• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ariz. governor says she was wrong about beheadings

Chappy

User
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
That was an error, if I said that. — Governor Jan Brewer (R-AZ)

If she said that? Doesn't she know she said that? Is memory another failing of this accidental governor?

Excerpted from “Ariz. governor says she was wrong about beheadings; Arizona governor says she was wrong about her beheadings claim disputed by rival during debate” By PAUL DAVENPORT and AMANDA LEE MYERS, AP News, TPM News, Sep 04, 2010 04:11 EDT
[SIZE="+2"]A[/SIZE] claim by Arizona's governor that rising violence along the U.S.-Mexico border has led to headless bodies turning up in the desert came back to haunt her during a stammering debate performance in which she failed to back it up.

At least she owns up to her mistakes and admits she was wrong. That takes humility and character. Obama on the other hand propagates his failed stimulus as healing the economy and jobs. When will he admit his lies?

If she said that? Doesn't she know she said that? Is memory another failing of this accidental governor?

What politician has not misspoked , lied, or bended the truth? Chappy, can you tell me with all honesty that Pelosi has never misspoken on a subject. It should be a non issue.

Gee, I can't think of a politician who claimed that law enforcement officers were finding beheaded bodies in the desert and when every authority in the state contradicted her, she persisted in her claims through televised debates, through press conferences. This woman is an idiot.

Gee, I can't think of a politician who claimed that law enforcement officers were finding beheaded bodies in the desert and when every authority in the state contradicted her, she persisted in her claims through televised debates, through press conferences. This woman is an idiot.

That brings to mind a pretty famous politician who promised unemployment wouldn't raise above 8% if we passed his bill... He also goes on the news and talks about how successful the economic recovery is coming along despite higher unemployment and decline... He is persistent in his claims through debates and conferences. That politician is a idiot.

At least she owns up to her mistakes and admits she was wrong. That takes humility and character. Obama on the other hand propagates his failed stimulus as healing the economy and jobs. When will he admit his lies?

There are more beheadings going on (just not in Az) than there was stimulous in the stimulous bill.
I really don't think think this or her "brainfreeze" will hurt her. She's too far ahead in the polls.

MEXICO CITY — Police on Monday captured a Texas-born accused drug kingpin known for his unlikely nickname — La Barbie — and for ruthlessly ordering the beheadings of his enemies

Aug 30, 2010 ... Mexican police Monday captured a Texas-born accused drug kingpin who's known for his unusual nic
Mexico seizes 'La Barbie,' drug lord famed for beheadings | McClatchy

Chappy, you never answer questions. I'll take your lead and say that Pelosi is an idiot for the many false statements she made in office. So once again, she finally admitted she was wrong. Don't see Pelosi, Kerry doing any backtracking on their wrong statements. How is the Gov any different that your beloved Pelosi.

Ummm...so let me get this straight...there ARENT beheadings and violence occuring along the border? The drug cartels and human traffickers ARENT killing any and everyone that gets in their way? Is it that Governor Brewer mistakenly said that they were actually in Arizona and not on the mexico side of the border?

In the same article you posted there was this quote"
"A Republican legislator who was the prime sponsor of Arizona's immigration law said Brewer's critics were just playing games and ignoring the real issue — violence bleeding across the border into the United States.

"I can tell you there's been 300 to 500 beheadings and dismemberments along that border," state Sen. Russell Pearce said Thursday. "It is a national security concern, yet we're worried about this game-playing, this word-smithing."

So...is it? I mean...we KNOW the drug cartels are a pretty brutal type. We know they have been found to dismember bodies, one individual was arreested recently for disolving bodies in acid. The violence does spill over into Az...doesnt it?

So was it semantics and geographic concerns that really have you dancing gleefuolly and slapping each other high fives?

Gov Brewer doesnt strike me as the polished speaker type. She should hire a team of speechwriters and and never speak without the aid of a teleprompter...have someone feed her comments and lines like the DiC...then she too will at least come across as a smooth speaker.

From Cato, no less.

Excerpted from “Misguided Fears of Crime Fuel Arizona Immigration Law” Posted by Daniel Griswold, “Cato@Liberty,” April 27, 2010 @ 11:38 am
[SIZE="+2"]T[/SIZE]he crime rate in Arizona in 2008 was the lowest it has been in four decades. In the past decade, as the number of illegal immigrants in the state grew rapidly, the violent crime rate dropped by 23 percent, the property crime rate by 28 percent. (You can check out the DoJ figures here.)

Census data show that immigrants are actually less likely to commit crimes than their native-born counterparts, as I unpacked a few months ago in an article for Commentary magazine titled, “Higher Immigration, Lower Crime.”

Arizona Republicans are lying about the record. During these economic hard times it sooths the populace to be able to blame someone else, someone who's easily identified, somebody other than themselves. And, the Republicans know just who to blame — the people who can't fight back.

Accidental Governor Brewer is the worse kind of leader; she feeds off of ignorance and fear.

From Cato, no less.

Arizona Republicans are lying about the record. During these economic hard times it sooths the populace to be able to blame someone else, someone who's easily identified, somebody other than themselves. And, the Republicans know just who to blame — the people who can't fight back.

Accidental Governor Brewer is the worse kind of leader; she feeds off of ignorance and fear.

I don't like the "Rag". It is way to pro illegal. But care to prove that their facts are wrong. Its easy to make a statement. Please provide proof.

I really don't like the mind set of of Boxer or Pelosi. Please keep them in California and away from the business of Arizona.

