• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Law Requiring Voters Prove Citizenship Is Struck Down

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
WTF? Hopefully this makes it to the supreme court really fast. You should have to prove you are a citizen in order to vote.

Arizona Law Requiring Voters Prove Citizenship Is Struck Down - FoxNews.com

PHOENIX -- A federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down a key part of Arizona's law requiring voters to prove they are citizens before registering to vote and to show identification before casting ballots.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the law requiring voters to prove their citizenship while registering is inconsistent with the National Voter Registration Act. That federal law allows voters to fill out a mail-in voter registration card and swear they are citizens under penalty of perjury, but doesn't require them to show proof as Arizona's law does.

The ruling left in place a requirement that voters provide proof of identity when casting ballots.

I agree. Swearing you are a citizen under penalty of perjury in order to vote is foolish. State's should be allowed to require proof of citizenship.

I agree. Swearing you are a citizen under penalty of perjury in order to vote is foolish. State's should be allowed to require proof of citizenship.

I totally agree.

The ruling seems to be procedurally correct. The AZ law creates a conflict between the federal and state law. Feds win.

There's probably some other way for AZ to do this.

I heard today that there was a few people trying to vote in my county that wasn't even citizens of USA. They were told they couldnt vote and they asked why not? They said they pay taxes so they should be allowed to vote. I wonder if they ever realized paying taxes doesnt mean you have a right to vote. I wouldnt try to vote in England if I just happened to be in country during their elections just because I just paid a huge entrance and flight tax. Also every other tax I would paid for every pound I spent while there.

Maybe I missed it but in NY they have us present our drivers license and sign a book right before we vote. I dont see the hooplah of showing ID to vote.

The ruling seems to be procedurally correct. The AZ law creates a conflict between the federal and state law. Feds win.

There's probably some other way for AZ to do this.

The other way too do it, is for the Federals to do what's right.

But, hey, Obama has to protect all those Democrat votes, somehow. Howelse can he, "punish the enemy", without those Latino votes?

Maybe I missed it but in NY they have us present our drivers license and sign a book right before we vote. I dont see the hooplah of showing ID to vote.

The hooplah, is that procedure makes it too hard to commit voter fraud. There's no way that dead people and illegal aliens could vote, if they had to produce a picture ID.

The hooplah, is that procedure makes it too hard to commit voter fraud. There's no way that dead people and illegal aliens could vote, if they had to produce a picture ID.

I wrote it wrong, what I mean is why is it such a big deal to people to show ID, its not that hard it takes 10 seconds

I wrote it wrong, what I mean is why is it such a big deal to people to show ID, its not that hard it takes 10 seconds

Because, that procedure makes it too hard to commit voter fraud. There's no way that dead people and illegal aliens could vote, if they had to produce a picture ID.

:rofl

Notice the Judge that helped do this?

From the OP

Appeals Court Judge Sandra S. Ikuta's opinion was joined by retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who heard the case as a temporary appeals court judge.

I believe that what you are seeing while you're in line is people showing their driver's licenses voluntarily, or they think they are supposed to show ID. I see the people in front of me in Texas showing ID when they sign the voter roles.

Next time, don't offer to show your ID. No one will ask you to see it because that is against the law. I know. I don't show mine.

Lighten up Sandy Baby.

This is actually probably the legally correct judgement, but that doesn't mean the federal law isn't ridiculous and idiotic.

What Arizona should do is pass a law stating that after voting they will run all the names of voters through a data base to determine if they are of legal status. Any names that don't jive will be tracked down and asked to show legal status. If they can not, well...you get perjury charges.

This wouldn't be denying people the ability to vote and thus wouldn't violate that portion of constitutional law.

I believe that what you are seeing while you're in line is people showing their driver's licenses voluntarily, or they think they are supposed to show ID. I see the people in front of me in Texas showing ID when they sign the voter roles.

Next time, don't offer to show your ID. No one will ask you to see it because that is against the law. I know. I don't show mine.

I thought you had to be a citizen to vote? How is showing proof illegal. It seem the democrats are opening the door for voter fraud

What Arizona should do is pass a law stating that after voting they will run all the names of voters through a data base to determine if they are of legal status. Any names that don't jive will be tracked down and asked to show legal status. If they can not, well...you get perjury charges.

And how do you propose that the states track and find every person that doesn't "jive" with the database?

Do such votes still count until the perjury trial is finished?

And what do you do with names that have no known address or have unknown status?

I thought you had to be a citizen to vote? How is showing proof illegal. It seem the democrats are opening the door for voter fraud

If you registered to vote, your name will be in the voter's role. After you sign the sticker (texas anyway), it's placed next to your name in the role. You can't cheat.

I usually show my drivers licence (read: picture ID) each time I go to vote.

It may be that it is illegal to DEMAND I show it, and now that I think back, they've always asked.

I see no reason NOT to show them my ID...

And, in fact, I would far prefer that picture ID be a federal requirement if you wanted to vote.

If you registered to vote, your name will be in the voter's role. After you sign the sticker (texas anyway), it's placed next to your name in the role. You can't cheat.

Does Texas require that you show ID to vote?

So if this law would pass it would keep U.S. citizens who cannot provide identification out of the voting booth...If you have a voting card then that's all you should need. You need to provide a SSN and valid address when you register, I think that is enough.

So if this law would pass it would keep U.S. citizens who cannot provide identification out of the voting booth.

Other than a long term prison inmatse what citizens do not have a ID or drivers license? You need a ID to practically do everything especially in the age of ID fraud.

..If you have a voting card then that's all you should need. You need to provide a SSN and valid address when you register, I think that is enough.

If someone goes to the bank to cash a check will the tellers just accept a voter registration card? Hell no they wouldn't because anyone with a computer can make their own registration card. Anyone can fill out a voter registration form and send it by mail. That doesn't do squat to fight voter fraud. How does something printed on card stock with no photo that you can fill out and mail prove who you say you are?

Last edited:
WTF? Hopefully this makes it to the supreme court really fast. You should have to prove you are a citizen in order to vote.

ninth circus at it again...

How can it be unconstitutional to require proof of citizenship to register to vote? Where is THAT in the constitution?!?!? sheesh... I love how liberals love to MAKE UP constitutional provisions under the farce of "living document"....

Does Texas require that you show ID to vote?

Not if you have your voter registration card.

Votexas.org
Identification is not required to register to vote in Texas, but you must take either your voter registration certificate or acceptable identification when you vote. For more information on what is acceptable identification, see our section “Need ID?”.

What proof is there you are that person. I can sign your name that does not prove I am you

So if this law would pass it would keep U.S. citizens who cannot provide identification out of the voting booth...If you have a voting card then that's all you should need. You need to provide a SSN and valid address when you register, I think that is enough.

Thats crap picture ID is required in many things. It is almost impossible to live without some sort of picture ID

Back
Top Bottom