• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Armed man 'opens fire at German cinema'

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ens-fire-at-german-cinema-kinopolis-viernheim

A masked man with a gun and ammunition belt opened fire in a cinema complex in the small western German town of Viernheim, near Frankfurt and barricaded himself inside, German media have reported.

Bild daily and the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported that elite police were on their way to the scene.

Armed man opens fire in German cinema complex, up to 50 hurt: media | Reuters

Bild daily and the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported that elite police were on their way to the scene.

The Darmstaedter Echo said 20 to 50 people had been injured.

He was in disguise, police are surrounding the cinema.

Gunman is dead.

Impossible! The gun laws are very restrictive there!!

I'll take their gun violence stats any day over ours. No comparison!

So comment is stupid.

I wonder what the motivation was for the shooting.

It only took three posts.

If the gun control idiots win their stupid fight over something that has only happened a hundred and twenty nine times in the last fifty years I better see mass shootings go down to zero.

The fact that I could lose my rights over something extremely rare is ****ing asinine.

I'll take their gun violence stats any day over ours. No comparison!

So comment is stupid.

The thing is that they started on liberalizing much later than the US and are following with a lag on many social indicators. This is true in a number of social areas from obesity to theft and robbery. Violence against persons is somewhat different, because of the social stigma attached for historical reasons. Nevertheless the number of school type shootings has been increasing and is expected to continue to do so. The frequency of various crimes this type being one have been trending upwards. You are only looking at the US two decades or more ago. So no, it is not a stupid comment, it is one that you might want to research the development of crime and other behavior lagging social change.

If the gun control idiots win their stupid fight over something that has only happened a hundred and twenty nine times in the last fifty years I better see mass shootings go down to zero.

The fact that I could lose my rights over something extremely rare is ****ing asinine.

According to the FBI, it's a mass shooting if there's 4 or more victims. Sound right to you?

Impossible! The gun laws are very restrictive there!!

They really aren't. German gun owners are just better than American gun owners at teaching their kids not shoot up places.

According to the FBI, it's a mass shooting if there's 4 or more victims. Sound right to you?

I should hope not. There have been 150 mass shootings so far this year. Also, 6,384 people are dead and 13,169 people have been injured in gun violence so far this year including 1,652 children. We pay a high price for radical interpretations of the second amendment.

They really aren't. German gun owners are just better than American gun owners at teaching their kids not shoot up places.

There is certainly something to that. The problem is that the they seem to be on a similar development path as the US only not quite as far along.

Then give me the right number. :shrug: I bet you the number still won't make it at all reasonable to ban or restrict anything.

I should hope not. There have been 150 mass shootings so far this year. Also, 6,384 people are dead and 13,169 people have been injured in gun violence so far this year including 1,652 children. We pay a high price for radical interpretations of the second amendment.

Wow, so a whole 150 mass shootings. That totally justifies taking peoples guns away.

Can you show me the links where your getting those numbers from, please.

How many of those deaths and injuries were caused by illegally owned guns? You can't just throw out a few numbers and see where they stick.

Then give me the right number. :shrug: I bet you the number still won't make it at all reasonable to ban or restrict anything.

I don't know it, and at this point it'd be like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube, fighting gun violence by banning guns in the US.
I still say you ought to have to pass a test showing that you know how they should be stored but that wouldn't affect assault, it just would try to address accidents.

I hope that is true.
Just in time to cause an effect on the Brexit vote today?

I shouldn't think so. We still don't know who or why he did it, but fears of immigrant invasions are whipped up against fellow Europeans, in the Brexit case, not "outsiders", despite the fact that there's more of them!

There is certainly something to that. The problem is that the they seem to be on a similar development path as the US only not quite as far along.

I seriously doubt there is any evidence to your last sentence. Gun shootings occur, the frequency at which they occur can be studied, I doubt they are following a similar path when they have little in common outside of them being shootings. In the US they occur because guns are seen as a solution to any problem including mental illness. I doubt the same sort of gun culture exists in Germany.

I seriously doubt there is any evidence to your last sentence...................~
The claim in that sentence constitutes in fact a load of rubbish. Born either from total ignorance of the US or of Germany, in all likelihood both.

You are correct that gun cultures do not compare. In fact Germany doesn't have one.

Back
Top Bottom