• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural Read more:

the makeout hobo

Rockin' In The Free World
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural

Artists who painted a mural at an elementary school in Prescott depicting four students, with the most prominent being a Hispanic boy, were asked to lighten the faces amid taunts and tensions.

R.E. Wall, the artist who heads the Prescott Downtown Mural Project, told a local newspaper passersby regularly shouted racially charged comments at his group while they were creating the mural at the Miller Valley Elementary School.

"You're desecrating our school," "Get the ni---- off the wall," "Get the sp-- off the wall," were common, Wall said. "The pressure stayed up consistently," Wall said. "We had two months of cars shouting at us."

The mural shows students using various methods of "green" transportation, but the colors of the students have generated all the attention.

The mural flap comes amid growing tensions over Arizona's strict new immigration law that has drawn nationwide criticism and praise.

The ranting of one city councilman seems to have revved up the controversy in the community.

I'm not completely sure why the school is doing this, but it really doesn't help Arizona try to claim they're not racist at all.

Re: Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural Read mo

"I am not a racist individual," Blair said on a radio show last month, "but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's President of the United States today and based upon the history of this community, when I grew up we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

A better question would be... WHY NOT?

Re: Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural Read mo

A better question would be... WHY NOT?

Yeah.. Im confused on where the issue is here.

So what, the biggest picture is a black dude...

Who gives a ****?

UPDATE - the school has now said they are not lightening faces.

the mural is being restored to its "original theme."

UPDATE - the school has now said they are not lightening faces.

the mural is being restored to its "original theme."

"Restored"?
What, had they already started lightening faces?

Here's an interesting opinion piece:

Arizona mural pales in comparison to Philadelphia

I had not realized the children depicted in the mural were actual children.
That makes it even worse.

Here's an interesting opinion piece:

Arizona mural pales in comparison to Philadelphia

I had not realized the children depicted in the mural were actual children.
That makes it even worse.

I love how Blair says they have no problem with diversity in their community so WHY on earth did they have to put a dark skinned kids on the wall?

If you had no problem with diversity in the community, then a dark skinned child no the wall would be no big deal.

This is what happens to a lot of people who are afraid of their own racism. They've convinced themselves that they aren't racist, so they go public and say something like: I have no problem with dark-skinned people. I just don't want them on my murals. I'm not racist, I just don't want to see pictures of black and brown kids. That's all.

And you know that there will be people who will still support him and he'll still insist that he's not a racist.

All the while, this poor kid Mario is being told that his skin is too dark and it should be lightened to make the town of Prescott feel better.

Because there is a vocal minority of idiots your going to paint an entire state Racist?

To clarify: I'm not saying that Arizonans as a whole are racist. However, there are a lot of fears out there that their new law is going to be used to harass or target hispanics, that it might be put to racist ends. Something like this just exacerbates those fears.

I wonder if there would be equal outrage if a white kid was on the mural and someone said to darken the face. Honestly, this is a non issue.

Wiseone already commented on this in a different thread and explained that the coloring made the pictured children look creepy, almost like a mockery of a person using black face.

They wanted it lightened to change the visual effects, not for some stupid race based reason.
This is what happens when news outlets get a tiny bit of truth and run with it, making **** up along the way.

Wiseone already commented on this in a different thread and explained that the coloring made the pictured children look creepy, almost like a mockery of a person using black face.

They wanted it lightened to change the visual effects, not for some stupid race based reason.
This is what happens when news outlets get a tiny bit of truth and run with it, making **** up along the way.

Are you sure of that? If you read what their city councilmember was saying, it seems that the child's race was an issue.

Why am I not surprised?

Are you sure of that? If you read what their city councilmember was saying, it seems that the child's race was an issue.

Again, why am I not surprised.

A Councilmember is what?
A politician.

Any way to spin something into a political statement.

Going by what Wiseone said, it was an extremely dark color on the picture of the child with white eyes.
That's how I took his description.

That to me, sounds like a poor job on color scheme.
A lighter shade of brown combined with white eyes, wouldn't be as much of a drastic contrast than a dark brown.

Going by what Wiseone said, it was an extremely dark color on the picture of the child with white eyes.
That's how I took his description.

That to me, sounds like a poor job on color scheme.
A lighter shade of brown combined with white eyes, wouldn't be as much of a drastic contrast than a dark brown.

You have a link to that?

I'll believe that's the reason when I see an official source saying so

There can be no official source on the varied opinions of unknown people who drive by yelling.

You either wish to make a racist out of someone, or you wish to think of it in terms of someone who has actually seen the painting and expressed their opinion of the painting in appearance.

Its up to you, not everything has a ****ing source, my god Im so ****ing tired of that ****.

Arizona school asks artists to lighten face of Hispanic student on mural

I'm not completely sure why the school is doing this, but it really doesn't help Arizona try to claim they're not racist at all.

Isn't using this story the equivilent of using Berkly California to paint the whole state of California as military hating nutjobs? The only thing I see this story as is "Waa Boo Hoo, we do not like Arizona solving their own illegal immigration problems, Waa Arizona is big meanie head so lets try to smear them some more" That's what I see this story as and I am sure most other with common sense see this story that way too.

There can be no official source on the varied opinions of unknown people who drive by yelling.

You either wish to make a racist out of someone, or you wish to think of it in terms of someone who has actually seen the painting and expressed their opinion of the painting in appearance.

Its up to you, not everything has a ****ing source, my god Im so ****ing tired of that ****.

Seriously, it's not like Wiseone is a flaming partisan.
He's pretty well balanced as a poster and I take him at his word that it was probably the color contrast that made it look weird.

I am willing to bet everyone is exaggerating to make a point on whatever side they fall. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Back
Top Bottom