• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Arizona Style' Immigration Law Proposed in Texas

Hmmm....

I have been driving for almost 40 years & have driven in or through about 30 different states. I have yet to be pulled over for going at or under the limit.

Just lucky I guess.;)

Same here, neither I nor anyone I know, and I know a lot of people spread across this country, people of many different ages, genders and races, and *NOBODY* I know has ever been pulled over for going at or under the speed limit. Certainly, if you are going slow enough to be a hazard, such as doing 10MPH on the freeway, you deserve to be pulled over, but otherwise, I go back to my original assessment: paranoid.

You guys can point and snicker all you want, that's fine. You simply haven't seen what I've seen, that's all.

A while back, I was driving home from work at 2am on a Saturday. I had been working since Friday morning on a big project, and I was ready for bed. If I had used my brain I would've taken the back roads, but I just wanted to sleep, so I took the highway.

One second I was alone on the open road, and the next a Sheriff's deputy rocketed up behind me with everything flashing and blaring. I pull over, and after making me wait a couple of minutes the deputy asks for me paperwork and explains that he saw me brush the yellow line. I then proceed to get interrogated about what I'm up to and where I'm going at that hour, and so on.

After a good 20 minutes after he first appeared in my rear view, the deputy admitted that the reason he pulled me over was that he was hunting for drunks, and since the bars just closed, he was checking me out.

I asked him if I had, in fact, done anything to precipitate being pulled over, and he confirmed that I had not -- but that if I was drunk, I'd have a hell of a time arguing that in court, right?

I don't hate police officers. I come from a cop family, so I know full well they've got a toolbox full of dirty tricks that they use on a nightly basis. They swear up and down that they don't have quotas, and I'm sure that in the explicit sense that's literally true, but there are many jurisdictions and departments in which the foot soldiers are expected to "generate revenue" in order to justify their continued employment. "Numbers squads," small groups of elite officers who focus their efforts on high volumes of low-level busts, are regularly employed to run up statistics and justify requests for funding, equipment and additional manpower.

The fact of the matter is that the only way to safeguard your privacy is to limit the number of tools in the law enforcer's arsenal. It's not that the law enforcer is a bad person, it's that they're expected to use every single tool they've got -- not just to keep the community safe, but to secure influence and funding sufficient to protect the payroll.

You guys can point and snicker all you want, that's fine. You simply haven't seen what I've seen, that's all.

Don't count on it. I wore a badge back in the dark ages, so I have seen it from both sides. I may not have your personal experiences, but I am sure I have seen a lot that was similar. Just remember, there are two sides to almost every story.

A while back, I was driving home from work at 2am on a Saturday. I had been working since Friday morning on a big project, and I was ready for bed. If I had used my brain I would've taken the back roads, but I just wanted to sleep, so I took the highway.

One second I was alone on the open road, and the next a Sheriff's deputy rocketed up behind me with everything flashing and blaring. I pull over, and after making me wait a couple of minutes the deputy asks for me paperwork and explains that he saw me brush the yellow line. I then proceed to get interrogated about what I'm up to and where I'm going at that hour, and so on.
So you admit that you were impaired, just by fatigue instead of alcohol?

After a good 20 minutes after he first appeared in my rear view, the deputy admitted that the reason he pulled me over was that he was hunting for drunks, and since the bars just closed, he was checking me out.
20 minutes? I assume you mean you were stopped that long since you said he came out of nowhere.
Hmmm... A good officer will decide whether to sobrioty test you in less than one. The longer a traffic stop lasts, the more danger he puts himself into. While talking to you, he risks a drunk being attracted to the flashing lights on his car & killing either him, you, or both. (Flashing lights for some reason attract the attention of drunk drivers & they tend to run into them.)

I asked him if I had, in fact, done anything to precipitate being pulled over, and he confirmed that I had not -- but that if I was drunk, I'd have a hell of a time arguing that in court, right?
I thought you had brushed the yellow line? That is a legitimate reason to suspect drunkenness that time of night.
You realize that if he had not checked you out, and you in fact had been drinking, resulting in an accident, he could have been subject not only to departmental discipline, but civil liability as well? (I have seen this happen.) It is his responsibility to check you out.

I had a similar experience about 5 years after turning in my Deputy's badge. I was working 2nd shift & putting in about 70 hours a week with a 35 mile commute. The trooper, whom I did not know, (& did not inform that I had once been a cop), figured out I was just tired (after about a minute), followed me to the next services & bought me a cup of coffee. I am certain that if I had been belligerent instead of polite, my experience would have been less pleasant.

I don't hate police officers. I come from a cop family, so I know full well they've got a toolbox full of dirty tricks that they use on a nightly basis. They swear up and down that they don't have quotas, and I'm sure that in the explicit sense that's literally true, but there are many jurisdictions and departments in which the foot soldiers are expected to "generate revenue" in order to justify their continued employment. "Numbers squads," small groups of elite officers who focus their efforts on high volumes of low-level busts, are regularly employed to run up statistics and justify requests for funding, equipment and additional manpower.
I don't know about regularly, but as in any profession there are bad apples, some of them in positions of authority. Any number of bad things happen then.

The fact of the matter is that the only way to safeguard your privacy is to limit the number of tools in the law enforcer's arsenal. It's not that the law enforcer is a bad person, it's that they're expected to use every single tool they've got -- not just to keep the community safe, but to secure influence and funding sufficient to protect the payroll.
Just how does checking legal status of aliens enhance funding? Uncle is not willing to put any funds out to people who are doing a job they would rather not have done.
With the much higher crime rate in the illegal community than in other communities of similar socio-economic circumstances, sending illegals home does help make communities safer.
As to limiting his tools, most (if not all) of them are to enhance his ability to keep the community safe. By limiting them, you hamper his ability to do so.
Do I agree with all police practices? No.
Are there some bad eggs out there that need tethered or fired? Yes.
Should we hamper the good ones because of this, for the most part I say no. As long as the Probable cause portion of the 4th amendment is not being violated, I do not have a problem with officers doing their job.
When that line is crossed, the officer or department responsible needs to be dealt with, case by case.

BTW, I still wonder, did your state require you to prove legal residency status when you got your license? If so, did it piss you off this bad?

Last edited:

How about just follow the law? Keep your vehicle and yourself properly licensed and insured. Insure that everything works properly. Do not break the law.

In the last 5 years, I have been pulled over exactly once. And that was for a burned out license plate light. I was respectfull to the cop, and he just gave me a "Equipment Notice" and tole me to get it fixed. And Equipment Notice is simply a piece of paper giving the fault and time and date. Not even a fix-it ticket, it is so if I am pulled over again within the next day or so, I could show it to the next cop so they know I am aware of the defect.

In my experience, most people that get serious problems with cops tend to deserve it.

YouTube - Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police!

How about just follow the law? Keep your vehicle and yourself properly licensed and insured. Insure that everything works properly. Do not break the law.

In the last 5 years, I have been pulled over exactly once. And that was for a burned out license plate light. I was respectfull to the cop, and he just gave me a "Equipment Notice" and tole me to get it fixed. And Equipment Notice is simply a piece of paper giving the fault and time and date. Not even a fix-it ticket, it is so if I am pulled over again within the next day or so, I could show it to the next cop so they know I am aware of the defect.

In my experience, most people that get serious problems with cops tend to deserve it.

YouTube - Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police!

Love that clip! I had forgotten how funny he could be.

Hopefully they are successful in implementing this. Although Texas probably has as many pro-illegals scumbag in office as California does,so I will be surprised if Texas does decided to crack down on illegal immigration.
Texas doesn't approve of mandatory racial profiling. It has a large, law-abiding, tax-paying, voting, legal, Hispanic community.

Therefore, Texas wont support this kind of stupid, ignorant, half-baked approach to law enforcement.

I think Utah now requires proof of citizenship....

Texas doesn't approve of mandatory racial profiling. It has a large, law-abiding, tax-paying, voting, legal, Hispanic community.

Therefore, Texas wont support this kind of stupid, ignorant, half-baked approach to law enforcement.
Who does mandatory racial profiling?

I don't know any illegals, but I do know several hispanics in AZ who want the illegals gone....of course, the ones I know are very educated, engineers in fact. Illegals are no threat to THEIR jobs...one would think that the lesser edcuated, unskilled, and semi-skilled Americans of Hispanic descent would want the illegals gone, so they can have better access to the jobs the illegals take...

When I worked in Dallas I knew a lot of law abiding Hispanic US citizens. They did not like the illegal situation either. Many of them would support this law.

To say all Hispanic citizens support illegal's just because they are Hispanic is a pretty prejudiced and narrow minded view. Hispanics are as diverse a group of individuals as any other in our great republic.

When I worked in Dallas I knew a lot of law abiding Hispanic US citizens. They did not like the illegal situation either. Many of them would support this law.

To say all Hispanic citizens support illegal's just because they are Hispanic is a pretty prejudiced and narrow minded view. Hispanics are as diverse a group of individuals as any other in our great republic.

I don't know a single Hispanic American who supports illegals, but all of the ones I know that were born outside of the U.S. went the legal route and became legal citizens the proper way. They cared enough to do it the right way, they expect everyone else to do so as well.

Neither does AZ. Ever watched a news clip of illegals crossing the Mexican border? How would you describe the illegals? It is pure spin to use the race profile card just because you don't like the proposed law. Police are not to just stop anyone. they have to have a legal reason to do so, and then they have to have enough to suspect the person may be illegal in the US. It will eventually end up for the SC to decide. By the time it gets there, I would bet more States will have passed illegal immigration laws.

Do you know who I am. Who did I ever call a racist? Cept bicycleguy hes a racist. Freakout elsewhere please.

Now that youre done freaking out, Let me begin.

You are a r****t by conclusion who would support the expansion of government, prisons, policing, at the expense of your government and people's coffers with no consideration for the consequences on legal immigrants of the color in question. You would never support such an expansion of policing and government for any other purpose with such a disregard for the rights of law abiding citizens in any other situation. Your approval of parties with conflict of interest of the people the law intends to represent fundamentally undermines any legitimacy to whatever government you envision.

Now that Im done.

Doesnt seem so bad I'll read into it.

But wait it may be stupid. :shrug:

Dunno....

I know who you are. You're a William & Mary leftwinger, famous for their leftwingers. I know, I live down the road. You think illegal immigrants are law abiding citizens. You'll say anything to protect these lawbreakers. Now run along and freakout elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom