• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona artists told to repaint mural to be less ethnic

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The leader of a group of artists says he was ordered to lighten the skin tones of children depicted in an outdoor mural covering two walls of a Prescott, Arizona elementary school because of complaints that the faces appeared too ethnic.
"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," R.E. Wall told AZCentral. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)." Wall explained that "because of the controversy," he was told to make the children's faces lighter and happier.

"We were looking at it from an artistic view," Lane claimed "Nothing at all to do with race." Lane's order, however, came only after City Councilman Steve Blair had used his radio talk show to start a campaign for the mural to be removed.

Yea, nothing racist about it. We are only talking about a City Councilman who openly refers to Hispanics as Taco Flippers, and who complains about diversity being shoved down the throats of white people. Actually, it says more about certain leaders of Arizona's white community. But you be the judge. The images look OK to me.

984719338.jpg

But the biggest human being on the mural happens to be..........

BLACK!! OH.MY.GOD!!

Said the City Councilman:

"I am not a racist individual, but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's president of the United States today and based upon the history of this community when I grew up, we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

Translation - I have lots of black friends, and I like black people, as long as they know their place.

That says it all, folks.

Article is here

Attachments

• 984719345.jpg
    984719345.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If the black kid was in the far background and the white kids were at the very front, making the assumption that whites are the leaders and blacks the followers, we would never hear the end of it.

"Why can't we all just get along?"
I am tired of the political correctness BS. We should be beyond this. We will never have an equal balance in the workplace based on race and the percentage of the population. People need to quit reading to much into things. Those complaining on either side of the mural painting have issues imo.

I would refuse to change the mural.
If the artists comply by making the faces "lighter", I would sneak out to the mural in the middle of the night and spraypaint all the faces brown in protest.
If they repainted them, I'd do it again and again.
I wouldn't care if I got caught, either.
I don't give a crap about the rules of racists.

I say take the mural down altogether. Problem solved. Everybody happy.

I think they should have been told to make it less ugly. That thing is hideous.

Any time someone says "I am not [insert type of bigot here], but..." he is absolutely a bigot. But the truly awesome thing is even if bigots learn all the codespeak for "I am a bigot" and avoid it impeccably, they still can't help the fact that they don't see themselves as bigots and will give it away every time.

he was told to make the children's faces lighter and happier.

(boldface mine)

Huh...

I don't even really know what to make of that.

Any time someone says "I am not [insert type of bigot here], but..." he is absolutely a bigot. But the truly awesome thing is even if bigots learn all the codespeak for "I am a bigot" and avoid it impeccably, they still can't help the fact that they don't see themselves as bigots and will give it away every time.

(boldface mine)

Huh...

I don't even really know what to make of that.

What's really sad, is that we live in a society where a person can't make a criticism without first qualifying that they're not a bigot.

he was told to make the children's faces lighter and happier.

Perhaps he wasn't referring to race, at all? Political correctness run amuck, perhaps? Again!!

Last edited:
What's really sad, is that we live in a society where a person can't make a criticism without first qualifying that they're not a bigot.

Thank you for proving my point in a timely fashion.

No. The kids at the school, along with the parents of those kids, would be getting screwed. They liked it, and damn it, it's THEIR neighborhood. It doesn't belong to the busybody city councilman or any other the other assholes who want to ruin something good for those who actually live there.

I know killing is basically against every value we have as humans...But please someone give me a gun and I will end this stupidity once and for all

This is actually making me laugh XD

I think its stupid and a trivial thing that's ridiculous to be upset about. That said, its on state property and if the state wants to change it that's their perogative, even if its an incredibly dumb one.

If the black kid was in the far background and the white kids were at the very front, making the assumption that whites are the leaders and blacks the followers, we would never hear the end of it.

Weird.. its almost like, if liberals thought like you think they do, that'd actually be true.

I would have changed the skin tones to purple and green.

Perhaps he wasn't referring to race, at all? Political correctness run amuck, perhaps? Again!!

Then why did he have to ask why a brown person (the kid it's based on is actually Latino, not black) is at the center of the mural?

I'll quote the City Councilman and Right-wing Talk Radio Host one more time:

"I am not a racist individual, but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's president of the United States today and based upon the history of this community when I grew up, we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

You see no problem with what he said - and he's so far out of his ass that he didn't even bother to research that the kids portrayed in the mural are from Prescott - it has nothing to do with the President at all.

The guy's a douche. Defending him only brings you down.

I'm honestly surprised that in 2010 we still deal with stupid crap like this. One would think we would have evolved way past this by now. Sadly, there will always be racist morons like this.

The sooner these people admit to being racists, own up to being human, the better off we will be.All this crap will be over when, as men, we state that there is one race, the human race...
The painting must stay, unaltered.
Right now, Arizona and the entire world have a long way to go.
To those who yell racial slurs from their automobiles, I'd say "remove your fat ass from your vehicle and repeat that insult again, to my face, if you are man enough(and foolish enough!")

And burn all the books as well..........and a pail of sand for all to immerse their heads, a one quart pail should do.

Art simply is, therefore it is. I would never consider altering one of my works for such a demented reason. Take it down if you must, or leave it be.

White trash supremacists don't need a reason to yell racial slurs.

EDIT: This reminds me of the Taliban destroying the Buddhas. Twisted.

Last edited:
Yea, nothing racist about it. We are only talking about a City Councilman who openly refers to Hispanics as Taco Flippers, and who complains about diversity being shoved down the throats of white people. Actually, it says more about certain leaders of Arizona's white community. But you be the judge. The images look OK to me.

984719338.jpg

But the biggest human being on the mural happens to be..........

BLACK!! OH.MY.GOD!!

Said the City Councilman:

Translation - I have lots of black friends, and I like black people, as long as they know their place.

That says it all, folks.

Article is here

IS this one of those wah boo hoo we don't like states handling their illegal immigration problem and banning classes that promote racism so we are going to use some story to paint the whole state as a bunch o racistf loons?

The sooner these people admit to being racists, own up to being human, the better off we will be.All this crap will be over when, as men, we state that there is one race, the human race...
The painting must stay, unaltered.
Right now, Arizona and the entire world have a long way to go.
To those who yell racial slurs from their automobiles, I'd say "remove your fat ass from your vehicle and repeat that insult again, to my face, if you are man enough(and foolish enough!")

I agree, so lets cut all of the social programs , diversity programs, etc. We all are just human.
I don't yell racist slurs. I don't support illegal being in this country. I don't like being told that because I am not a minority I have a (racistist) stance becuase I don't support every program or stance made by some minorities. Yes, it was out of line to refer to people as Taco, wetback, etc.
Will you at least give the person credit for changing his stance and saying the mural will stay as is. He was sorry for the incident. You man enough to accept this?

Back
Top Bottom