• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Law Requiring Voters Prove Citizenship Is Struck Down

Not if you have your voter registration card.

Do you have to show a combination of a driver's license/ID,social security card and or birth certificate or naturalization documents to get a voter registration card? And even if you have to submit that stuff do they even verify that it is real? Does that voter registration card even have a photo in it?

Last edited:
Yea but in NY you have to prove your a citizen in order to register to vote.

Well.........yes but:

To register to vote you must have either a verifiable New York State driver's license number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have either of these, and you are registering for the first time by mail, you may provide a copy of one of the following:

A valid photo ID
A current utility bill
A bank statement
A government check
Some other government documentation that shows your name and address

New York State Board of Elections Home Page

Then there was this from 2007:

Illegal immigrants in New York will be allowed to obtain New York State driver's licenses under a new policy that the Spitzer administration is expected to announce shortly, a source said.

Starting in 2008, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proofs of identification for new license applications. Immigrants will no longer need to provide legal status paperwork or a Social Security card, the source said.

Spitzer Policy Will Let Illegal Immigrants Get Driver's Licenses - September 21, 2007 - The New York Sun

So take that proof of citizenship with a grain of salt in NY state.

j-mac

Ahh voter fraud. Favorite Republican boogeyman.
How many convictions of voter fraud came from the last few elections?

edit: and not voter registration fraud.

The absence of one thing does not prove the other. It is a logical fallacy. Thanks for playing.

j-mac

The absence of one thing does not prove the other. It is a logical fallacy. Thanks for playing.

j-mac

When you hear the same old lame shrills year after year and nothing comes of it but 'allegations', it diminishes your credibility considerbly, except of course in the minds of the 'believers'.

Ya got something concrete, put it out there for all to see. Otherwise it's nothing but shenanigans.

So if this law would pass it would keep U.S. citizens who cannot provide identification out of the voting booth...If you have a voting card then that's all you should need. You need to provide a SSN and valid address when you register, I think that is enough.

A voter should have to produce a photo ID. That isn't asking much. Anyone that doesn't have a picture ID, probably isn't eligible to vote.

When you hear the same old lame shrills year after year and nothing comes of it but 'allegations', it diminishes your credibility considerbly, except of course in the minds of the 'believers'.

Ya got something concrete, put it out there for all to see. Otherwise it's nothing but shenanigans.

The reports have been out there. Heck even in this very forum we have discussed how a Nevada register of voters for ACORN is under indictment for registration fraud, yet still allowed to continue this cycle for the same organization under a different name.

Look, irregularities are at an all time high this early in the count, and I'd be willing to bet a weeks salary that it isn't happening with nearly the frequency on the Repub side as it is with the demo's right now. Face it, when demo's can't win fair and square, they cheat. See Al Franken.

j-mac

So ACORN and registration is not voter fraud?

The reports have been out there. Heck even in this very forum we have discussed how a Nevada register of voters for ACORN is under indictment for registration fraud, yet still allowed to continue this cycle for the same organization under a different name.

Look, irregularities are at an all time high this early in the count, and I'd be willing to bet a weeks salary that it isn't happening with nearly the frequency on the Repub side as it is with the demo's right now. Face it, when demo's can't win fair and square, they cheat. See Al Franken.

j-mac

Registration is where fraud takes place and needs to be cleaned up. You can't cheat at the polls without cheating the registration system first.

No, it's not required.
Registration is where fraud takes place and needs to be cleaned up.

I do not know about your state but in my state voter registrations cards are printed on card stock and does not have a photo. And a lot of the polling places do not even ask to see your voter registration card.

You can't cheat at the polls without cheating the registration system first.

Even if it was required that you show up in person to the state election board with your driver's license/ID, SS card, and birth certificate proof of address and the people there actually verified if the info is real in order to get a voter ID/registration card. It would be pointless as long as those voter registration cards are just printed card stock or paper and the polling places do not ask for ID or voter registration cards or verify that they are real.

Maybe I missed it but in NY they have us present our drivers license and sign a book right before we vote. I dont see the hooplah of showing ID to vote.

That issue was not affected. From the article:

The ruling left in place a requirement that voters provide proof of identity when casting ballots.

I gave them my card and they typed in my name. DH gave them his drivers license and they swiped it in a machine. His way was faster.

I do not know about your state but in my state voter registrations cards are printed on card stock and does not have a photo. And a lot of the polling places do not even ask to see your voter registration card.

Even if it was required that you show up in person to the state election board with your driver's license/ID, SS card, and birth certificate proof of address and the people there actually verified if the info is real in order to get a voter ID/registration card. It would be pointless as long as those voter registration cards are just printed card stock or paper and the polling places do not ask for ID or voter registration cards or verify that they are real.
I'm voting after work. I have my up to date voter registration card in my pocket. Frank Phillips is my elections administrator. It's his job to see that there's only one of me, I'm alive, and old enough to vote.

