• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Art.

BrettNortje

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Art is something quite new to me, so please be patient if you find i am stating the obvious - it is for me all about justification, okay?

So, it occurred to me that certain types of lines will have different effects on people's appreciation of your art. after all, what is art but to be appreciated - can you eat it or use it in some way? it is purely about appreciation by others, like jewelry.

If the line is curved, straight or totally swirling, we need to look at our lives to find out where this is going. eyes, the focal point of our socializing - as we like to look people in the eyes when we talk to them, would be where we focus - circles. these circles will be of interest to us as they will resemble eyes, coins and boobs and so forth - anything you can think of that is circular that attracts attention would prove this is always the introduction to the work of art, yes?

Straight lines would be where the mind shifts to 'traveling.' these lines will depict the traveling of the work from one point to the end of the line, and, that will be the frame of the picture - this is why canvases are square instead of triangular and circular, as the person will see the outline and then frame the picture with their eyes, looking for the image, where it is 'held.' so straight lines will add emotions in the form of 'fright' or 'curiosity,' this is because the mind will travel quickly with the information, or be confused if there are to many lines. each look will be easy to carry out to conclusion, but the interrupts of other circles will distract the on looker. this means that if you had a huge amount of straight lines in the tapestry, you could be done looking at it quickly, yes?

Curvy lines would make you think of faces, as they are between angles and straight lines, yes? this would mean that your mind would linger, as if looking at a 'portfolio of faces.' think about the curvy things in the world we are used to, other people are the first thing that comes to mind, of course. naturally, if you are looking for some real comfort, say you have an empty office or something, a 'curvy lined artwork' will make you less anxious for company, as you would see other people out there in the picture, of course.

There must be more to this, how have i done so far?

So, we have found that certain types of lines, as lines make up shapes, do different things to the way we see it and feel about it. if we were to observe that there are other shapes, like squares, spheres and triangles, then we could maybe see the work as a 'collage of shapes' too? These more vague and subtle shapes will also influence the way you feel when you look at the picture for 'your own ends.'

If we were to look at squares, well, there are already squares around the outline of the picture usually. this is to be neat and tidy most of the time, but as i said previously, the squares make your subconscious go around the whole outside to separate the picture from what else you see, like the wall it is mounted on. i suppose we might find squares boring, seeing them all day in the way of walls and doors and other things, this is why cars with curves are so sought after, of course. if you were to observe that squares of different styles make for good maths drawings, then it must be logical to say that squares are easy to understand, therefore flow over your periphery or image of the art work quickly, allowing for a second look, and a third. this means that we find square shapes soothing to us, as they decipher so easily.

Then there are spheres, typically someone's face or body. these are good for likening our complicated features to the picture, but, if one was to think about it, we would feel as if we were looking in a mirror! this means that the 'face' or 'sphere' needs to be dented correctly, as, if has definition on it, and it does not allow for a quick analysis of the picture, then it will make us uncomfortable with the sphere, likening it to our face, and think our face is hard to take in. this will make us feel ugly and there is no ways we can enjoy a picture like that.

Triangles are like noses and often hands. there are other triangles too, but they are used seldom. i figure the triangles will make you feel like you are looking at a roof of a house, so naturally the best place to put them is above the focus of the image, yes? if you were to put a triangle above a cross, then you will compliment both of them, as, you will first look for the triangle, as you want to see what is at the top of the picture, and then easily decipher the cross, going back to the triangle and then the cross - evidently this is the way most people would approach it. people look to the top of the picture often when they consider it at all, wanting to see what all the fuss is about.

These theories could be tested on other established arts, but let me draw a comparison to the often used mona lisa? this is a simple face with the right denting to the sphere, triangles at the bottom of the picture with her hands and her head also resembles a triangle, as her hair sits like that. this would be so appreciated because the outline of the triangles is taken in nearly as quickly as a square or line, and they frame the sphere of the face so nicely.

You might be interested in Carl Jung's analysis and usage of mandalas. Part of the reason why circles and curved lines appeal to people is that they permit more flexible consciousness and creative thinking. A circle has no beginning or end -- it never ends reality, only recycles it. Because there's nowhere to go, there is no goal, and therefore no obligation. It relaxes the consciousness. Straight lines don't really exist that much in nature; even lines that seem straight have a bit of a gradient curve to them when measured. In art, straight lines are more suggestive of conclusions and linear thought. They provide structure, like beginnings and endings, or vantage points that take us from "here to there". Straight lines begin and end reality.

You might be interested in Carl Jung's analysis and usage of mandalas. Part of the reason why circles and curved lines appeal to people is that they permit more flexible consciousness and creative thinking. A circle has no beginning or end -- it never ends reality, only recycles it. Because there's nowhere to go, there is no goal, and therefore no obligation. It relaxes the consciousness. Straight lines don't really exist that much in nature; even lines that seem straight have a bit of a gradient curve to them when measured. In art, straight lines are more suggestive of conclusions and linear thought. They provide structure, like beginnings and endings, or vantage points that take us from "here to there". Straight lines begin and end reality.

I am glad someone else sees things as more than just rolling the dice to get a pretty picture, and, i love your avatar!

Art i find is also sometimes about 'a greater message.' this is where it reflects the politics of the times usually, or, the rights people are fighting for. if they were to include a message, or, the artwork is a message, then it will get publicity if enough people know about it, and the price will go up - this is why you are doing art, to sell your piece, usually?

This is relevant in cartoons too, as political cartoons always have a message, and it is usually a complaint. i would say most messages are complaints or appeals to people to change things, the thing is, how can a art admirer change the world? well, if they are a journalist, then they could use their own media to promote the message, but otherwise it would be down to person to person relays to see 'changes' made.

If you were to observe that the best colors to use are bright colors for stimulating energy, and dark colors for slower appreciation, you could look at various art works and see how they stimulate your mind. then, there may be more questions, maybe how to mix colors and get definite reactions out of people?

The starting point is usually a 'bright color.' this grabs attention and makes you focus on it, looking for where to go next. for example, a spiral with black between it could really accentuate it if it was done with bright colors. white is the brightest color, but it is actually a lack of color, as, this is the default of 'nothing.' so, yellow is the brightest interesting color, as it is as bright as it gets. white and red make pink, another great color for grabbing attention, yes?

So what do we do with this information? i would say it is a good idea to use bright colors next to dark colors for a more pleasant experience, as then you would have moments of lingering along with moments of subconscious mental orgasms.

Back
Top Bottom