• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona voters approve medical marijuana measure

So you wanna outlaw everything that causes expenses and pain? I hope you are eating a really healthy diet! Do you think we should outlaw any and all foods that can or may cause problems for the folks ingesting them?

You know I may not like your driving somewhere today as you may get into a wreck and kill someone. Please do NOT drive today. Thanks!

Yes, if McDonalds and other chains want to place chemicals into food that cause health problems in the long term... sure. Outlaw them. It will just force them to find healthier solutions. :shrug:

Fortunately, you theory has been tested, and it is completely wrong. Portugal has had petty drug offenses decriminalized for years now - and that's all drugs, not just cannabis - and it has seen a dramatic decrease in use. Not only that, the spread of HIV has also been slowed greatly since decriminalization means greater openness toward harm reduction.

Source for this claim please.

In the U.S., drug use of any kind equals retribution. If you are a heroin addict with an infection in your arm and you go into the hospital, if it's confirmed you have the injury due to heroin use, you could be charged. That increases harm to drug users because many will be reluctant to seek treatment, and will in turn spread disease.

Incorrect. The only type of injury that is reported to the cops are those of gunshot wounds and stabbing wounds. Anything else that is found out (like heroin use) is incidental and is only used when the other two have been reported. Other than those everything else is protected by privacy laws. So if you have an infection in your arm due to heroin the doctors have to legally keep it to themselves and the patient. In fact it would get them disbarred from medical practice if they were to tell anyone else without the patients permission.

It is misinformation of the type that you just stated that leads to drug users being reluctant to seek medical help when needed.

I cannot think of any aspect of U.S. DEA policy that is helping your country, except for maybe creating jobs in law enforcement. That's it. It's not solving anything. It is fighting a non-stop, uphill battle that is achieving nothing and wasting billions of dollars annually in the process.

It's keeping thousands of criminals off the streets. You know the type that breaks into peoples homes, possibly killing them, in order to keep up their drug habit?

26 people died at the Mexican border last month due to cannabis trafficking. There are people being shot to death over a PLANT. When is this madness going to stop?

This just shows the lengths people will go to in order to keep up their habit. This plant just caused the death of 26 people at that time. How many others have died so that people can keep up their habit of smoking pot?

Marijuana may not be chemically addictive, but it can be mentally addictive. Like I said previously. Intaking THC alters brain chemistry. It also causes the brain to place more cannabinoid receptors on the cell membranes requiring a higher dosage to get high.

Speaking as someone who has smoked in the past, I was able to quit time and again for one reason or another. It might have taken a short period of weening myself off (more just to say our goodbyes, lol), but I had no negative side effects from quitting. And I know many people who have been able to quit purely through personal will power; without the need for an intervention or counseling.

The key part of your statement is "can be addictive". Just like alcohol "can be addictive" for some people. It completely depends on the person. But cannabis has been rated as less addictive than alcohol, tobacco, and even caffeine. This is no reason to keep cannabis illegal.

Last edited:
I support democracy, but in my opinion the very minor majority of voters in AZ have voted foolishly. "medical" marijuana makes about as much sense as "medical" tobacco smoke.

So its insensible to have medical marijuana but it's totally sensible to persecute those who possess it.

Even San Franciso with all its liberalism shut down the pot shops because of the incredible abuse of the system.

Shut down the system(whatever that is) and keep the shops open.

Good first step but there is work to do to bring sanity back.

Most people don't know that POT was banned for economic reasons and the William Randolph Hearst publishing helped fuel the lies.

Hearst hated Mexicans, he was invested the lumber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn’t want the development of hemp paper in competition. He had lost 800,000 acres of timberland to Pancho Villa, so he hated Mexicans. Last, telling awful lies about Mexicans and the use of marijuana causing violence sold newspapers, making him rich.

If people knew the truth the fight to legalize POT would be over in minutes. Everything we were told as kids was a lie and that is why in the 60s all drug use went way up. When young people find they were lied to about one thing they figure it's all lies.

This is the worste propaganda film of all time but we were told in High School it was like a documentary, and they told us with a straight face.
Watch a few minutes and you'll see how bad the lies were then and most continue to this very day. Like the big lie that it's a Gate way drug. Nonsense. There is one thing that every user of hard drugs was hooked on early in life and this is true of every single user of hard drugs. They all were started on milk.

Medical marijuana is foolish. There aren't any real benefits from Marijuana that you can't get from other drugs.

Oh....the irony in this post. Yes....let me take harder narcotic drugs to deal with issues that simple marijuana can address.

Oh....the irony in this post. Yes....let me take harder narcotic drugs to deal with issues that simple marijuana can address.

Actually you are very wrong. People with Cancer undergoing Chemo can benefit greatly by the use of pot to help with appetite, People with glaucoma also benefit to the point their sight is saved through the use of pot.

Yes there are some other man made drugs that do the same thing but all people can't take some of there drugs for various reasons.

You should try to be careful about blanket statements when you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't use pot for medical or recreational purposes but I used it way back in the 60s and 70s and I know the effects. I also have a best friend who's wife is an RN who has worked in Hospice for years and we have talked extensively about this, so I know it works for some people where other things may not work.

Actually you are very wrong. People with Cancer undergoing Chemo can benefit greatly by the use of pot to help with appetite, People with glaucoma also benefit to the point their sight is saved through the use of pot.

Yes there are some other man made drugs that do the same thing but all people can't take some of there drugs for various reasons.

You should try to be careful about blanket statements when you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't use pot for medical or recreational purposes but I used it way back in the 60s and 70s and I know the effects. I also have a best friend who's wife is an RN who has worked in Hospice for years and we have talked extensively about this, so I know it works for some people where other things may not work.

I wrote this wrong and should have agreed with the post. My bad.

First of all its THC, second it can be consumed through vaporisation or through ingestion in cooked goods. Also marijuana is not addictive like cigarettes and the amounts consumed are not comparable. They are incomparable as tobacco has no medical benefits either. And a pill form will never arrive without it being legal first. Also, whether increased consumption of marijuana is good or bad is subjective and based on your values. I see nothing wrong with increased usage. It's cigs that should be illegal.

I disagree. It's people who want to ban something, because they think they are doing it for our own good, that should be illegal.

If weed was good enough for our forefathers, it is good enough for me. What's wrong with government these days? It has become anti-American, and our forefathers are rolling in their graves..... Well, actually, they are stumbling around like hell, but still rolling. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I disagree. It's people who want to ban something, because they think they are doing it for our own good, that should be illegal.

If weed was good enough for our forefathers, it is good enough for me. What's wrong with government these days? It has become anti-American, and our forefathers are rolling in their graves..... Well, actually, they are stumbling around like hell, but still rolling. :mrgreen:

What is wrong with government these days? I would have to say Christian groups that want to censor/limit everything.

Back
Top Bottom