My wife can't find her card this time. She'll probably show her driver's license, but could just state her name.

If you are in the registered voter book and sign the sticker, you're good to go. It's the signature that will get you into trouble if you're not that person.

LOL, why are Democrats so against anything that proves citizenship or identification in order to participate in elections, drive cars, etc.?

Liberals seem to have an awful lot to hide. Something tells me prisons are overwhelmingly Democrat. LOL

LOL, why are Democrats so against anything that proves citizenship or identification in order to participate in elections, drive cars, etc.?

Liberals seem to have an awful lot to hide. Something tells me prisons are overwhelmingly Democrat. LOL

Please don't take a sweeping assumption like that seriously they tend to be misleading. Prisons, being half pot users, may lean 'democrat' or liberal, but on other political tangents I doubt there are major correlations.

So ACORN and registration is not voter fraud?

No, actually, it isn't. Voter registration fraud and voter fraud are not the same thing.

Mickey Mouse did not show up at any poll to vote.

I heard today that there was a few people trying to vote in my county that wasn't even citizens of USA. They were told they couldnt vote and they asked why not? They said they pay taxes so they should be allowed to vote. I wonder if they ever realized paying taxes doesnt mean you have a right to vote. I wouldnt try to vote in England if I just happened to be in country during their elections just because I just paid a huge entrance and flight tax. Also every other tax I would paid for every pound I spent while there.

If there were police at the polling area why weren't these people arrested. Were the police thrown off the scent by some doughnuts down the hall?

That is the way it is in California and the illegals vote here with impunity, and Nevada is the same way and they voted for Reid so much that this is the only State where the EXIT POLLS were not even close to the reported votes for Reid.

We knew before the election that SEIU were manipulating voting machines but because SEIU and other Union control Nevada, and the same is true in California as well, and that is why nothing will ever be done to stop it.

ACORN only got caught because of two young people catching them red handed as crooks.

Nevada voters don't want Harry Reid, re-elect him anyway | Washington Examiner

Nevada voters don't want Harry Reid, re-elect him anyway

LAS VEGAS — At polling places across Nevada Tuesday, researchers conducting exit polls asked voters one fundamental question about Harry Reid: Do you approve or disapprove of the way he has handled his job as senator? The results were terrible for the Senate Majority Leader. Fifty-five percent of voters disapproved of the job he has done, while 44 percent approved. Such numbers might seem a sure indicator of defeat, and yet by Tuesday night, Reid was leading his supporters in a victory celebration.

I heard today that there was a few people trying to vote in my county that wasn't even citizens of USA. They were told they couldnt vote and they asked why not? They said they pay taxes so they should be allowed to vote. I wonder if they ever realized paying taxes doesnt mean you have a right to vote. I wouldnt try to vote in England if I just happened to be in country during their elections just because I just paid a huge entrance and flight tax. Also every other tax I would paid for every pound I spent while there.

If someone lives in the States legally, pays taxes and obeys the laws then why can't they vote whether they're citizens or not? Seems like another form of denying rights to people who are "different".

If someone lives in the States legally, pays taxes and obeys the laws then why can't they vote whether they're citizens or not? Seems like another form of denying rights to people who are "different".

Because they are not a citizen. Because, in general Federal law requires.
Why would you want to give voting rights especially when electing officials to non citizens?
There is no "denying of rights", non citizens didn't have the right in the first place.

I'm voting after work. I have my up to date voter registration card in my pocket.

Is that up to date voter registration card just a piece of printed card stock or paper? Something that anyone with a computer can print out?

Frank Phillips is my elections administrator. It's his job to see that there's only one of me, I'm alive, and old enough to vote.

Does Frank Phillips know what ballot is yours? Is Frank Phillips checking everyone's ID before they go vote? No,so then how is he a measure of security?

My wife can't find her card this time. She'll probably show her driver's license, but could just state her name.

Which is what a lot of polling places just do. Not really a security measure. Would you want a bank to hand out your cash to anyone who just stated your name?

If you are in the registered voter book and sign the sticker, you're good to go. It's the signature that will get you into trouble if you're not that person.

I didn't know polling place workers were hand writing experts(sarcasm).

jamesrage said:
Is that up to date voter registration card just a piece of printed card stock or paper? Something that anyone with a computer can print out?

Yes it is fairly simple. However, people with extraordinary computer graphics skills can counterfeit your birth certificate, social security card, and your drivers license. If they catch all of the "hidden" watermarks and colored threads, you wouldn't be able to tell which ones were real.

Have you ever watched grocery store clerks hold Benjamins up to the light? It's silly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom