• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Army retains decorated Green Beret it planned to kick out over confronting Afghan

Mr. Invisible

A Man Without A Country
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
In a stunning reversal, the U.S. Army decided late Thursday to retain a decorated Green Beret it had planned to kick out after he physically confronted a local Afghan commander accused of raping a boy over the course of many days.

Sgt 1st Class Charles Martland, confirmed the Army's decision to retain him when reached by Fox News, who has been covering the story in depth for the past eight months and first broke the story of the Army's decision in August to kick out Martland over the incident, which occurred in northern Afghanistan in 2011.

Seems like SFC Martland is gonna stay in the Army! :)

Army retains decorated Green Beret it planned to kick out over confronting Afghan child rapist | Fox News

An undisciplined and violent thug deserved to be kicked out. He's not law enforcement, he's not a judge, and he's not the law. This kind of bad behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

So he should have shrugged and ignored the child rape?

An undisciplined and violent thug deserved to be kicked out. He's not law enforcement, he's not a judge, and he's not the law. This kind of bad behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

He was protecting a child from being sexually assaulted.

#RapistLivesMatter

So he should have shrugged and ignored the child rape?

He was protecting a child from being sexually assaulted.
He should have contacted law enforcement instead of engaging in vigilante justice. It's not his responsibility to enforce his own personal moral ethics on another country: it's far beyond his capacity as a soldier. This sets an unfortunate precedent for military vigilantism as long as the person getting beat up is perceived as deserving it.

He should have contacted law enforcement instead of engaging in vigilante justice. It's not his responsibility to enforce his own personal moral ethics on another country: it's far beyond his capacity as a soldier. This sets an unfortunate precedent for military vigilantism as long as the person getting beat up is perceived as deserving it.

What law enforcement? The ANP? They don't really have jurisdiction in regards to military personnel. The Afghan Army MPs? Are there such creatures in existence?

Personally, I'm very comfortable with imposing moral ethics to prevent ****ing child rape. I don't give a damn if the Afghans insist it's part of their culture---child rape is wrong. You don't see the Scandanvians laying waste to coastal settlements, and that was a big part of their culture at one point.

And if you don't think a guy who was raping a kid deserved to have the crap beaten out of him, there's nothing really to discuss. Child rape isn't okay, period. End of story.

What law enforcement? The ANP? They don't really have jurisdiction in regards to military personnel. The Afghan Army MPs? Are there such creatures in existence?

Personally, I'm very comfortable with imposing moral ethics to prevent ****ing child rape. I don't give a damn if the Afghans insist it's part of their culture---child rape is wrong. You don't see the Scandanvians laying waste to coastal settlements, and that was a big part of their culture at one point.

And if you don't think a guy who was raping a kid deserved to have the crap beaten out of him, there's nothing really to discuss. Child rape isn't okay, period. End of story.
He had a number of options available.
Aghan Law Enforcement.

Who said anything about child rape being ok? Burn that strawman to the ground.

Aghan Law Enforcement.

We have a lot of law here in the USA, and dialing 911 is a nice first step.

However, if you think I would stand by and merely dial 911 while observing a child being raped? Then you'd have another think coming.

I am going to take immediate action were it in NYC, some small town in mid-America, or some campground out in the wild.

AFTER I stopped the rape and secured the rapist, I would call the police. If I had to face some kind of inquiry as a result...so be it.

We have a lot of law here in the USA, and dialing 911 is a nice first step.

However, if you think I would stand by and merely dial 911 while observing a child being raped? Then you'd have another think coming.

I am going to take immediate action were it in NYC, some small town in mid-America, or some campground out in the wild.

AFTER I stopped the rape and secured the rapist, I would call the police. If I had to face some kind of inquiry as a result...so be it.

You're romanticizing what happened...
But his Army career changed course during his second deployment to Afghanistan in 2011. After learning an Afghan boy was raped and his mother beaten, Martland and his team leader confronted a local police commander they had trained, armed and paid with U.S. taxpayer dollars. When the man laughed off the incident, they physically confronted him.
He didn't burst down the door, and stop some rape that was in progress. A rape was reported, him and his goon decided to confront the alleged rapist. Again, no evidence that an actual rape took place. No evidence of their efforts to get the authorities involved. No, him and his buddy beat up the guy (and don't be fooled about him only "shoving" the Afghan).

Sort of reminds me of the disagreement between Pace and Rumsfeld......

Rumsfeld Pace | User Clip | C-SPAN.org

.....Asked whether US troops are responsible for preventing human rights abuses by Iraqi forces, General Pace answered: "It is absolutely the responsibility of every U.S. service member, if they see inhumane treatment being conducted, to intervene to stop it." As Pace elaborated, Rumsfeld interrupted him, saying: "But I don’t think you mean they have an obligation to physically stop it; it’s to report it." But General Pace replied: "If they are physically present when inhumane treatment is taking place, sir, they have an obligation to try to stop it", he said.....
DN!

:peace

Aghan Law Enforcement.

It's a nice article, but it still doesn't say anything about whether the ANP even has the authority to arrest someone on a military base. And that's the only option listed--- the Border Police and such are direct subordinate departments of the ANP.

Your the one who was complaining about the guy imposing his moral standards on another country.....

You're romanticizing what happened...

He didn't burst down the door, and stop some rape that was in progress. A rape was reported, him and his goon decided to confront the alleged rapist. Again, no evidence that an actual rape took place. No evidence of their efforts to get the authorities involved. No, him and his buddy beat up the guy (and don't be fooled about him only "shoving" the Afghan).

Why the hatred for someone doing good?

Why the hatred for someone doing good?

I don't hate the man, and I understand why he did it. However he's ultimately wrong in the same way that killing a rapist in this country is wrong. However this man is also in the military so he has to be held to a standard that makes it clear to other members of the military that you can't just beat the crap out of someone because they do something morally reprehensible. Our military needs people with discipline and this man lacks it.

I don't hate the man, and I understand why he did it. However he's ultimately wrong in the same way that killing a rapist in this country is wrong. However this man is also in the military so he has to be held to a standard that makes it clear to other members of the military that you can't just beat the crap out of someone because they do something morally reprehensible. Our military needs people with discipline and this man lacks it.

Respectfully disagree.

So you don't hate him but called him a thug and a goon. It sure sounds like you understand why he did it.
And frankly you have no idea the level of discipline required to do the job that man does. But it is nice to see you sitting here safe and sound on the US armchair QBing someone who actually cared dnough to stand up for a kid who was being raped.

Back
Top Bottom