• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Arguments for God's Existance

Apostle13 said:
:lol: Just makin' a statement based on your own... Now your back we have to listen to the Santa, easter bunny, sky pixie, sky bloke, flying purple unicorn, etc. per proof for God metaphors/analogies... I figure a pic is worth a thousand right so I'm way up on ya..:cool:

Haha. BTW, why the avatar switch? Surley you're not gonna keep THAT as your avatar?

kal-el said:
Haha. BTW, why the avatar switch? Surley you're not gonna keep THAT as your avatar?
Naa... I'm looking for one. Just did that for you man... But I'm not likely going back to the old... Stay tuned.

MrFungus420 said:
Back to the argument from incredulity. Just because you can't understand something, it must be because of God.

I think this is nothing more than extreme arrogance. Falling back on this argument is putting yourself forth as the ultimate arbiter of knowledge. If it is beyond your understanding, it must be wrong.

Never said I don't understand the scientific principles of it. Mere speculation and basic insults that everyone who is religious must therefor be lower than average intelligence.
Being able to comprehend the scientific principles and basics of physics does not mean that one must automatically assume that there is no God.

As for the dates, here is a site that may explain it to you.
http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm
There is a difference between the Jewish calander and the Gregorian Calendar.

Blue Collar Joe said:
Never said I don't understand the scientific principles of it.

True, you basically said that you can't fathom how it could have happened without divine intervention, not that you don't understand scientific principles.

Blue Collar Joe said:
Mere speculation and basic insults that everyone who is religious must therefor be lower than average intelligence.

What speculation? I pointed out that you were using an argument from incredulity, which you were.

And, I defy you to find where I have disparaged anyone's intelligence. What I did was point out the assumption being made that, because of a lack of understanding, it is done by God. I freely admit that I don't understand some of what is being used by scientists to try to understand the origins of the universe, but I can admit my ignorance and not feel a need to attribute that which I don't understand to a god.

However, in the same way in which I trust a physician to take care of medical problems that are part of his bailiwick that I don't understand, I trust the research of scientists in their field of expertise. I know that when research is peer-reviewed, it is verified by others in the field. I know that the information is available to verify myself, if I so desire. There have been times that I have verified what I am able to.

Blue Collar Joe said:
Being able to comprehend the scientific principles and basics of physics does not mean that one must automatically assume that there is no God.

That's fine. People are entitled to their faith. However, with a total lack of evidence for a diety, I have no belief in one.

Blue Collar Joe said:
As for the dates, here is a site that may explain it to you.
http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm
There is a difference between the Jewish calander and the Gregorian Calendar.

Irrelevent. You made a comment about there being a differing number of days per year, which is patently false. I understand that the time that Passover is celebrated is based on a lunar cycle, but that was not what you claimed.

MrFungus420 said:
Apostle13 said:
Did you know there is a holiday specifically for atheists?
April 1st
Unlike Christianity which has nothing other than stolen pagan celebrations...
Aww... Did that make you mad when I said that? :lol:

Atheism might actually make sense if wasn't for the fact that they believe in no later state of consciousness after this one. The entire idea that we simply die and go into nothingness sounds absurd to me. Also, the idea there is no caring and compassionate higher being also sounds highy unlikely to me. You can argue that there is simply no proof but that isn't the icing on the cake. I believe a wise man holds weight in things on faith where there isn't immediate proof. This is like how many brillant scientists have accepted thoughts and ideas about the Universe based on faith. Isaac Newton was a Christian and held many deep and personal beliefs on the Universe that were based on faith. It seems like very intelligent and especially, creative people have always leaned more towards theism. Why? Because it's easier to believe in things that only, "appear" to have been proven. It's much harder to think beyond yourself or your enviroment.

Apostle13 said:
Aww... Did that make you mad when I said that? :lol:

Not in the least. You choose to claim that April 1st is a holiday specifically for atheists (btw, nice example of bearing false witness), and I just pointed out that Christianity's holidays are primarily celebrations stolen from polytheistic religions. In essence, that Christian celebrations are nothing more than lies.

Apostle13 said:
Naa... I'm looking for one. Just did that for you man... But I'm not likely going back to the old... Stay tuned.

Hey Apostle, is that avatar supposed to be Isaiah, when God ordered him to walk around in the buff? :lol:

MrFungus420 said:
Not in the least. You choose to claim that April 1st is a holiday specifically for atheists (btw, nice example of bearing false witness), and I just pointed out that Christianity's holidays are primarily celebrations stolen from polytheistic religions. In essence, that Christian celebrations are nothing more than lies.
Well you were originally right in the "tit for tat" explanation. Seems you can dish a few jokes, bash about Christians/God's existence, but it ails you (however slightly) when the hammer drops on your own foot... Lighten up man. And shut up with the whole "false witness"... That's just stupid.

kal-el said:
Hey Apostle, is that avatar supposed to be Isaiah, when God ordered him to walk around in the buff? :lol:
Nope... That's me, buffed and buff...So don't pi$$ me off..:lol:

MrFungus420 said:
Back to the argument from incredulity. Just because you can't understand something, it must be because of God.

I think this is nothing more than extreme arrogance. Falling back on this argument is putting yourself forth as the ultimate arbiter of knowledge. If it is beyond your understanding, it must be wrong.

From my point of view this is because it is beyond YOUR understanding. It is you who are judging that an entity may not exist in the space existing beyond your understanding.

1.There is a space ( or Something) beyond your understanding.
2.The size of the space (or qualities of Something) does not change whatever is advancement of your knowledge.
3. You know the space (Something) exists.
4. You are saying it does not, or you need a prove of otherwise.
4a. You are making a conclusion that there is no entity existing in that space.
6. Blue Collar says it does exist beyond his understanding, and therefore the prove of the Entity must not be required.

kal-el said:
If an atheist needs to present proof of the non-existence of God, then I'd venture to say that purple unicorns, Santa, the Loch Ness, etc, etc, etc, can exist until someone can muster up some observational evidence that says they don't.

I am an agnostic, but I will say this. Atheists have the same burden of proof on them as those who are part of a religion.

Let's first put aside the sheer arrogance the atheist has to declare first that s/he knows there is no God and look at the larger picture.

An atheist is a human being.
A human being has limited intelligence
God is supposively an entity of unlimited intelligence

A being of limited intelligence declares that a being of unilimited intelligence does not exist.

Do you see just how dumb that is? We are not talking about pink elephants, or purple floating tigers. I cannot stand that arguement about pink elephants, it is the atheist scapegoat version of "god exists because the bible tells me he does". Yeah well here is the atheists version "a being of infinite intelligence doesn't exist because my limited intellect told me so"

Both the religionists and the atheists are exactly the same. They both scream " I have the undisputed answer with my limited intelligence and if you disagree with me you're an idiot" One just does it with the help of a "sacred text" while the other declares their "limited intellect" to be enough. In any case both are cheap copouts to avoid having to think for themselves and explore the possability that your own die hard beliefs are not as concrete as you'd like them to be.

It's that wonderful little human problem called pride again. Average Joe learns a belief. Average joe gets comfortable with that belief. Average joe decides to declare is belief concrete so he never has to worry about what might exist outside that belief. Atheist, religionist, you're exactly the same and you don't even know it.

Last edited:
RealmOfThePureForms said:
I am an agnostic, but I will say this.

Ok, you have an open mike, make good use of it.:lol:

Atheists have the same burden of proof on them as those who are part of a religion.

Huh? How do you figure that one sherlock?

Let's first put aside the sheer arrogance the atheist has to declare first that s/he knows there is no God and look at the larger picture.

Uhh, that's a strong atheist that declares that. Besides, I have yet to run into anyone on this forum who has asserted that. So:
bitchshutup.jpg

Keen observation.

Wow, you're batting 1000.

Nothing gets by you!:lol:

A being of limited intelligence declares that a being of unilimited intelligence does not exist.

I hope you're not talking about the God of the Bible, cause he is sketched as a complete idiot, who is stumped by a fallible human in the garden of eden (Adam's game of hide and seek).

Do you see just how dumb that is?