I don't know if the beheadings are taking place by Mexican drug lords or if it's merely American gangsters, ala, mob-types, who have done this sort of thing for years and such crimes are now being blamed on "people who can't fight back," but I do know that if local/state law enforcement haven't linked these beheadings to illegal immigration/Mexican drug runners then it is wrong to make such statements.

Bottom line: I hear alot coming from AZ Republican politicians on this issue, but what does local/state/federal law enforcement have to say about it? If such beheadings are taking place and it has been determined to be part of the drug cartels, why haven't the FBI/DEA been involved? Why is it that the only people who seem to be speaking out against this are the AZ governor, her political adversary and the most famous sherrif in the state?

Just asking questions here, folks...hoping others will start doing the same thing and looking at things more "objectively" and not merely along political lines. Provide a few recent cornoner's reports or final investigative reports that support the claim that these beheadings have, in fact, been committed by Mexicans and I'll support Governer Brewer's position 110%. Until then, it's just alot of talk - spreading fear - to gain a political advantage.

Last edited:
Ariz. governor recants beheadings statement

PHOENIX (AP) — Gov. Jan Brewer rose to national fame defending the state's immigration law and warning of rising violence along the U.S.-Mexico border, including a claim that headless bodies were turning up in the Arizona desert.

But the claim has come back to haunt her after her stammering debate performance in which she failed to back it up and ignored repeated questions on the issue from a scrum of reporters.

And now, she admits her story is not true. She backtracks and said that she meant to say Mexico, but that is a lie:

Jan Brewer said:

Arizona's law enforcement agencies work in Arizona, not in Mexico. So what has Brewer now done? She has told a lie in an attempt to explain away another lie. Guess what else? She got caught both times.

But there is no fear mongering going on here folks. Move along. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

The gov finally came out and said she made a mistake: Jan Brewer, GOP governor of Arizona and SB1070 supporter: I was wrong on headless bodies claim

While its not been seen in AZ, it is happening just across the border:
Why are beheadings so popular with Mexico's drug gangs? | McClatchy "
CUERNAVACA, Mexico — The preferred form of cruelty by drug cartel henchmen is to capture enemies and behead them, a once-shocking act that has now become numbingly routine. Since March 22, authorities have come across four separate grisly scenes of beheaded bodies, in one case with several heads placed neatly in a row. Dozens of people have been decapitated in recent months, most of them apparently members of rival drug gangs locked in turf battles over narcotics routes, betrayals of loyalty and territorial influence. "
IMO, the point she wanted to make is we don't want the drug violance coming into AZ. The borders are way to easy to cross.

Read more: Why are beheadings so popular with Mexico's drug gangs? | McClatchy

Re: Ariz. governor recants beheadings statement

Yep, she blew it and is not right for anyone to take that tact.
""That was an error, if I said that," the Republican told The Associated Press on Friday. "I misspoke, but you know, let me be clear, I am concerned about the border region because it continues to be reported in Mexico that there's a lot of violence going on and we don't want that going into Arizona.""She said she was referring to beheadings and other cartel-related violence in Mexico in comments she made earlier this summer about decapitated bodies found in the state's southern region."

So lets hope the rest of the campaign sticks to issues and facts. Her main rival Terry G, is pretty silent on illegals, except for the drug side of things. He also has not / won't explain how to fund his ideas for the State. Like many States, AZ is can't support spending like it did a few years ago.

From Cato, no less.

How do you explain her approval ratings?

Fact is there were two heads with no bodies to go with them found in the AZ. Desert that in the end could not be attributed to either illegals or Mexican drug lords.

What she should have made a big deal over is the Illegals are behind the vast majority of KIDNAPPINGS THAT MAKE PHOENIX THE SECOND LEADING KIDKNAPP CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

And that is outrageous when you hear Obama and Napolitano claiming the Borders are safer than ever.

I would like to any Leftist big shot like these two or any other go to a Mexican border city without heavy security. The if they live they can keep up the nonsense.

Yes Jan screwed up but she is for the most part doing a very good job for AZ, my home for 20 years before coming back to liberal Central CA.

Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.

Maybe not in AZ, but plenty of beheadings do go on in Mexico.There are links in another thread. I think she is good for AZ and the country. It will take more than this to hurt her. Even her "brain freeze" won't matter in the end. It just shows she is human and not your regular politician.

A politician takes the rare action of acknowledging making a mistake and you're pissed about how she phrased it??

Sounds like the beheadings are prevalent along the border, but with most happening on the Mexican side.

A politician takes the rare action of acknowledging making a mistake and you're pissed about how she phrased it??

Sounds like the beheadings are prevalent along the border, but with most happening on the Mexican side.

Chappy would post a thread if a republican politician misordered breakfast. THAT there is criminal behavior, violence, drug smuggling, kidnapping...NONE of that matters. THAT they are actually trying to do something about it...PSHAW! Heaven forbid. I dont think i ever saw any threads from him regarding Obamas outright lies about when mommy and daddy hooked up under JFKs love blanket...or any of the other steady stream of lies...his hate and scorn is one way, baby...the only 'lies' that count are conservative lies.

Maybe not in AZ, but plenty of beheadings do go on in Mexico.There are links in another thread. I think she is good for AZ and the country. It will take more than this to hurt her. Even her "brain freeze" won't matter in the end. It just shows she is human and not your regular politician.

In all sincerety here, the issue is not beheadings in Mexico, but another lying politician. I shouldn't be too hard on her though, since other politicians, both Republican and Democratic, have told some real whoppers this election cycle.

If you want to know the truth, I have more faith that a serial liar will be more trustworthy than a politician of ANY stripe or ideology.

Back
Top Bottom