• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty.....

Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty...

Are you saying the MCSD never got it's tank ?
The M109 isn't a tank, it's a self-propelled howitzer. Two different classes of armored vehicle.
The LAPD has it's tanks.

Even the bedroom community suburb of Monrovia, California of 36,000 has it's armored assault vehicle with a machine gun turret on the top. It would take a TOW missile to stop it.

They have light armored vehicles, and APC's, not tanks.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Orders Deputies to Carry AR-15 Style Rifles on Duty...

No, the county told Arpaio to forget the tank. I think it was down to he got a tank or the county would pay for his legal defense which ran and runs in the millions. Arpaio was a least bright enough to take legal defense.

He ended up getting it.

210753d1325002175-new-thp-gun-boat-all-decked-out-joes-tank.jpg

It's a surplus M109, and his department is getting sued for using the stupid thing to bust up a ****-fighting ring.

No, the county told Arpaio to forget the tank. I think it was down to he got a tank or the county would pay for his legal defense which ran and runs in the millions. Arpaio was a least bright enough to take legal defense.

Too bad Sheriff Arpaio isn't as rich as George S, Patton was. Patton paid for the U.S. Army's first U.S. made tank out of his own pocket. In fact it was patton and Eisenhower who built it.

Was this a real tracked tank that Arpaio wanted or was it a wheeled armored assault vehicle ? A tracked tank would make more sense than a wheeled armored vehicle out on the Sonoran Desert which most of Maricopa County is.
If Arpaio wanted a real tank, what kind, the M-48, M-60 or did he want to go the whole nine yards with a M-1 Abrams ? That would scare the beans out of the illegal aliens.

I believe it was LAPD Chief Daryl Gates who had the first armored assault vehicle used by local law enforcement in America. It scared the #### out of the black community in South and South Central L.A. but was a huge success of taking out Blood and Crips crack houses and highly praised by LAPD SWATT when dealing with bad guys who were barricaded in a building.

swat-tanks.jpg

LAPD first SWATT Tank. Notice the battering ram to take out fortified crack houses.

He ended up getting it.

It's a surplus M109, and his department is getting sued for using the stupid thing to bust up a ****-fighting ring.

That's not a tank, it's a self propelled artillery vehichle.

Now I can see the U.S. Border Patrol using this on the border.

Too bad Sheriff Arpaio isn't as rich as George S, Patton was. Patton paid for the U.S. Army's first U.S. made tank out of his own pocket. In fact it was patton and Eisenhower who built it.

Was this a real tracked tank that Arpaio wanted or was it a wheeled armored assault vehicle ? A tracked tank would make more sense than a wheeled armored vehicle out on the Sonoran Desert which most of Maricopa County is.
If Arpaio wanted a real tank, what kind, the M-48, M-60 or did he want to go the whole nine yards with a M-1 Abrams ? That would scare the beans out of the illegal aliens.

I believe it was LAPD Chief Daryl Gates who had the first armored assault vehicle used by local law enforcement in America. It scared the #### out of the black community in South and South Central L.A. but was a huge success of taking out Blood and Crips crack houses and highly praised by LAPD SWATT when dealing with bad guys who were barricaded in a building.

View attachment 67151877

LAPD first SWATT Tank. Notice the battering ram to take out fortified crack houses.

That again is not a tank. It is an APC or armored personnel carrier. Even armored car if you like, but not a tank.

He ended up getting it.

Self-propelled artillery, which this is, are not tanks.

Very cool anyway.

That's not a tank, it's a self propelled artillery vehichle.

Now I can see the U.S. Border Patrol using this on the border.

I know, I said that earlier. I can't see it going anywhere, because all it's going to do is get his department in trouble. The MRAP, or Stryker would have been a much better, and more legit purchase that he could actually do something with.

Very cool anyway.

At Fort Sill we called em "Arizona gun bunny's" if I remember correctly? It's been awhile.

I know, I said that earlier. I can't see it going anywhere, because all it's going to do is get his department in trouble. The MRAP, or Stryker would have been a much better, and more legit purchase that he could actually do something with.
I have to agree, a striker or other APC would have been a better choice.

milwaukee-police-tank.jpg

cobbtank.jpg

Last edited:

Very cool anyway.

Cool, and completely worthless to a law enforcement agency. It carries six people, two of those being the pilot and navigator. It's an illegitimate and wasteful purchase that could have put more useful equipment on the table for his deputies.

I have to agree, a striker or other APC would have been a better choice.

View attachment 67151879

View attachment 67151880

Those are worthwhile purchases. Even a 113 would be somewhat legit. I didn't even know we still used them until 2E came back from Afghan, and they dumped 23 of them on us.

Those are worthwhile purchases. Even a 113 would be somewhat legit. I didn't even know we still used them until 2E came back from Afghan, and they dumped 23 of them on us.
Everything in Afghan has been replaced by MRAPS. The first pic in my post above is a Buffalo MRAP. We used them for VIP transport, armored medivac and EOD. It's pure beast top to bottom.

Everything in Afghan has been replaced by MRAPS. The first pic in my post above is a Buffalo MRAP. We used them for VIP transport, armored medivac and EOD. It's pure beast top to bottom.

We had a buffalo with a remote claw device. It was neat, but something was always breaking down on it. I used to catch z's in it when the shop had some downtime. It was almost too comfortable to be a military vehicle.

I made my post before I saw your post.

It could be Arpaio got a good deal on that self propelled artillery vehicle. The L.A. County Sheriffs Department got two Navy SH-3 helicopters for $5 a piece. They use them today for SAR missions.

It's a shame to what has happened to America where the police have to have full automatic weapons, armored vehicles, and dress like soldiers for combat.

When I was growing up it was pointed out that unlike many parts of the world, America's law enforcement aren't carrying sub machineguns, they usually carried a .38 revolver and had a shotgun in their patrol cars.

I made my post before I saw your post.
No worries, it happens.

It could be Arpaio got a good deal on that self propelled artillery vehicle. The L.A. County Sheriffs Department got two Navy SH-3 helicopters for $5 a piece. They use them today for SAR missions.

It's a shame to what has happened to America where the police have to have full automatic weapons, armored vehicles, and dress like soldiers for combat.

When I was growing up it was pointed out that unlike many parts of the world, America's law enforcement aren't carrying sub machineguns, they usually carried a .38 revolver and had a shotgun in their patrol cars.

I bet he wouldn't have met with as much resistance if he wanted a legit armored personnel carrier. A Stryker would be pushing it, but an MRAP would be legit. You can carry enough agents to do whatever it is that they do, wherever the hell they need to be without having to worry about them getting shot up by violent thugs. The police here converted one of those Loomis armored trucks for SWAT work. The kind that transports money from one place to the other. It is pretty cool looking, and if we ever have any violent **** go down, I'm sure it'll be the first thing sent out, but that has yet to come. I do agree that we live in a sad state of affairs, but I think a lot of it is hyped up to excuse buying new toys. It's not so much a need, as it is a decoration and mark of city/town pride. Every city wants these bad ass cops with tactical uniforms, M-16's, and MP5's with polished boots these days. It looks clean and professional.

That's for the city of Phoenix which is an incorporated city which has it's own police department which also is a progressive law enforcement agency which means they are not a proactive law enforcement agency but a reactive law enforcement agency, usually reacting to crime after it has already happened. The MCSD under Arpaio is a proactive law enforcement agency that tries to prevent crime by jacking up known criminals before they commit a crime. Works very well in cities that have proactive law enforcement.

Sheriff Arpaio is the Sheriff of Maricopa County and is responsible for the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County. He also provides law enforcement to incorporated cities who contract with the MCSD for law enforcement protection.

You can download the numbers here >> Crime Rates | southern.arizonaindicators.org

In Maricopa County the 2011 figures for Murder and vehicle theft were at all time lows. Property crimes (larceny, robbery and burglary) were all also down substantially from their peaks in 2004-2006. Meanwhile, down here in Pima County, our per capita crime rate is higher than Maricopa County in every category except burglaries and our homicide rate is 63% higher than Maricopa County. Oh, and our sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, is every bit as much the publicity hound that Arpaio is but he's a politician instead of a crime fighter....but the left loves him because he stands strong against the Tea Party.

Thank you gentlemen. I live and learn.

I've never even figured out my own hodge-podge of cops. Clark County Sheriff, Metro Police, Las Vegas PD etc. Who runs what is unfathomable.

Why are they being called "AR-15 style"? The rifle isn't styled after an AR15, it is an AR15.

Dumbasses.

Yeah, I caught that too. I figured it has to do with the Media. Since that's one of their Code Words. :lol:

I dated a copper briefly . . . he was a reeeal interesting fellow. When he was off duty, he was always armed. When he sat in a restaurant, he sat in the corner where he could survey the room. He always figured he could be a target. Frankly, I think he was right.

Funny thing about Cops and the bad guys.....they tend to follow the same type behavior patterns. :lol: ;)

Will a LEO chime in please.

Don't all LEOs carry when off duty? I thought they did or is it optional?
Its optional at most departments, some insist that you do. But I know some officers that wont. They feel they want to leave that part of the job at work.

I dated a copper briefly . . . he was a reeeal interesting fellow. When he was off duty, he was always armed. When he sat in a restaurant, he sat in the corner where he could survey the room. He always figured he could be a target. Frankly, I think he was right.
Smart cops and any persons with situational awareness will do the same.

Why are they being called "AR-15 style"? The rifle isn't styled after an AR15, it is an AR15.

Dumbasses.
Because unless its a Armalite, its a variant.

Its optional at most departments, some insist that you do. But I know some officers that wont. They feel they want to leave that part of the job at work.
...and thank you also. I got quite an education in this thread. Did I need to know any of this? Maybe not. But I sure appreciate the things I do learn. That's why I'm prone to asking questions since I actually don't know everything:)

Darn it.

Back
Top Bottom