• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Candidate: Cut Off Power to Illegal Immigrants

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What do you think? It sounds over the top to me. Also, many illegals crash with relatives or friends. Isn't this taking matters too far in the fight against illegal immigration?

FOXNews.com - Arizona Candidate: Cut Off Power to Illegal Immigrants

Ratcheting up the debate over immigration in his state, a candidate for the Arizona utilities commission is threatening to cut off power and gas to illegal immigrants if he's elected.

"It is not a right. It is a service," Barry Wong, candidate for the Arizona Corporation Commission, told The Arizona Republic.

The Republican candidate argues that the policy would be a cost-saving measure for consumers.

Though it would cost money for power companies to check immigration status, he said it would ultimately save money because power companies would not have to build new plants to serve the illegal immigrant community, presumably passing on that savings to consumers. His plan, if elected to the five-person commission, would be to require utilities to check immigration status.

Hmmm so this idiot wants to cut off power and gas (oddly not water) to illegals. How about reporting them and getting them deported instead? Another idiot republican trying to cash in on an xenophobic crazy hitting the US.

Actually, I don't see a problem with this statement. If they are criminals than they have no rights to these sorts of services.

Actually, I don't see a problem with this statement. If they are criminals than they have no rights to these sorts of services.

If they are illegals and they are known enough to shut the power off, they are known enough for INS to take them away.

This is another stupid grandstanding moment to try and gain political points only with no practical application.

Other then they would have paid for them,

But realistically how on earth is the power company going to know if somebody is illegal?

Are all people in Arizona going to have to provide proof of citizenship to go grocery shopping next. Will cashiers be required to ask for your ID (which will have to be a citizenship card as a drivers license wont cut it) when you buy an Slurpee with cash?

But realistically how on earth is the power company going to know if somebody is illegal?

Are all people in Arizona going to have to provide proof of citizenship to go grocery shopping next. Will cashiers be required to ask for your ID (which will have to be a citizenship card as a drivers license wont cut it) when you buy an Slurpee with cash?

I know, I don't think its practical or even a good idea, but legally, I have no issue with it. Ultimately though, I agree that if someone is a known illegal than they should be deported.

That won't do squat....

What will get Mexico's attention...

1 Cut off the wire transfers..

2 Strict enforcement with the ability to back it up with appropriately delivered firepower.

But cant you see an illegal by the type of car he drives, the shoes he wears and the over all way he dresses and smells.....:roll:

Right Sentiment, wrong approach. I understand the desire to make life hell on those here illegally, making it unattractive to be here. But the approach needs to encompass things like hitting the employers, renters, realators and the like. Deny them schools for their kids, end the Anchor Baby BS, deny them all but emergency medical care, no social services and then you'll see the illegal problem start to abate.

Right Sentiment, wrong approach. I understand the desire to make life hell on those here illegally, making it unattractive to be here. But the approach needs to encompass things like hitting the employers, renters, realators and the like. Deny them schools for their kids, end the Anchor Baby BS, deny them all but emergency medical care, no social services and then you'll see the illegal problem start to abate.

I agree. If you feed the hungry birds, you end up with more hungry birds. It you don't put out food for them, they'll go elsewhere. Basic fact of life.

I agree. If you feed the hungry birds, you end up with more hungry birds. It you don't put out food for them, they'll go elsewhere. Basic fact of life.

Except these birds have potential voting in the future (or currently if there is an ACORN office nearby).

Except these birds have potential voting in the future (or currently if there is an ACORN office nearby).

Thats precisely their objective...."Taking back, Kali, Arizona, N Mexico and Texas without firing 1 shot". Nationwide, Latino voter registration grew 54% and Latino voter turnout grew 64% between 2000 and 2008.

They will eventually shape congressional apportionment

bordercrossedus.jpg

westole.jpg

Hmmm so this idiot wants to cut off power and gas (oddly not water) to illegals. How about reporting them and getting them deported instead? Another idiot republican trying to cash in on an xenophobic crazy hitting the US.
You have a point.
They should be deported rather than silly things like power.
Of course this situation arises becaue our Federal govt is NOT doing their job and states don't have the power.
But that would be a better solution and a great photo op..... Arizona loading busses with illegals and deporting them.
Embarrassing the feds into the job.

Last edited:

Doubt it. If illegals weren't draining the country through welfare and free social services, this wouldn't be a fraction of the problem it is.

Agree
As I've said many times, the solution is to sanction anyone who hires an illegal.
No money. No stay.
A law with a $5000 fine for first offense and JAIL time and higher fine for second offense.
Starting say... with a raid on LA's 50 biggest restaurants one night.. and on down the line. (and across the nation)
The problem would be 90% solved in ONE week.

Last edited:
If California can boycott fellow Americans over illegal immigration, Arizonans can boycott illegal immigrants that may move to California for electricity.

If California can boycott fellow Americans over illegal immigration, Arizonans can boycott illegal immigrants that may move to California for electricity.

Or maybe something that makes sense.

OP:
Now this I don't agree with - even prisoner's in jail get electricity :shrug:

And last I looked being a US citizen wasn't a requirement for me to get on the grid and in the power company's fattening pocket.

It's a service -a utility - you pay for what you use . . . and if you don't pay THEN you get it cut off.

If they know where illegals live, they should go over there and jail them/deport them. Why cut off electricity instead of enforcing the law? What they should do is cut electricity to businesses that hire illegals, that might do more good.

But cant you see an illegal by the type of car he drives, the shoes he wears and the over all way he dresses and smells.....:roll:
Only if they are from spain. :roll:

I don't think the Arizona Utilities Commission has that kind of pull.

That won't do squat....

What will get Mexico's attention...

1 Cut off the wire transfers..

2 Strict enforcement with the ability to back it up with appropriately delivered firepower.

This is all so simple, why are people trying to over-complicate this.... cut off the job by stiff fines on employers that employ illegals. The laws are already on the books, just enforce them. People that do not want strict enforcement of those laws really are not against illegal aliens and should just be quiet.

This is all so simple, why are people trying to over-complicate this.... cut off the job by stiff fines on employers that employ illegals. The laws are already on the books, just enforce them. People that do not want strict enforcement of those laws really are not against illegal aliens and should just be quiet.

Well - that's what Arizona's actually doing with SB 1070 - enforcing existing laws and cutting off work permits and imploying stiff fines for hiring/harboring illegals.

And the government's suing them for it and other places are pretending to boycott claiming it's outrageous.

1. Its actually not a crime to be here illegally, therefore violators are not criminal
2. If it were a crime, one would have to have been convicted of the offense to be labeled a criminal
3. and what you are advocating amounts to punishment, which can only be rendered after conviction...

Back
Top Bottom