• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Around 350,000 Americans will die from COVID in 12 months. Is that winning?

that has to be the saddest commentary about this entire era. 800-1,000 American deaths in a day is getting BETTER.
But it's not 800-1000 deaths a day in the US. With a little luck for the Dem party, it could reach that again and possibly more. You'll have to check out worldometers.
I think you're hoping for 800-1000 deaths a day even more than I am!

How in God's name can you seriously compare the ability of an island of 4 million people with one government to combat a virus to the United states with 340 million people and 50+ governments?

You brought Alabama to the conversation and I just showed you"

NZ deaths 25

AL deaths 2,805

And again, I have not seen studies linking the size of a country to the results of a pandemic.

But I have seen studies linking the population density to such results

How in God's name can you seriously compare the ability of an island of 4 million people with one government to combat a virus to the United states with 340 million people and 50+ governments?
Why wouldn't it be a good comparison? Population density would be an even better comparison.

You brought Alabama to the conversation and I just showed you"

NZ deaths 25

AL deaths 2,805

And again, I have not seen studies linking the size of a country to the results of a pandemic.

But I have seen studies linking the population density to such results

And Alabama is an island and thus able to incredibly easily control migration? Not last I looked.

Why wouldn't it be a good comparison? Population density would be an even better comparison.
Island, water. Shut down the airports and the ports. You're done. No virus coming in. Is this really rocket science?

And Alabama is an island and thus able to incredibly easily control migration? Not last I looked.

US is separated by water and Chinese or Italian tourists do not go to Alabama.

US is separated by water and Chinese or Italian tourists do not go to Alabama.
OK. You're arguing that the virus spontaneously sprung up in Alabama? Really? Or did people cross the border into Alabama bringing the virus with them? How was Alabama supposed to adopt New Zealand's model of border control?

that has to be the saddest commentary about this entire era. 800-1,000 American deaths in a day is getting BETTER.

And it's all Trump's fault because he did not issue a national mandate for everyone to wear masks, right?
By the way, what is a national mask mandate, anyway? Is that even legal? Would people gleefully follow it?

OK. You're arguing that the virus spontaneously sprung up in Alabama? Really? Or did people cross the border into Alabama bringing the virus with them? How was Alabama supposed to adopt New Zealand's model of border control?

Nope!

I am saying that NZ took effective measures to control the pandemic after the virus was detected there.
And the virus in both places came from outside.
Alabama does not control the US borders. Heck, it cannot even control its border since interstate travel is still controlled by feds ( recall air travel and FAA). The Feds controlled the US borders and they did close them. But they also downplayed the CV threat because they thought that the virus was just an illegal immigrant who could be controlled by a border wall. So, they failed to prepare the US population a to deal with the threat and now we see the US death rate above those of most developed nations of different sizes and geographic characteristics. And of course, red governors bought often the federal ratonale and were complicit in undermining the response within their state. This also undermined other states since domestic travelers from states wih loose or no measures could travel to states which chose to adopt more strict measures.

Last edited:
Nope!

I am saying that NZ took effective measures to control the pandemic after the virus was detected there.
And the virus in both places came from outside.
Alabama does not control the US borders. Heck, it cannot even control its border since interstate travel is still controlled by feds ( recall air travel and FAA). The Feds controlled the US borders and they did close them. But they also downplayed the CV threat because they thought that the virus was just an illegal immigrant who could be controlled by a border wall. So, they failed to prepare the US population a to deal with the threat and now we see the US death rate above those of most developed nations of different sizes and geographic characteristics. And of course, red governors bought often the federal ratonale and were complicit in undermining the response within their state. This also undermined other states since domestic travelers from states wih loose or no measures could travel to states which chose to adopt more strict measures.
You funny. Yesterday you were arguing that the US ****ed up by restricting travel from all of China rather than a select province. Today you are arguing that the US ****ed up by not entirely closing it's borders to all travel like New Zealand. Hell, seven months later you still cannot travel to New Zealand without express Gvt. permission.

But it's not 800-1000 deaths a day in the US. With a little luck for the Dem party, it could reach that again and possibly more. You'll have to check out worldometers.
I think you're hoping for 800-1000 deaths a day even more than I am!
i said in A day.

have you looked at the last two weeks. each day in the last two weeks?

And it's all Trump's fault because he did not issue a national mandate for everyone to wear masks, right?
no

much of it is his fault because he's sitting in the drivers seat when a pandemic hit and he lied and downplayed it and made it way worse that it needed to be.

go ask some local small business owners how they're doing now.

There are not however uniform high infections here, but infections that are new range from just a few to a somewhat higher number. We have systems to do what we do to fight fires as well, call other areas for more staff. So when others nail us for beds, we can get clear beds by stopping non urgent care and using said beds for urgent care.

If I was a Democrat, what I would focus on is what is happening to me locally, is your own area well prepared, do you have nurses and if not, why not?

Here in Idaho we really are pretty well off compared to states ran by Democrats.
Right now, Idaho is looking for places to take patients because their hospitals are filling up and dont have enough beds, PPE, and staff. They were showing Kootenai Hospital on the news.

And ID has had a 46% rise in cases in the last 2 weeks. Your state may have been behind the infection curve...but it's catching up fast.

Since you're not a Democrat...why arent you focusing on what is happening locally? Why is it happening?

Right now, Idaho is looking for places to take patients because their hospitals are filling up and dont have enough beds, PPE, and staff. They were showing Kootenai Hospital on the news.

And ID has had a 46% rise in cases in the last 2 weeks. Your state may have been behind the infection curve...but it's catching up fast.

Since you're not a Democrat...why arent you focusing on what is happening locally? Why is it happening?

Sorry but I have already posted the news on this for the forum. Doctors do not report what you allege. The worry is the not proper nurses. But we can bring them from other states too. We only have 54 patients in beds as of Saturday.

"Were rounding the curve." Now is that the first curve, second curve, third curve, or last curve Carrot Top?

Sorry but I have already posted the news on this for the forum. Doctors do not report what you allege. The worry is the not proper nurses. But we can bring them from other states too. We only have 54 patients in beds as of Saturday.
It was just on the news...can I see you links?

And what about your infection rate rising 46% in 2 weeks?

Not enough is being said about the long lasting after effects of the virus. People think when someone is released to home it is over when it is actually the beginning of a year long road to recovery.

And where have you ever seen me saying otherwise?

Are you following the way that the trend lines are CHANGING? I am.

The number of deaths per day has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not a disease is a "pandemic".
A pandemic is an epidemic occurring on a scale that crosses international boundaries, usually affecting people on a worldwide scale.[10] A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic because the disease is neither infectious nor contagious.​
[SOURCE]​

The Nazi murder camps killed approximately 15,000,000 people over approximately 5 years for an approximately daily death toll of 8,200. That did not constitute a "pandemic".
So, with the emotionalism removed that says approximate 0.1% will die - assuming the model that number comes from is dependable and accurate. As the saying goes "One death is too many, but . . . "

Should you be worried about that or those needing to be in a hospital. See earlier posts for the other articles. Such as starting with post #1.

It's your state and you are in the vulnerable category. I'm asking for your take on it.

Your state's medical experts seem to be concerned:

Interviews in the past week with hospital management and employees shared a theme: They wonder how much longer they can keep up with the demands of this coronavirus surge. They worry about the coming weeks and months, as case numbers climb and Idaho enters flu season. About 20% of the COVID-19 tests done by St. Luke’s for residents of Twin Falls, Jerome and Gooding counties are coming back positive.

From your link: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article246503890.html

It's your state and you are in the vulnerable category. I'm asking for your take on it.

After all my posts on this, figured you had read some of them.

Take as in how?

I will try to outguess what you are asking.

I am not worried. I know that even though I am in the high risk category, I protect myself and also as much protect others as possible.
I do not shop often. I buy what I need for probably a month with other stops for perishable goods. I make sure to stay clear of others.
I also use mail in deliveries.

After all my posts on this, figured you had read some of them.

Take as in how?

I will try to outguess what you are asking.

I am not worried. I know that even though I am in the high risk category, I protect myself and also as much protect others as possible.
I do not shop often. I buy what I need for probably a month with other stops for perishable goods. I make sure to stay clear of others.
I also use mail in deliveries.
So then my next comments, after my concern for your personal safety, is seeing that the virus is catching up to ID...do you still hold to your stance that CV really only spreads in 'blue' states?

Do YOU have any concerns for your fellow Idahoans?

You funny. Yesterday you were arguing that the US ****ed up by restricting travel from all of China rather than a select province. Today you are arguing that the US ****ed up by not entirely closing it's borders to all travel like New Zealand. Hell, seven months later you still cannot travel to New Zealand without express Gvt. permission.

The point I made is that a general Chinese travel ban was not what could protect the US from the virus (and data make this rather obvious now). And a closely related point is that nobody can reasonably speculate that if Biden was president and had refused to establish such a general Chinese travel plan, we would have worse results. My point was that measures taken inside the country were more important for the outcome of the pandemic.

The point I made is that a general Chinese travel ban was not what could protect the US from the virus (and data make this rather obvious now). And a closely related point is that nobody can reasonably speculate that if Biden was president and had refused to establish such a general Chinese travel plan, we would have worse results. My point was that measures taken inside the country were more important for the outcome of the pandemic.
Bullshit. Yesterday you criticised the President because you claimed his travel ban was overbroad for including all of China. Today you praise New Zealand because they shut down 100% of travel to their island. The only thing consistant in your "analysis" is your hatred of the administration. You have zero credibility. We're done. I'm tired of your Trump hating nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom