• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arrogance/Bragging/Boasting[W:37]

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
While I was eating lunch today at a local restaurant, a man came up to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said (paraphrasing):

You might not know me, but I know a lot of local teachers around this part of the state. And I just wanted to let you know that everyone thinks very highly of you in your district. I hear just wonderful things about you. I saw you and just wanted you to know that. Keep up the good work!
It made my day. :)

After he said that I was thinking to myself: "I know I'm a really good teacher. It's nice to hear when other people notice and acknowledge it."

My question --- If I had said that out loud to my group of friends at the table, would that have been seen as arrogant? Would that have been seen as bragging? Was just thinking it arrogant?

Lutherf

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"Thank you. It's always nice to be recognized for doing something good and something that you enjoy."

It's only arrogant if you make an issue out of it.

Oh, and congratulation!!!

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
yes ,it would be seen as arrogance

what lutherf said l think

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Goshin

The Hammer of Chaos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It ain't bragging if you can do it. :)

ttwtt78640

Sometimes wrong
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
While I was eating lunch today at a local restaurant, a man came up to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said (paraphrasing):

After he said that I was thinking to myself: "I know I'm a really good teacher. It's nice to hear when other people notice and acknowledge it."

My question --- If I had said that out loud to my group of friends at the table, would that have been seen as arrogant? Would that have been seen as bragging? Was just thinking it arrogant?
Having another pat you on the back is different than doing it yourself. ;)

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Does this smell like chlorophyll?
Then I woke up in an ice bath in a Motel 6 with stitches along my side and prescription medications on the counter.
Well that's how I read your post anyway:mrgreen:

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Saying it aloud and thinking it would be arrogant?
if it is not why do you ask ?

you may express your feelings in a way which wil be both modest and honest

what lutherf said is true l think

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I guess what I'm asking is should we always play the modest card and say things like "Oh, I'm not that great" or "I'm not even close to the best at my school!" when you really don't believe that?

Goshin

The Hammer of Chaos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My son's 4th and 5th grade teacher was an AWESOME teacher. Her name was Burrell.

Son Numbah One is now 17. We run into Burrell out at Walmart sometimes, and Son Numbah One (who is quite self-conscious of his dignity and appearances) always goes to her and hugs her. I invariably tell her what a great teacher she is, and how much I wish we could have just KEPT her as my son's teacher for the rest of his school years. I've told her before that she has a God-given talent for teaching and that I'd guess she's positively impacted thousands of young lives over the years. I cannot praise her enough; they should erect a freaking STATUE of her on the school grounds.

Contrariwise, most of Son Numbah One's other teachers ranged from Meh to You Gotta Be Kidding Me, and I wouldn't give half of them a cheap watch on retirement.

So it you gots it, struts it. :)

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Not if they are truly your friends ... I love it when my friends share with me nice things that happened to them. Their reaction should be to smile and give you a hug, because they know how hard it is to do what you do and for relative low pay ... There is something terribly wrong when some athlete makes in one game what a teacher makes in a year ...

Lutherf

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I guess what I'm asking is should we always play the modest card and say things like "Oh, I'm not that great" or "I'm not even close to the best at my school!" when you really don't believe that?
No. Hell no!!

When someone gives you a compliment you should accept graciously. The ONLY exception is when the accomplishment is the direct result of a team effort and then you accept the compliment graciously AND recognize the rest of the team. If you give one of those "Aw shucks.....for 'lil ol' me?" things it comes off as if you're fishing for another compliment.

Gipper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Yes it's bragging. I also see nothing wrong with bragging when it's done within reason.

Who has two thumbs and loves me?

*points thumbs at himself*

This guy.

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
You mean chloroform? ;)

Haha. Oh, no! I'm so afraid of a green pigment found in cyanobacteria and the chloroplasts of algae and plants. :)

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You mean chloroform? ;)
Nope, that's what I typed and spell-check corrected me away from it. Chrome is even telling me that your word is misspelled. Oh well, I tried.

GottaGo

Rock and a hard place
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Nah, acknowledge the compliment with something like 'I appreciate knowing my hard work has a positive effect!'.

There is nothing wrong with knowing you do a good job.

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I don't know how you do it, Josie. I couldn't. Teaching is a fairly thankless but incredibly important job. Good on you.

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I don't know how you do it, Josie. I couldn't. Teaching is a fairly thankless but incredibly important job. Good on you.
I don't know what it is about today but a few people have said something like that to me. I guess with the new school year coming up. They look at me with pity. Heh.

And thank you. :)

MaggieD

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

It would depend on how you said it:

"Just to let you know . . . (with a little chicken-neckin' goin' on...raising one eyebrow) that guy over there said I was awesommmme....!!" would be considered arrogant.

"OMG! That man over there just said I was an awesome teacher! Made my day!!" would not.

Cardinal

Respected on both sides
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

It's bragging if it's unnecessary to progressing your career.

Cardinal

Respected on both sides
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No. It's dishonest and there's no benefit in it.

I say this coming from a career where self promotion is, unfortunately, a 24/7 aspect of it, and self promotion where it's uncalled for and false modesty are not looked upon positively.

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
No. It's dishonest and there's no benefit in it.

I say this coming from a career where self promotion is, unfortunately, a 24/7 aspect of it, and self promotion where it's uncalled for and false modesty are not looked upon positively.
real career comes without any promotion l think

Cardinal

Respected on both sides
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
And at the risk of contradicting myself, congratulations on being an awesome teacher.

Cardinal

Respected on both sides
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Top Bottom