• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona voters approve medical marijuana measure

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN) -- By a narrow margin of about 4,300 votes, Arizona voters approved a ballot measure that would legalize medical marijuana, state election officials said Sunday.

With all precincts reporting, the "yes" votes on Proposition 203 have 50.1 percent of the vote to 49.8 percent of "no" votes, according to unofficial results posted on the Arizona Secretary of State's website. More than 1.6 million votes were cast.

They say that California is a leader, when it comes to voting initiatives. When they passed property tax reform, the rest of the nation soon followed. Now, it seems, the rest of the nation, in fits and starts, is beginning to follow California on another important issue, that of marijuana.

Yea, I know, I know, California is full of Liberals, but sometimes they get it right, and other states follow. Kudos, Californians, and kudos to you too, Arizona, for another victory against the War on Drugs and Reason, and for giving a big, fat, middle finger to Federal domination of an issue that is none of it's damn business.

Article is here

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. The federal government will keep doing its own thing regardless of state rights.

Very nice to see this pass. I never understood how you could vote against medical Marijuana. It's really upsetting to see people like John McCain, who has no medical experience, come out against it and say "vote no", when you have tons of medical professionals supporting the use of Marijuana to alleviate certain conditions.

Medical marijuana is foolish. There aren't any real benefits from Marijuana that you can't get from other drugs.

I, personally like my megapharma drugs with a touch of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

If it isnt coming out of both ends how could you tell it was working

I, personally like my megapharma drugs with a touch of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

So instead you'd rather get lung cancer which requires chemo to make you vomit? There are no real benefits that TCH brings that other's don't. Even so, they could synthesize it and put it in a pill form or possibly isolate it into a vapor free from the marijuana plant. This is nothing but back door legalization. I support democracy, but in my opinion the very minor majority of voters in AZ have voted foolishly. "medical" marijuana makes about as much sense as "medical" tobacco smoke.

They say that California is a leader, when it comes to voting initiatives. When they passed property tax reform, the rest of the nation soon followed. Now, it seems, the rest of the nation, in fits and starts, is beginning to follow California on another important issue, that of marijuana.

Yea, I know, I know, California is full of Liberals, but sometimes they get it right, and other states follow. Kudos, Californians, and kudos to you too, Arizona, for another victory against the War on Drugs and Reason, and for giving a big, fat, middle finger to Federal domination of an issue that is none of it's damn business.

Article is here

dude-wait-what.jpg

I have to disagree that its not a government issue to ban drugs. You legalize a drug you will increase the usage. Even San Franciso with all its liberalism shut down the pot shops because of the incredible abuse of the system.

So instead you'd rather get lung cancer which requires chemo to make you vomit? There are no real benefits that TCH brings that other's don't. Even so, they could synthesize it and put it in a pill form or possibly isolate it into a vapor free from the marijuana plant. This is nothing but back door legalization. I support democracy, but in my opinion the very minor majority of voters in AZ have voted foolishly. "medical" marijuana makes about as much sense as "medical" tobacco smoke.

A very excellent and important point about TCH.

First of all its THC, second it can be consumed through vaporisation or through ingestion in cooked goods. Also marijuana is not addictive like cigarettes and the amounts consumed are not comparable. They are incomparable as tobacco has no medical benefits either. And a pill form will never arrive without it being legal first. Also, whether increased consumption of marijuana is good or bad is subjective and based on your values. I see nothing wrong with increased usage. It's cigs that should be illegal.

Cannabis does not cause lung cancer. The AMA agrees, the British Medical Association agrees, and that's good enough for me.

I have clients that come to clinic who have chronic conditions and only cannabis has brought them relief, with minimal side effects.

There is more than enough medical evidence now to prove that it has benefits. People having been using it for thousands of years to that end. It has been propaganda, politics, and red tape that has prevented it from progressing back into medicine. You have no business telling people that it isn't medicine and they don't have the right to use it as such. Each individual has a different physical makeup and different treatment requirements; cannabis works for many, even if it doesn't work for you.

Cannabis does not cause lung cancer. The AMA agrees, the British Medical Association agrees, and that's good enough for me.

I have clients that come to clinic who have chronic conditions and only cannabis has brought them relief, with minimal side effects.

There is more than enough medical evidence now to prove that it has benefits. People having been using it for thousands of years to that end. It has been propaganda, politics, and red tape that has prevented it from progressing back into medicine. You have no business telling people that it isn't medicine and they don't have the right to use it as such. Each individual has a different physical makeup and different treatment requirements; cannabis works for many, even if it doesn't work for you.

Smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. A marijuana joint has 70% more carcinogens in it than a cigarette (and the cigarette has a filter). What conditions does cannabis cure? Why not give them something not harmful or illegal? Cannabis impairs brain function and also alters the brain chemistry. Have you studied medicine? There are many other medications out there specialized to treat conditions. I have every right to tell people their drug is not "medicine." Why should I, as a pre-pharmacy student, not have the right to a medical opinion? Like I said, this is just a back door way to try and legalize something harmful.

First of all its THC, second it can be consumed through vaporisation or through ingestion in cooked goods. Also marijuana is not addictive like cigarettes and the amounts consumed are not comparable. They are incomparable as tobacco has no medical benefits either. And a pill form will never arrive without it being legal first. Also, whether increased consumption of marijuana is good or bad is subjective and based on your values. I see nothing wrong with increased usage. It's cigs that should be illegal.

Marijuana may not be chemically addictive, but it can be mentally addictive. Like I said previously. Intaking THC alters brain chemistry. It also causes the brain to place more cannabinoid receptors on the cell membranes requiring a higher dosage to get high. It is comparable to tobacco, as marijuana has 70% more carcinogens and no filters. I could easily argue that tobacco releases "stress" and tension as many who smoke it claim it relieves such things. Heck, I used to smoke because of stress and it helped. Marijuana alters brain chemistry, it impairs brain function, and it's an unhealthy substance. I see no good reason behind legalizing it.

Smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. A marijuana joint has 70% more carcinogens in it than a cigarette (and the cigarette has a filter)

Source that one plz...
I wasn't aware marijuana had any carcinogens naturally and those it does have are a result of the burning of plant matter.

Medical marijuana is foolish. There aren't any real benefits from Marijuana that you can't get from other drugs.

I can think of one benefit, you can grow your own. Can't get any cheaper than that...

dude-wait-what.jpg

I have to disagree that its not a government issue to ban drugs. You legalize a drug you will increase the usage. Even San Franciso with all its liberalism shut down the pot shops because of the incredible abuse of the system.

And that was up to San Francisco, not the Federal government. Show me where, in the Constitution, that the Federal government is allowed to have the kind of sweeping power over the states, in regard to marijuana. If any other state, say, Texas, for instance, wants to keep it a crime, it is up to them. If California and Arizona want a certain level of legalization, then it is up to them. 10th Amendment, and all that. Real Conservatism is allowing California to be California and Texas to be Texas, without interfering in the affairs of those states, or any other state, for that matter.

Here is what grinds my ass about some who call them Conservatives. They talk a good game, and on some fronts, they are spot on, but on other fronts, they might as well be Democrats.

1) On spending and balanced budgets, they are, for the most part, consistent with Conservatism.

2) However, on the issue of "Nanny Federal Government", they are the antitheses of Conservatism.

As I have always stated, the term "Social Conservative" is an oxymoron.

Last edited:
Smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. A marijuana joint has 70% more carcinogens in it than a cigarette (and the cigarette has a filter). What conditions does cannabis cure? Why not give them something not harmful or illegal? Cannabis impairs brain function and also alters the brain chemistry. Have you studied medicine? There are many other medications out there specialized to treat conditions. I have every right to tell people their drug is not "medicine." Why should I, as a pre-pharmacy student, not have the right to a medical opinion? Like I said, this is just a back door way to try and legalize something harmful.

Medical cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This basically summarizes the latest research. Practically all studies that say marijuana causes lung cancer failed to isolate tobacco smokers from the population samples. Smoking cannabis in conjunction with cigarettes increases cancer risk because it increases the amount of time that the carcinogenic materials of commercial tobacco remain in contact with the lung tissue. Cannabis by itself, however, does not cause cancer; in fact, THC is a strong anti-oxidant and it tends to protect tissues from chemical mutation.

