• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Official Threatens to Cut Off Los Angeles Power as Payback for Boycott

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
FOXNews.com - Arizona Official Threatens to Cut Off Los Angeles Power as Payback for Boycott

Gary Pierce, a commissioner on the five-member Arizona Corporation Commission, wrote the letter in response to the Los Angeles City Council's decision last week to boycott the Grand Canyon State -- in protest of its immigration law -- by suspending official travel there and ending future contracts with state businesses.

Noting that a quarter of Los Angeles' electricity comes from Arizona power plants, Pierce threatened to pull the plug if the City Council does not reconsider. He also ridiculed Villaraigosa for saying that the point of the boycott was to "send a message" by severing the "resources and ties" they share.

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation."

Politics as usual - it's like a playground tussle.

God what's next?

"Los Angeles accuses AZ of developing WMD's"
:rofl

I'm sure that's coming!

gotta hand it to AZ, though, they can play rough and tumble. They definitely aren't being pushed around.

If only the weather in AZ was cooler, I'd consider moving there. Gotta love true americans, people of character living there for sure. If only the rest of the politicians in this country had their brains and courage...

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation."

He's calling their bluff.

I don't think the LA City Council has any business calling for a boycott of AZ. There's something ironic (not sure if that's the right word) about Calif. doing this. California has a lot of it's own problems. I lived in AZ for over a decade in the 80's and 90's and there were so many disgruntled Californians leaving CA for Arizona. It seemed like almost every other person I met or worked with had just bailed on CA (the other half had bailed from the rust belt; I only knew a handful of native Arizonans). There were plenty of jobs and a lower cost of living in AZ back then. But the Californians came with all the money from their CA house sales and their high salary standards and helped drive up the cost of living in AZ. That was the theory at the time, anyway. We also started getting their gangs and the problems that come with that. Which brings us full-circle to the current situation...

Arizona needs to just pull out it's balance sheet, put it on the table, look at California, and laugh hysterically.

Its an empty threat. First off California can get its power elsewhere. Secondly this threat is a bigger threat for Arizona than California, since Arizona would loose income. And finally.. I would wager they have a contract of some sort.. think Arizona could pay those penalties?

If only the weather in AZ was cooler, I'd consider moving there. Gotta love true americans, people of character living there for sure. If only the rest of the politicians in this country had their brains and courage...

There's a climate variety in AZ, though.
Flagstaff and other mountainous areas might be quite pleasant during the summer :)

Flagstaff and other mountainous areas might be quite pleasant during the summer :)

And cold as hell in the winter.... been that, done there. :mrgreen:

Its an empty threat. First off California can get its power elsewhere.

Isn't California a state with rolling blackouts during the summer? I would think that is a pretty good indication that they can't get their power from somewhere else.

Secondly this threat is a bigger threat for Arizona than California, since Arizona would loose income.

This isn't about the whole state of California, just Los Angeles.

And finally.. I would wager they have a contract of some sort.. think Arizona could pay those penalties?

If Los Angeles decides to cut off all business with Arizona then wouldn't Los Angeles be the on to pay those penalties?

Los Angeles is a known den of illegal activity. Naturally, the illegals are unhappy about being forced to follow the law.

I bet half the members of that council are illegal. I say we screen them for legal residence and see how it plays out.

Its an empty threat. First off California can get its power elsewhere. Secondly this threat is a bigger threat for Arizona than California, since Arizona would loose income. And finally.. I would wager they have a contract of some sort.. think Arizona could pay those penalties?

Not logical. If CA can get power somewhere else. AZ can sell that power that goes to CA to some other state. As far as business., I am hoping AZ boycotts San Diego, etc. Lot of us you to go to CA for vacation. I for one will not.

Their is. Flagstaff, Payson, Showlow, etc. That is why I winter in the valley and summers on the Rim. Mild winter. great summers.

Los Angeles is a known den of illegal activity. Naturally, the illegals are unhappy about being forced to follow the law.

I bet half the members of that council are illegal. I say we screen them for legal residence and see how it plays out.

My god. "THEY" have infiltrated LA city councils? I need to upgrade my tinfoil hat before it's too late!

Isn't California a state with rolling blackouts during the summer? I would think that is a pretty good indication that they can't get their power from somewhere else.

That was the summer of ERON... You know Ken Lay... who was best friends with...??

And those exact same concerns exist with LA's threat to boycott AZ, yet you don't seem too concerned about that.

Yeah, because we don't have any power plants in CA.:roll:

I picture every employee of the AZ power companies saying: Tell that jackass to STFU. We like working.

Yeah - I'm not quite understanding *how* Las Angeles is even able to "get" power that's produced *in* AZ - that's a long way away.

Wouldn't it be more affordable to just harness powers already nearby?

Wouldn't it be more affordable to just harness powers already nearby?

It's not just about affordability, it's about reliability and how much load is on different parts of the grid.

Anyhow, this political grandstanding by California is idiotic to say the least. Although I'm surprised Arizona stooped to the level of California in playing "who has the bigger penis" with California.

Last edited:
And the pissing match continues... :popcorn2:

Ahhhnold. :mrgreen:

Actually, if you see the documentary--Eron:Smartest Guys in the Room -- that summer is what helped get Arnie elected.

The question I was looking for: Who was George W. Bush?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom