• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arming Ukraine: 17,000 Anti-Tank Weapons in 6 Days and a Clandestine Cybercorps

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Biden Administration has been walking a razor thin line, giving as much hardware and intelligence as possible to Ukraine while avoiding running afoul of the old Cold War rules. For those who remember, this is essentially what the United States did in Afghanistan in order to repel the Soviet Union in the 80's.* I could be wrong since I had not yet been "politically aware" during that time, but I don't remember that assistance being so public. If that's the case, then I wonder if we're in new territory, since a lot of the support the United States is providing -- tactical and intelligence -- is the same type of support it would be giving to any NATO member. Plus, by making that assistance public, there's no type of plausible deniability the United States can invoke. I can only assume that a risk assessment was carried out before Biden signed off on this assistance, and that the risk was considered acceptable.

"In less than a week, the United States and NATO have pushed more than 17,000 antitank weapons, including Javelin missiles, over the borders of Poland and Romania, unloading them from giant military cargo planes so they can make the trip by land to Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital, and other major cities. So far, Russian forces have been so preoccupied in other parts of the country that they have not targeted the arms supply lines, but few think that can last.

But those are only the most visible contributions. Hidden away on bases around Eastern Europe, forces from United States Cyber Command known as “cybermission teams” are in place to interfere with Russia’s digital attacks and communications — but measuring their success rate is difficult, officials say.

In Washington and Germany, intelligence officials race to merge satellite photographs with electronic intercepts of Russian military units, strip them of hints of how they were gathered, and beam them to Ukrainian military units within an hour or two. As he tries to stay out of the hands of Russian forces in Kyiv, President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine travels with encrypted communications equipment, provided by the Americans, that can put him into a secure call with President Biden. Mr. Zelensky used it Saturday night for a 35-minute call with his American counterpart on what more the U.S. can do in its effort to keep Ukraine alive without entering into direct combat on the ground, in the air or in cyberspace with Russian forces."

*Contrary to some people's memories, a former Green Beret named John Rambo did not single handedly push the Soviets out of Afghanistan.

*Contrary to some people's memories, a former Green Beret named John Rambo did not single handedly push the Soviets out of Afghanistan.

He most certainly did, and he shouted "ADRIIIAAAAAAAAN!" the whole time he did it.

And some dude named Ivan Drago said "You will lose!"

He most certainly did, and he shouted "ADRIIIAAAAAAAAN!" the whole time he did it.

Damn. You shattered the 4th Wall, and another one, all in one sentence.

Three cheers for a more militarized world, more profits for the weapons supplier to the world, and for the Doomsday Clock being even closer to midnight.

Three cheers for a more militarized world, more profits for the weapons supplier to the world, and for the Doomsday Clock being even closer to midnight.

Speaking of "blah blah blah" - and there's not even a Rambo reference!

The people who run the Doomsday Clock have their own biases.

And why would supplying anti tank missiles which have already been paid for result in "more profits" for weapons suppliers?

The people who run the Doomsday Clock have their own biases.

And why would supplying anti tank missiles which have already been paid for result in "more profits" for weapons suppliers?

Would you like for the USG to do to Russia what you said you wanted them to do to China? Please refresh my memory about your China statement.

Would you like for the USG to do to Russia what you said you wanted them to do to China? Please refresh my memory about your China statement.
I don't recall any statements I've made about China on this particular forum.

“We must be the great arsenal of democracy. For us this is an emergency as serious as war itself. We must apply ourselves to our task with the same resolution, the same sense of urgency, the same spirit of patriotism and sacrifice, as we would show were we at war.” - FDR

Back
Top Bottom