• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas Perry's request goes ignored for more t

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas
Perry's request goes ignored for more than a year

After repeated requests for help, President Barack Obama has agreed to send 1,200 National Guard troops to Arizona's border with Mexico. But so far, the president hasn't responded to Texas' request for assistance.

Gov. Rick Perry has sent letters to Obama, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano requesting National Guard troops for the Texas-Mexico border.

Almost a year and a half after the first letter was sent, Perry hasn't received an answer.

Obama's Maginot Line.
Doesn't Obi remind you of an arrogant French President?
Perhaps he should be called Monsieur Obi.

Last edited:
Re: Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas Perry's request goes ignored for mor

Yep. We have been told the 1200 NG is for observing and reporting. They won't engage. How in the heck is that going to help secure the border. Better head count on who crosses?:mrgreen:

Re: Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas Perry's request goes ignored for mor

Yep. We have been told the 1200 NG is for observing and reporting. They won't engage. How in the heck is that going to help secure the border. Better head count on who crosses?:mrgreen:

Probably to observe and report about the fascist Arizona police oppressing the future Democratic voters as they sneak across the border... ;)

Well those Texans always make these claims about being independent and fiscally responsible and not needing federal support. Put your money where your mouth is, Texas.

Something needs to be done to secure our southern border! If it's not the illegal immigrants, then it's the drug cartel gangs...either way, the United States needs to solve the problem.

Allowing Mexican President Calderon to stand in front of Congress and the American people, and blast Arizona and their anti-immigration law is insulting as hell! And President Obama, bless him, just stands there next to Calderon and bobs his head in agreement. WTH?

The National Guard needs to be stationed in every state that borders Mexico. The border wall/fence project should continue until the entire border is partitioned from Mexico. The government needs to allow the Guard troops to engage illegal immigrants crossing over to the U.S. and the troops should have the authority to use their weapons if they come under attack or are in some other danger.

Tough times call for tough actions. Israel learned that the hard way back in the late 60's and 70's during the airplane hijacking era. Israel put into place really tough airport security measures. Nothing gets hijacked from Israeli airports today.

We, as a nation, cannot live in a politically-correct society, when the rest of the world is not. Some people just cannot be reasoned with. Some nations just don't want to be diplomatic. The American people need to stiffen their spines and do what must be done to correct some of the tough problems afflicting this nation today. Let's find solutions to the problems instead of merely treating the symptoms.

Well those Texans always make these claims about being independent and fiscally responsible and not needing federal support. Put your money where your mouth is, Texas.

Quit taking our money and we'll take care of it. Until then, give us the troops

An earlier version of this report incorrectly stated that Arizona had received a response to its request for National Guard troops. However, the White House said it has not decided where along the southwest border the troops will be deployed. NBC DFW regrets the error.

oops.

Deuce said:

FWIW, I think the argument is that if the federal government is going to take precedence over state efforts to regulate immigration (as it does now), then it's the federal government's obligation to provide the necessary manpower to enforce those rules. If the fed gov were to give Texas authority to completely control immigration within its borders, I'm sure they'd be willing to do it on their own.

Quit taking our money and we'll take care of it. Until then, give us the troops

Texas is hardly a massive net contributor when it comes to tax dollars. Being from Minnesota I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject this proposal.

Would that be the same Gov Perry that was calling for Texass to secede from the United States?

What an asshat.

Texas is hardly a massive net contributor when it comes to tax dollars. Being from Minnesota I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject this proposal.

tex is right though. They get a 6 cent loss per dollar.

Those figures are very misleading. You'll notice that a lot of those states in the top twenty are among our least populated. Build 100 miles of interstate through one of those states and boom your figure rise dramatically compared to a very populated state. Let's compare the total of what New York gets to what South Dakota gets. It would be huge. So this little chart doesn't really tell the story you are presenting.

The problem with this argument is that it relies on an implication that we all know is false. When you say "red states pay less in taxes and get more from the gov than blue states," the implications is that republicans pay less in taxes and get more from the gov than democrats. However, the wealthy are substantially more likely to be republicans, while the poor are overwhelmingly likely to be democrats. Accordingly, charts like this are highly misleading.

Is everyone going to quote that bright graph, it's hurting my eyes.

Those figures are very misleading. You'll notice that a lot of those states in the top twenty are among our least populated. Build 100 miles of interstate through one of those states and boom your figure rise dramatically compared to a very populated state. Let's compare the total of what New York gets to what South Dakota gets. It would be huge. So this little chart doesn't really tell the story you are presenting.

He's also making my point for me. We have a massive problem with illegals in this state so if he wants more of our money give us the troops so we can seal up the border, deport the illegals and have more money for the government.

Its also relying on a 5 year old study but of course that isn't a surprise considering the source.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

Last edited:

Arizona Gets Border Soldiers; None for Texas | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Obama's Maginot Line.
Doesn't Obi remind you of an arrogant French President?
Perhaps he should be called Monsieur Obi.

If they had the authority to prevent illegal crossing or arrest or detain those crosing the border illegally then those 1,200 troops would be a good thing. All they did was give the cosmetic appearance that they were doing something about the border.

We all know those troops he sent are nothing but a political ploy. Throw some breadcrumbs at people asking for bread.

Actually it's more like they just showing pictures of bread crumbs to the people asking for bread seeing how the troops on the border do not have any authority to detain,arrest or prevent illegal crossing.

I think you've watched Red Dawn too many times.

So, you'd have the U.S. military open fire on unarmed Mexicans?

Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free... (for target practice)??:roll::roll:

I think you've watched Red Dawn too many times.

So, you'd have the U.S. military open fire on unarmed Mexicans?

Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free... (for target practice)??:roll::roll:

Are you so delusional you think the only meaning of engage is opening fire?

And you claim he's seen Red Dawn too many times. :roll:

Those figures are very misleading.

How so?

You'll notice that a lot of those states in the top twenty are among our least populated.

A lot? So, you're saying less people, less federal income tax. That only covers individuals. What about the businesses and corporations in those states? Can't those big farms and corn fields carry the load? Oops...:3oops:

Build 100 miles of interstate through one of those states and boom your figure rise dramatically compared to a very populated state.

So your point here is that these rankings may very from year to year depending on public works projects etc. Fair enough. But vary how much?

Let's compare the total of what New York gets to what South Dakota gets. It would be huge.

New York gets $0.79 for every $1 they contribute...

South Dakota get $1.53 for every $1 they contribute...

Hmmm. Not sure what your point is, but it seems like SD owes NY a huge thank you.

The one thing this chart tells me (which I already knew) the majority of the people on welfare are of a light complexion and live in the South. The myth of urban welfare mom was created to bring the old southern Dems over to the GOP.

So this little chart doesn't really tell the story you are presenting.

Unfortunately, your thin argument does really nothing to support that.

a breaking story this morning on the topic of the border:

the cartels are engaging in piracy vs us pleasure boats on falcon lake near zapata, texas

My Way News - Pirates threaten boats on US-Mexico border lake

what's obama's answer to the cartels, does he even have a talking point?

why did secty of state hillary blame mexican drug violence on aspects of american culture?

U.S. shares blame for Mexico drug violence, Clinton says - CNN.com

we got a bunch of weirdos in the white house

hillary's now one of em

hopeless eric holder is now challenging as illegal an immigration reform signed into law by then governor of arizona JANET NAPOLITANO

DOJ: Ariz. law Napolitano signed is illegal - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

obama's dhs secty, his "point person on immigration," must be a racist like the majority of arizonans

this admin is pusillanimously political and utterly incoherent

Are you so delusional you think the only meaning of engage is opening fire?

Okay, pray tell, give us another meaning -- within the context of the quote I was commenting on:

Engage =

This should be interesting...

Okay, pray tell, give us another meaning -- within the context of the quote I was commenting on:

Engage =

This should be interesting...

Uh, it's pretty obvious that forces can "engage" in ways that don't involve shooting people.

If the troops spot some people crossing the border and walk over to detain them, that constitutes an engagement.

Last edited:

If the troops spot some people crossing the border and walk over to detain them, that constitutes an engagement.

can you believe you'd actually have to explain something like that?

LOL!

i admire your patience, you probably raised lots of kids...

Back
Top Bottom