• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Looks Like Good Ole Sherriff Joe will have his people carry AR15's. I think Joe was just a little bit ticked that one of his Deputies was Killed. Do you like the part that he gets the coverage and then That Governor and Him just keep pushing things Right back in Obama's Face? I like his thinking on the issue. Course he need to understand that if he and the Good Ole Boys gets to carry them. So to then the rest of the Citizenry. Should they chose to do so. Most cops that are undercover carry a piece all the time anyways.

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty.....

Controversial Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced that he is arming his deputies with AR-15 style rifles and ordering the deputies to carry weapons even when they are off duty.
Local Phoenix affiliate Fox10 reports that Arpaio said the new rifles are essential to help local police combat criminals who are using increasingly powerful weaponry.

But the news that he is requiring the deputies to be armed and essentially on duty at all times is noteworthy.

"My deputies will carry guns 24 hours a day, even off duty. If they see any incident occurring, they will take action anywhere in this valley," he said.

Local affiliate ABC15 reports that the deputies will be required to carry only a handgun at all times, meaning they will have to employ the AR-15 style rifles only while on duty.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/-arizona-sher...main-armed-even-when-off-duty--200405230.html

Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty...

Considering all the illegal activity his guys have to deal with, good for him. Hope it leads to removing more scum off the earth when it's called for.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty...

Considering all the illegal activity his guys have to deal with, good for him. Hope it leads to removing more scum off the earth when it's called for.

DITTO! Good on Sheriff Joe.

He's a littel behind the times though...IIRC most Texas LEOs have them in the trunk. Here's proof>>>>>

0820091twinpeaks1a.jpg

Will a LEO chime in please.

Don't all LEOs carry when off duty? I thought they did or is it optional?

Will a LEO chime in please.

Don't all LEOs carry when off duty? I thought they did or is it optional?

Optional in my county, it seems.

I have been ragging on the Sheriff himself, an old friend, for several years to carry off duty, but he has not yet done it.

ETA- As for Arpaio, he is a publicity-seeking moron.

Sheriff Arpaio may be one of the best law enforcement officers in America today but I think he should go the whole nine yards.

His deputies should be issued fully automatic M-16's, M-4's, .45 ACP Thompson sub machineguns with 50 round drum magazines and 40 mm M-79 grenade launchers.

Optional in my county, it seems.

I have been ragging on the Sheriff himself, an old friend, for several years to carry off duty, but he has not yet done it.

ETA- As for Arpaio, he is a publicity-seeking moron.

He doesn't mind the camera but he's no moron. I've met him a few times and he's both very personable and very knowledgeable about law enforcement. He's one of those rare breed of public official that could really care less about the politics of his position. He has a job to do and he does it to the best of his ability.

Looks Like Good Ole Sherriff Joe will have his people carry AR15's. I think Joe was just a little bit ticked that one of his Deputies was Killed. Do you like the part that he gets the coverage and then That Governor and Him just keep pushing things Right back in Obama's Face? I like his thinking on the issue. Course he need to understand that if he and the Good Ole Boys gets to carry them. So to then the rest of the Citizenry. Should they chose to do so. Most cops that are undercover carry a piece all the time anyways.

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty.....

Controversial Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced that he is arming his deputies with AR-15 style rifles and ordering the deputies to carry weapons even when they are off duty.
Local Phoenix affiliate Fox10 reports that Arpaio said the new rifles are essential to help local police combat criminals who are using increasingly powerful weaponry.

But the news that he is requiring the deputies to be armed and essentially on duty at all times is noteworthy.

"My deputies will carry guns 24 hours a day, even off duty. If they see any incident occurring, they will take action anywhere in this valley," he said.

Local affiliate ABC15 reports that the deputies will be required to carry only a handgun at all times, meaning they will have to employ the AR-15 style rifles only while on duty.....snip~

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty
Why are they being called "AR-15 style"? The rifle isn't styled after an AR15, it is an AR15.

Dumbasses.

He doesn't mind the camera but he's no moron. I've met him a few times and he's both very personable and very knowledgeable about law enforcement. He's one of those rare breed of public official that could really care less about the politics of his position. He has a job to do and he does it to the best of his ability.

I concur Lutherf.

I only met Sheriff Arpaio once some years ago when he spoke at an event in Orange County and got to shake his hands and the only conversation we had was I telling him that he was doing an excellent job as Sheriff in Maricopa County and how I wish the city of Los Angeles would hire him to be the Chief of LAPD. We here behind the Orange Curtain are tired of the scum from L.A. bringing their crime, gangs and graffiti to Orange County. It's already turned parts of Orange County north of I-405 blue. We had to move the Orange Curtain from the L.A. - Orange County line to the I-405.

Sheriff Arpaio is one of the few elected officials who has upheld the oath of office he took. There are many other elected Sheriffs in America who also took the oath of office seriously and defend the Constitution and enforce the laws of the land both state and federal. That's what county sheriffs are suppose to do.

Just about fifteen minutes before Sheriff Arpaio announced to the citizens of Marcopa County that one of his deputies was murdered and would also be issuing semi-auto weapons to his deputies he was on the radio on KFI in L.A. to discus that the liberal federal courts have ordered California's Governor to release another 10,000 convicted felons on to the streets from it's state prisons do to over crowding. The libs in California would rather release rapist, pedophiles, burglars, dog sodomizers, gang bangers back on to the streets instead of building more prisons.

Arpaio said he sent a letter to Gov. Brown (D with a big L) telling him he has extra pink underwear and room at his "tent city" prison for about a thousand of California's felons. But he also suggested to Gov. Moonbeam that the way to go is like how he did it in Maricopa County, tents. Sheriff Arpaio also said he's willing to send some of his deputies to California and show them how it's done. That California has a lot of desert and the U.S. military has a lot of surplus tents. If American soldiers and Marines can live in tents so can felons.

Right now California spends $60,000 per year for each convict doing time in it's prisons. Most states spend half as much. Sheriff Arpaio said it cost him $1. per day to feed each prisoner at his tent prison. And the way his tent city prison is set up, it takes very few officer for security. Fences work especially when they are electrified.

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when off duty

I dated a copper briefly . . . he was a reeeal interesting fellow. When he was off duty, he was always armed. When he sat in a restaurant, he sat in the corner where he could survey the room. He always figured he could be a target. Frankly, I think he was right.

So, for all of this effort, here is how much good it does:roll:
Screen shot 2013-08-10 at 4.06.04 PM.jpg

...and this is from realtors who want to look as appealing as possible.

He's a littel behind the times though...IIRC most Texas LEOs have them in the trunk. Here's proof>>>>>

0820091twinpeaks1a.jpg

She can handle my gun anytime. :gunsmilie:devil:

Why are they being called "AR-15 style"? The rifle isn't styled after an AR15, it is an AR15.

Dumbasses.

Could be they weren't manufactured by Colt. Only Colt manufactures the AR-15. Seems like just about every arms manufacture in America is producing a rifle based upon the AR-15.

BTW: The AR in AR-15 means Armalite, the original manufacture of the AR-15.

View attachment 67151870

Just FYI, Realtors don't pull crime data. ;)

Edit: I'm not sure what this shows -- don't quite understand it -- BUT if it shows crime?? Then perhaps we can understand the sheriff's concern.

Dumbasses.

Yep the AR-15 is an M-16 styled weapon.

AR15

ar15.jpg

M16

m16.jpg

Sheriff Arpaio may be one of the best law enforcement officers in America today but I think he should go the whole nine yards.

His deputies should be issued fully automatic M-16's, M-4's, .45 ACP Thompson sub machineguns with 50 round drum magazines and 40 mm M-79 grenade launchers.

The idiot already has APCs. A few years ago the county stopped him from acquiring a feckin tank! LOL

MCSO is actually behind the times. Most of the Phoenix valley city police departments have had ar15 or equivilant for years.

I keep hearing AR15's are only cosmetically different from other semi-auto rifles, so what's the point?

Just FYI, Realtors don't pull crime data. ;)

Edit: I'm not sure what this shows -- don't quite understand it -- BUT if it shows crime?? Then perhaps we can understand the sheriff's concern.

This is the link itself: Phoenix AZ crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

What it shows is that despite pink underwear, they are in the top 10% of crime. So it's not working as well as it seems it should. Personally, it's not my problem and I don't care if they have to wear negligees or dunce hats.
But you'd think they would have gotten better results. 98888888888888888888888888888888888888

I keep hearing AR15's are only cosmetically different from other semi-auto rifles, so what's the point?
It's just the media trying to hype up fear of scary looking rifles again.

View attachment 67151870

That's for the city of Phoenix which is an incorporated city which has it's own police department which also is a progressive law enforcement agency which means they are not a proactive law enforcement agency but a reactive law enforcement agency, usually reacting to crime after it has already happened. The MCSD under Arpaio is a proactive law enforcement agency that tries to prevent crime by jacking up known criminals before they commit a crime. Works very well in cities that have proactive law enforcement.

Sheriff Arpaio is the Sheriff of Maricopa County and is responsible for the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County. He also provides law enforcement to incorporated cities who contract with the MCSD for law enforcement protection.

The idiot already has APCs. A few years ago the county stopped him from acquiring a feckin tank! LOL

Are you saying the MCSD never got it's tank ?

The LAPD has it's tanks.

Even the bedroom community suburb of Monrovia, California of 36,000 has it's armored assault vehicle with a machine gun turret on the top. It would take a TOW missile to stop it.

This is the link itself: Phoenix AZ crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

What it shows is that despite pink underwear, they are in the top 10% of crime. So it's not working as well as it seems it should. Personally, it's not my problem and I don't care if they have to wear negligees or dunce hats.
But you'd think they would have gotten better results. 98888888888888888888888888888888888888

You can download the numbers here >> Crime Rates | southern.arizonaindicators.org

In Maricopa County the 2011 figures for Murder and vehicle theft were at all time lows. Property crimes (larceny, robbery and burglary) were all also down substantially from their peaks in 2004-2006. Meanwhile, down here in Pima County, our per capita crime rate is higher than Maricopa County in every category except burglaries and our homicide rate is 63% higher than Maricopa County. Oh, and our sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, is every bit as much the publicity hound that Arpaio is but he's a politician instead of a crime fighter....but the left loves him because he stands strong against the Tea Party.

Are you saying the MCSD never got it's tank ?

The LAPD has it's tanks.

Even the bedroom community suburb of Monrovia, California of 36,000 has it's armored assault vehicle with a machine gun turret on the top. It would take a TOW missile to stop it.

No, the county told Arpaio to forget the tank. I think it was down to he got a tank or the county would pay for his legal defense which ran and runs in the millions. Arpaio was a least bright enough to take legal defense.

0820091twinpeaks1a.jpg

The trunk? HPD units have one on the rack in between the front seats. Saw the same in San Jose, Ca.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have rifles on hand at all times. Ever since the failed bank robbery in north Hollywood, it became apparent that pistols and shotguns alone, with one or two snipers in the entire department just won't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom