• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Republicans launch campaign in support of gay marriage

Einzige

Elitist as Hell.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Arizona voters could decide whether to legalize same-sex marriage next year if a group that's launched an effort to change the state Constitution gathers enough signatures to put the measure on the ballot.

If it's successful, the Arizona Equal Marriage campaign organized by a Libertarian and a Republican could put Arizona in line to be one of the next states to approve same-sex marriage.

But first, the effort would need to collect at least 259,213 signatures of voters registered in Arizona to put the issue on the ballot in the Nov. 4, 2014, general election.

Excellent. It's high time the Republican wing of the Republican Party drives out the Southern Democrats that have come to infest its body politic.

Last edited:
We're sorry...

We looked and looked, but we can't find this page.
It may have moved.

Breaking News - Marriage Equality - EchoMag.com

The spirit of Goldwater and genuine Republicanism lives on in Arizona.

If the Republican party wants to win elections, which is pretty much a given, then it needs to get away from the so called "social conservative" agenda and focus on limited government and fiscal conservatism.
Plus, it needs to do more than simply make mouth noises about those issues, but support the reduction of the cost and intrusiveness of powerful federal government.

Of course, doing so will blur the line between Republicans and Libertarians, but that's OK.

I do think it's smarter to put the referendum on the 2014 ballot rather than 2016...it's more likely that conservatives will come out to vote it down in a presidential election year.

The problem, of course, is that the ex-Democrats in the GOP (think Rick Santorum, who was a Kennedy Democrat until the 1980s) are collectivists, and they behave as such. They're used to voting en masse because the herd instinct comes naturally to them.

The Catholics and the Southerners were always the very worst aspects of the old Democracy (Tammany, the Klan) and they're the very worst aspects of the new Republic.

Last edited:
If the Republican party wants to win elections, which is pretty much a given, then it needs to get away from the so called "social conservative" agenda and focus on limited government and fiscal conservatism.
Plus, it needs to do more than simply make mouth noises about those issues, but support the reduction of the cost and intrusiveness of powerful federal government.

Of course, doing so will blur the line between Republicans and Libertarians, but that's OK.

The problem is that those in power don't want a smaller, cheaper, less intrusive government. The monstrosity we have feeds their need for power and control. We the people certainly outnumber the politicians but they have hoodwinked most of we the people into believing their power and control is what matters.

I do think it's smarter to put the referendum on the 2014 ballot rather than 2016...it's more likely that conservatives will come out to vote it down in a presidential election year.

I think the opposite. Conservative turnout is higher in an election year but it is proportionally higher compared to liberal turnout in midterm years. Would overall get more votes against it in 2016 but has a better chance of getting 50% against in 2014.

The problem is that those in power don't want a smaller, cheaper, less intrusive government. The monstrosity we have feeds their need for power and control. We the people certainly outnumber the politicians but they have hoodwinked most of we the people into believing their power and control is what matters.

That is the crux of the matter, no doubt. The voters do seem to be catching on, though, at least some of them.

You have to look at it in terms of electoral coalitions. If this were even the same GOP that elected Bush of Kennebunkport in 1988 - predominantly northern, predominantly Anglo-Saxon, predominantly Protestant and predominantly wealthy - this wouldn't be a problem in today's Republican Party. The Catholization and Southernization of the GOP has destroyed it as a useful vehicle for virtually any desirable public policy.

You have to look at it in terms of electoral coalitions. If this were even the same GOP that elected Bush of Kennebunkport in 1988 - predominantly northern, predominantly Anglo-Saxon, predominantly Protestant and predominantly wealthy - this wouldn't be a problem in today's Republican Party. The Catholization and Southernization of the GOP has destroyed it as a useful vehicle for virtually any desirable public policy.

You must have missed Reagan winning 49 states in large part to dominating the Catholic vote. Or Nixon.

As a southern Catholic, I speak for all of us when I apologize for harshing your mellow.

As a southern Catholic, I speak for all of us when I apologize for harshing your mellow.

Don't apologize. Just give me back my ancestral Party. Surely a traditionalist sees the value of - tradition. =]

You must have missed Reagan winning 49 states in large part to dominating the Catholic vote. Or Nixon.

And the Nixon Administration is the moment I use to delineate the transition of the Republican Party of today into the Democratic Party of yore.

Don't apologize. Just give me back my ancestral Party. Surely a traditionalist sees the value of - tradition. =]

And the Nixon Administration is the moment I use to delineate the transition of the Republican Party of today into the Democratic Party of yore.

Yes. The liberal,waspish,northern protestant GOP of Landon,Wilkie and Dewey were a powerhouse.

Yes. The liberal,waspish,northern protestant GOP of Landon,Wilkie and Dewey were a powerhouse.

McKinley? Harding? Coolidge? These are men I admire. Nixon? Reagan? These are men I hold in contempt.

(And, yes, I am aware they were not modern liberals. They were not modern conservatives, either. Their beliefs have had no contemporary updating, though right-wing libertarians want very badly to assume a continuity with their views.)

Back
Top Bottom