• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Army to Pay for Bigger Tits

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The New Yorker magazine reports in its July 26th edition that members of all four branches of the US military can get face-lifts, breast enlargements, liposuction and nose jobs for free – something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

"Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible," Bob Lyons, chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio told the magazine, which said soldiers needed the approval of their commanding officers to get the time off.

Between 2000 and 2003, military doctors performed 496 breast enlargements and 1361 liposuction surgeries on soldiers and their dependents, the magazine said.

The magazine quoted an Army spokeswoman as saying, "the surgeons have to have someone to practice on".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2979863a4560,00.html

That is tragic! :shock:

These surgeries would be outstanding for training reconstructive procedures, however, I take exception to liposuction being made available to servicemen.

Current regulations, for males, takes a ratio of neck and waste measurements to determine a the soldiers body fat percentage. This percentage is used when the soldiers weight is above regulatory limits. Body fat is used to prevent soldiers from getting kicked out of the military because they may happen to be over the weight limit but rather muscular.

Being fat does not mean that your fat cells have multiplied. Your fat cells have actually grown larger because they are storing energy. Liposuction removes fat cells from the system. A soldier can use liposuction to limit the size of their abdomen thereby cheating the body fat standards.

This would appear to be an easy solution for a career soldier dangerously close to being discharged because of a weight problem, however, there is considerable risk in the procedure. If the soldier has risky eating/excersizing habits, liposuction will only mask the problem and leaves other areas to pick up the slack for the lack in abdominal fat.

Just goes to show yah that brain cells come and go, but fat cells stay forever. I can see where Service personnel should get free surgeries to correct deformities caused in the line of duty, IE burn wounds, bullet holes etc. But to get an elective surgery to get rid of that bump on your nose, make your tits bigger, or your jaw line blockier. I guess as long as the government isn't paying for it from my tax dollars I won't get to upset about it. Just sounds kinda silly to me.

Back
Top Bottom