• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Legislature approves 15-week abortion ban

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Legislature on Thursday joined the growing list of Republican-led states to pass aggressive anti-abortion legislation as the conservative U.S. Supreme Court is considering ratcheting back abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years.

The House voted on party lines to outlaw abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy, mirroring a Mississippi law now being considered by the nation’s high court.

The bill explicitly says it does not overrule a state law in place for more than 100 years that would ban abortion outright if the Supreme Court overrules Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that enshrined the right to abortion in law.

The bill now goes to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey, an abortion opponent who has signed every piece of anti-abortion legislation that has reached his desk since he took office in 2015.

Never mind that our state is basically falling apart, it's ATTENTION-WHORING TIME!

Never mind that our state is basically falling apart, it's ATTENTION-WHORING TIME!

yep more wasted time and money by nutters

healthcare?
education?
infrastructure?

all less important than grandstanding and making bills to cater to nutters that wont survive the test of time anyway

A ban at 15 weeks doesn't sound "aggressive" to me.

A ban at 15 weeks doesn't sound "aggressive" to me.
depending on verbiage (which i havent read the whol thing) all bans that are earlier than RvW are aggressive because many are flat out bans, offer not exceptions or have verbiage like only in a medical emergency but dont actually define that

so whats the purpose of the bill besides to chip away at rights and freedoms?

only about 6% of abortions happen after 15 weeks
and they are medical reasons/concerns for the mother and or the unborn already

this is already what it is so why have a bill that goes further with more restrictions and undefined verbiage unless its just about chipping away at rights and freedoms and how is that not aggressive?

what will this bill do besides punish mothers and families who are already in horrible situations by limiting their rights and say so and forcing things on them? its nothing i support because people that worte the billing or support it cant even explain what its real purpose is and how its beneficial in any objective way

From that AP article:

The bill explicitly says it does not overrule a state law in place for more than 100 years that would ban abortion outright if the Supreme Court overrules Roe v. Wade, the 1973 case that enshrined the right to abortion in law.

I'm afraid that this current Supreme Court is going to overturn Roe v. Wade and abortion will become banned within this state.

Back
Top Bottom