Two Latvians, too.

Right. Because protesters in the street and hate speech laws have such an adverse affect on military strength.
You don't have a clue whatyou're talking about. Britan and France both have strong military and NATO, even without th US, is a dominant force. Stronger than Russia, that's for sure, and NATO might be best served by the US pulling out.
You might need to be reminded that the one time NATO's mutual defense agreement was invoked was when the US was attacked on 9/11. Two Portugese soldiers died in Afghanistan because the US was attacked. Two Latvians, too.

Telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, is pretty much pot and kettle at this point.

Nato would most likely be completely screwed if 1 or two of it's "actual" paying members leaves. Three of those being the US, Greece and Britain and other countries have been forced to make up for the others slack, along with the US as well.

Though I'm still also not so blind as to see that two countries suffering internal turmoil. Might actually have a problem defending themselves if the time came for it.

Telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, is pretty much pot and kettle at this point.

Nato would most likely be completely screwed if 1 or two of it's "actual" paying members leaves. Three of those being the US, Greece and Britain and other countries have been forced to make up for the others slack, along with the US as well.

Though I'm still also not so blind as to see that two countries suffering internal turmoil. Might actually have a problem defending themselves if the time came for it.

You don't understand what that 'funding' contriversy is. It;s not a shortfall in a pool or anything like that. It's not the US having to take up slack. It's countries not spending 2% of their GDP on miliary spending.
The US wouldn't be missed if it pulled out of NATO. Certainly the whining won't be missed.

Back
Top Bottom