Furthermore, many medical marijuana users vaporize their medicine. If the U.S. would lift its draconian laws on cannabis, the manufacturing sector would be able to make cheaper vaporizers more available to everyone, and thus decrease effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

If alcohol is legal, cannabis should be legal too, period. It is not physically addictive though it is habit forming. And to that I say, so what? Some people have a beer after work, some people have a toke. No one gets violent or belligerent on cannabis as drinkers do. Cannabis does not erode your liver or damage brain tissue if you use it excessively. It's essentially impossible to overdose on cannabis, unlike alcohol; and while scientists have been studying alcohol with a fine tooth comb to look for justifiable health benefits, the benefits of cannabis are widely known.

You have no business telling people they can't smoke it, especially given that it's a plant native to this continent. It was here before the white man was, just like tobacco. Reefer Madness saw it exterminated in the wild, but the fact remains. It is medicine for many - and that's on scientific grounds, not personal anecdotes - and you have no business telling people how to choose their own medicine.

Last edited:
lol DrugAbuse.gov ...

I found a comparison study through a smoking machine done in canada through the network that shows marijuana to tobacco having a less than 1.0 ratio of PAH analytes under different smoking conditions. My only knowledge of what a PAH anylate is comes from wiki. Also it seems that there is more ammonia than in tobacco smoke. With my limited knowledge id say results are look mixed. But I dont study this kind of stuff.

A Comparison of Mainstream and Sidestream Marijuana and Tobacco Cigarette Smoke Produced under Two Machine Smoking Conditions - Chemical Research in Toxicology (ACS Publications)

I dont know I can't say either way. Also, a vaporiser doesnt burn plant matter and vaporises the THC. Problem solved. :shrug:

texmaster said:
I have to disagree that its not a government issue to ban drugs. You legalize a drug you will increase the usage.

Fortunately, you theory has been tested, and it is completely wrong. Portugal has had petty drug offenses decriminalized for years now - and that's all drugs, not just cannabis - and it has seen a dramatic decrease in use. Not only that, the spread of HIV has also been slowed greatly since decriminalization means greater openness toward harm reduction.

In the U.S., drug use of any kind equals retribution. If you are a heroin addict with an infection in your arm and you go into the hospital, if it's confirmed you have the injury due to heroin use, you could be charged. That increases harm to drug users because many will be reluctant to seek treatment, and will in turn spread disease.

I cannot think of any aspect of U.S. DEA policy that is helping your country, except for maybe creating jobs in law enforcement. That's it. It's not solving anything. It is fighting a non-stop, uphill battle that is achieving nothing and wasting billions of dollars annually in the process.

26 people died at the Mexican border last month due to cannabis trafficking. There are people being shot to death over a PLANT. When is this madness going to stop?

The amount of misinformation people are putting out in this thread is making my head hurt! I'll save myself some time, everything Orion has said is spot on.

There is nothing I hate more than someone yelling about and supporting one right while willing to get rid of another right at the same time. It makes you a big fat hypocrite:roll:

Good for Arizona! I think grown adults should be able to drink, smoke cigs and weed as much as they want.

There is nothing I hate more than someone yelling about and supporting one right while willing to get rid of another right at the same time. It makes you a big fat hypocrite:roll:

Good for Arizona! I think grown adults should be able to drink, smoke cigs and weed as much as they want.

Why? Cigs cause a huge amount of dmg to society in expenses and pain. I don't think people should be free to cause splash-over damage and expenses to others in society.

Why? Cigs cause a huge amount of dmg to society in expenses and pain. I don't think people should be free to cause splash-over damage and expenses to others in society.

So you wanna outlaw everything that causes expenses and pain? I hope you are eating a really healthy diet! Do you think we should outlaw any and all foods that can or may cause problems for the folks ingesting them?

You know I may not like your driving somewhere today as you may get into a wreck and kill someone. Please do NOT drive today. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom