• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ark of the Covenant may be hidden in Africa, biblical scholars believe

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX News

Bible scholars believe the legendary Ark of the Covenant may have landed in Africa after it was taken out of Israel.

The Ark is said to be a gold-covered wooden chest containing two stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments – which Moses brought down from Mount Sinai – are written.

It is also said to contain other biblical items such as Aaron’s rod, which is thought to have magical powers.

Since it vanished there have been several theories as to where the Ark is now, including Mount Nebo in Israel, southern Africa, Ethiopia, Egypt and even several locations in Europe.

While the idea that the Ark was taken to Ethiopia is not new, there has been renewed interest after evidence was unearthed by the Bible Archaeology, Search & Exploration Institute (BASE).

COMMENT:-

Aside from the fact that the "evidence" comes from an unnamed source of unknown reliability and unknown connection with anyone known, and aside from the fact that BASE's actual response to the question "Have you really found it?" translates out to "Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, we don't know, all of the evidence isn't in yet, we're going to investigate, and maybe you'll hear from us about the results of the investigation (or maybe you won't)." this story is absolute **P*R*O*O*F** of something - although what that might be could be that FOX News is trying to capture the "I only read it while I'm standing in line at the supermarket" demographic.​

That little temple in Ethiopia has made that claim for decades.

This story is garbage... I have the Ark, well, we did... I took it apart to build our barn.

Why did the Indiana Jones theme music just pop into my head?

...this story is absolute **P*R*O*O*F** of something - although what that might be could be that FOX News is trying to capture the "I only read it while I'm standing in line at the supermarket" demographic.
"BASE" (aka Bob Cornuke) has made multiple false claims, including about the Ark, the location of Mount Sinai, Noah's Ark.... He is not credible. Period.

The article is just right-wing clickbait.

[SUP]From FOX News

Bible scholars believe the legendary Ark of the Covenant may have landed in Africa after it was taken out of Israel.

The Ark is said to be a gold-covered wooden chest containing two stone tablets on which the Ten Commandments – which Moses brought down from Mount Sinai – are written.

It is also said to contain other biblical items such as Aaron’s rod, which is thought to have magical powers.

Since it vanished there have been several theories as to where the Ark is now, including Mount Nebo in Israel, southern Africa, Ethiopia, Egypt and even several locations in Europe.

While the idea that the Ark was taken to Ethiopia is not new, there has been renewed interest after evidence was unearthed by the Bible Archaeology, Search & Exploration Institute (BASE).

Aside from the fact that the "evidence" comes from an unnamed source of unknown reliability and unknown connection with anyone known, and aside from the fact that BASE's actual response to the question "Have you really found it?" translates out to "Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, we don't know, all of the evidence isn't in yet, we're going to investigate, and maybe you'll hear from us about the results of the investigation (or maybe you won't)." this story is absolute **P*R*O*O*F** of something - although what that might be could be that FOX News is trying to capture the "I only read it while I'm standing in line at the supermarket" demographic.[/SUP]​
iLOL

Ron Wyatt claimed to have found it in 1982.

Isnt it in an Army warehouse somewhere in America? I remember us taking it from the Nazis after they melted when they opened it.

From FOX News

Aside from the fact that the "evidence" comes from an unnamed source of unknown reliability and unknown connection with anyone known, and aside from the fact that BASE's actual response to the question "Have you really found it?" translates out to "Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, we don't know, all of the evidence isn't in yet, we're going to investigate, and maybe you'll hear from us about the results of the investigation (or maybe you won't)." this story is absolute **P*R*O*O*F** of something - although what that might be could be that FOX News is trying to capture the "I only read it while I'm standing in line at the supermarket" demographic.​

Things like this surface every December, nothing comes of it , but it's brought up in the media again the next year.​

Isn't the Ark of the Covenant just a gigantic ancient capacitor?

From FOX News

I don't understand this obsession with finding it... can somebody explain this?​

I don't understand this obsession with finding it... can somebody explain this?

Added validation for ones religious beliefs. If the ark is real, then what was written in the OT would likely be real as well (at least regarding the parts that included the ark).

Also nearly every religion includes "relics" as part of the belief system. People have a tendency to want something physical to represent aspects of their beliefs. In Judaism it would be the most highly regarded relic I expect. It would be very high in Christianity, with only ones associated with Jesus being higher (see Shroud of Turin). Christianity went from not having any physical items to worship, to having the cross, now at least in RCC, the cross with Jesus on it being predominant in many churches. If the Ark was found, I would expect a mass pilgrimage of Jews, and Christians to the place it was stored. Along with a large spike for a few years of people attending religious services (christian and jew)

I believe that it is supposed to prove that the Jews were "God's Chosen People".

That, of course, changed when they were supplanted by the Christians.

That in turn, changed when they were supplanted by the Americans.

At least that's what some people believe.

Religious reasons aside, finding physical artifacts that support or refute claims made in ancient documents is ALWAYS going to be a goal of archeologists and historians.

Religious reasons aside, finding physical artifacts that support or refute claims made in ancient documents is ALWAYS going to be a goal of archeologists and historians.

IF what is found does not conform exactly with what was described, that will neither confirm nor refute the claim that it IS actually what was mis-described.

Back
Top Bottom