Huh? Are you reading the same post as I am? I think you claiming the atheist viewpoint is dumb, if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

We are not talking about pink elephants, or purple floating tigers. I cannot stand that arguement about pink elephants, it is the atheist scapegoat version of "god exists because the bible tells me he does". Yeah well here is the atheists version "a being of infinite intelligence doesn't exist because my limited intellect told me so"

Ahh, sour apples?:lol:

Apostle13 said:
Nope... That's me, buffed and buff...So don't pi$$ me off..:lol:

O, ok. Well you know what they say about men who are buff, don't cha? They compensate for other areas that are lacking.:lol:

kal-el said:
O, ok. Well you know what they say about men who are buff, don't cha? They compensate for other areas that are lacking.:lol:
Is that what they say... Really? Hadn't noticed... Never a complaint one either.
Its a surfer thing (buff)... Keeps me young.

kal-el said:

If you say God does not exist you put yourself in equal situation wth the one who says God does exist. If you want to get a fee ride sherlock shut up and ride for free.

kal-el said:

He is not talking about your intelligence. Your intelligence looks to be unlimited. I am almost ready to worship you.

kal-el said:
I hope you're not talking about the God of the Bible, cause he is sketched as a complete idiot, who is stumped by a fallible human in the garden of eden (Adam's game of hide and seek).

kal-el said:
Of course a complete idiot if to compare to your intilligence.

kal-el said:
Huh? Are you reading the same post as I am? I think you claiming the atheist viewpoint is dumb, if you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

If you an atheist I won't be throwing stones at you even if I lived in a bomb shelter. I know I can put not even stones but a hundred bullets into your head but I would still miss the brain.

kal-el said:
Ok, you have an open mike, make good use of it.:lol:

Uhh, that's a strong atheist that declares that. Besides, I have yet to run into anyone on this forum who has asserted that. So:
bitchshutup.jpg

Keen observation.

Nothing gets by you!:lol:

Ahh, sour apples?:lol:

Oh I'm sorry. Perhaps you don't understand philosophical logic. If you're going to sit there and mock the logical facts which I mark clearly for the point of the arguement, perhaps you should not be here and should instead be in a forum of people like yourself who sit and bicker at logical ways of making arguements.

My post was clear and as simple as could be to make the point as clearly as possible. I am not like you. I am not arrogant and I am not going to waste my time making sarcastic remarks and acting like a child. I believe in searching for the truth whether it be God is real or God is not and I will not make rediculous assumptions on either until we as humans find a way to seek real answers for this. It is people with your mindset who hold back the progress of mankind by pretending you have all the answers. If you want to really discuss philosophy then do so, if you want to act like a forum troll and make sarcastic remarks then the philosophy forum isn't a place for you.

Everywhere I go I run into people like you. People who are not interested in genuinely discussing the search for truth but just waiting in the wings to mock and attack anyone who disagrees with your extreme unprovable views.

That being said,

Uhh, that's a strong atheist that declares that. Besides, I have yet to run into anyone on this

That is EXACTLY what you declared when you spoke to the religionist in terms of the burden of proof being soley on him and those like him. The burden is as much on YOU as it is on him. With your limited intellect you have no right to declare that a being of much higher intelligence than your own, possibly infallible, does not exist.

You try to discredit the notion of an entity greater than yourself by mocking someone else with a burden of proving santa claus. But behind your sarcastic remarks the burden of proof still lies with you to disprove the existence of being of higher intellect than your own. And with your current limited intellect you have no capability to do that. So in assuming that your religious opponent must prove God, you made the mistake of believing there was no burden on you.

Greater intellect(superior being) > lesser intellect(human).

If lesser intellect declares greater intellect exists and no proof exists, the assertion must be left open to discussion until lesser intellect can prove greater intellect does not exist. With no proof a lesser intellect cannot declare a greater intellect does not exist for the same reason that a lesser intellect cannot declare a greater intellect does exist.

Example.

We are in the 12th century.
The sun revolves around the earth.
There is no proof the sun does or does not revolve around the earth. All we see is a sun that comes up and does down each day.

Now if you were in the 12th century arguing the sun revolved around the earth and someone else told you the earth actually revolved around the sun and you acted like they were an idiot, you'd be acting exactly as you are now.

At this moment in time we DO NOT have our telescope to tell us the truth. So stop acting like you have the right to get up on your ivory pedestal and mock those who choose to believe in a higher intelligence because at this moment in time YOU CAN'T disprove the philosophical question of our existence any more than they can prove it does exist.

Last edited:
justone said:
If you say God does not exist you put yourself in equal situation wth the one who says God does exist.

But I do not say that "a" God cannot exist, just the Bible god, mostly because of the overwhelming lack of evidence for a sky bloke, so it's perfectly logical to come to thus conclusion.

If you want to get a fee ride sherlock shut up and ride for free.

Isn't that from a bumper sticker?

He is not talking about your intelligence. Your intelligence looks to be unlimited. I am almost ready to worship you.

Wow, and I didn't even kill thousands of people, kill for atomic reasons, hold people accountable for their parents crimes, or require blood sacrifices, I guess I'm in good shape then.:lol:

If you an atheist I won't be throwing stones at you even if I lived in a bomb shelter. I know I can put not even stones but a hundred bullets into your head but I would still miss the brain.

I'm curious, how old are you? I feel like I'm debating with a 3 year old.

That is EXACTLY what you declared when you spoke to the religionist in terms of the burden of proof being soley on him and those like him. The burden is as much on YOU as it is on him. With your limited intellect you have no right to declare that a being of much higher intelligence than your own, possibly infallible, does not exist.
This has long been my assertion/point of contention as well... Don't recall that I've ever said it any better than this. Its always the same... "Prove God"... "Prove no God".

I'm curious, how old are you? I feel like I'm debating with a 3 year old.

At least he's not putting up pictures of battered women to sarcastically respond to someone else. That screams maturity in so many ways. Maybe you wouldn't be so quick to do things like that if someone beat the **** out of you a couple times a week. When I'm debating you I feel like I'm debating a 12 year old who had his first glimpse of the real world and shortly after declared he was right about everything. I'm 14 posts in and I think I've already found the forum know-it-all. I can understand built up resentment from some people whos skin you've gotten under in this forum,but when a forum stranger knows very little about how people act in here and picks you out like this, it's time to reassess your outlook.

Last edited:
MrFungus420 said:
True, you basically said that you can't fathom how it could have happened without divine intervention, not that you don't understand scientific principles.

What speculation? I pointed out that you were using an argument from incredulity, which you were.

And, I defy you to find where I have disparaged anyone's intelligence. What I did was point out the assumption being made that, because of a lack of understanding, it is done by God. I freely admit that I don't understand some of what is being used by scientists to try to understand the origins of the universe, but I can admit my ignorance and not feel a need to attribute that which I don't understand to a god.

However, in the same way in which I trust a physician to take care of medical problems that are part of his bailiwick that I don't understand, I trust the research of scientists in their field of expertise. I know that when research is peer-reviewed, it is verified by others in the field. I know that the information is available to verify myself, if I so desire. There have been times that I have verified what I am able to.

That's fine. People are entitled to their faith. However, with a total lack of evidence for a diety, I have no belief in one.

Irrelevent. You made a comment about there being a differing number of days per year, which is patently false. I understand that the time that Passover is celebrated is based on a lunar cycle, but that was not what you claimed.

The jewish calander is based on the lunar calendar, with 12.4 months per year. The Gregorian calendar is based on 12 months, with every fourth year containing one extra day to balance it out. Both are different.
As for being arrogant, I am not. You choose not to believe. I choose to believe. As I have stated previously, one cannot explain faith to an unbeliever.
Nor does my being a believer make me better or worse than a non-believer, when it comes to the judgement of man. Thus, I rarely discuss this with athiests.
Very few actually want to discuss it and understand it. Only if someone is seeking to understand with an open mind and heart can they do so.
The ire directed at God from those who choose not to believe is evident in a few peoples posts. I won't dispute it with them.
Nor will I disagree with the holidays. According to the teachings of the Bible, the only holiday that is to be celebrated is Passover. The others were all adopted by man to facilitate the inclusion of pagans into the Christian faith, thereby bastardizing the very Rules that God set out.

Oh I'm sorry.

O, ok

Perhaps you don't understand philosophical logic. If you're going to sit there and mock the logical facts which I mark clearly for the point of the arguement, perhaps you should not be here and should instead be in a forum of people like yourself who sit and bicker at logical ways of making arguements.

Perdonme pato, I wasn't aware that you're a resident member here. Actually, I don't see a point in joining an atheist forum, cause what I've seen, there's a lack of believer's, we'd just end up giving eachother hi-5's all the time. I like debate. If you cannot handle the heat, get the **** out of the kitchen.

My post was clear and as simple as could be to make the point as clearly as possible.

Ohh, you mean your post on a fallible being cannot say whether an infallible being exists? That's just a vestigal, misanthropistic, idealistic, hescient entreaty. You're saying we cannot understand an infallible God, right? Well then how do we know he wants worship? How the **** do we understand his book of holy commands? If this God fellow is truly so incomprehensible all this can't be answered as any answer will be trivial to such a God as to make them meaningless.

I am not like you.

Hey, different strokes for different folks.:lol:

I am not arrogant and I am not going to waste my time making sarcastic remarks and acting like a child.

That's great.

I believe in searching for the truth whether it be God is real or God is not and I will not make rediculous assumptions on either until we as humans find a way to seek real answers for this.

Well in the highly unlikely event that he parks he shows his grill to us, I guess you'll be quiet for a very long time.

It is people with your mindset who hold back the progress of mankind by pretending you have all the answers.

Uhh, negative. By questing things, things get done. Everything was invented by people questioning things, not being held in shackels by some delphic man in the sky.

If you want to really discuss philosophy then do so, if you want to act like a forum troll and make sarcastic remarks then the philosophy forum isn't a place for you.

Sorry, but you cannot barge onto this forum and throw around incongrous 1 and 2 liners and expect not to be called on them. If so, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Everywhere I go I run into people like you. People who are not interested in genuinely discussing the search for truth but just waiting in the wings to mock and attack anyone who disagrees with your extreme unprovable views.

Wow, that's quite a boisterous characterization. You got all that from a few posts, do ya? A little FYI, just because I hold heterodox views, does not mean I am wrong. Look at Bruno. He was burned at the stake for claiming that the earth was round and their was life on other planets, as it turns out, the minority was right (about the earth anyway).

That is EXACTLY what you declared when you spoke to the religionist in terms of the burden of proof being soley on him and those like him. The burden is as much on YOU as it is on him.

How did you come to this facinating conclusion? A thesit that asserts he knows God exists, is required to prove it, otherwise a number of things can exist. He is making a positive assertion about reality that affects everyone. The burden of proof is on him. Now if an atheist claims God does not exist, they are also required to provide supporting evidence. But some claims do not need evidence, i.e. the earth is round. The burden of proof is always on the believer, not the doubter.

With your limited intellect you have no right to declare that a being of much higher intelligence than your own, possibly infallible, does not exist.

Sure do, it's a perfectly rational, logical assumption to make considering there is a huge lack of pragmatic evidence for such.

You try to discredit the notion of an entity greater than yourself by mocking someone else with a burden of proving santa claus. But behind your sarcastic remarks the burden of proof still lies with you to disprove the existence of being of higher intellect than your own. And with your current limited intellect you have no capability to do that. So in assuming that your religious opponent must prove God, you made the mistake of believing there was no burden on you.

O, so tiring. You're repeating the same old thing in parrot fashion. Listen, if someone claimed that they had Superman's powers, you would want them to do something unique to Superman, right, like lift a house or fly or something. If someone claimed his dog could talk, you would want to witness it. Even the apostle Paul had to see Jesus to believe that he resurrected. Every fantasic claim needs supporting evidence.

Greater intellect(superior being) > lesser intellect(human).

How basal you are.:lol:

If lesser intellect declares greater intellect exists and no proof exists, the assertion must be left open to discussion until lesser intellect can prove greater intellect does not exist. With no proof a lesser intellect cannot declare a greater intellect does not exist for the same reason that a lesser intellect cannot declare a greater intellect does exist.

Example.

We are in the 12th century.
The sun revolves around the earth.
There is no proof the sun does or does not revolve around the earth. All we see is a sun that comes up and does down each day.

Now if you were in the 12th century arguing the sun revolved around the earth and someone else told you the earth actually revolved around the sun and you acted like they were an idiot, you'd be acting exactly as you are now.

That's quite a leap. Tell me how this has any relevance to God. You are trying to compare a supernatural plane of existence, and a mystical entity that hurls thunderbolts at innocents to the revolution of the earth or sun?

At this moment in time we DO NOT have our telescope to tell us the truth. So stop acting like you have the right to get up on your ivory pedestal and mock those who choose to believe in a higher intelligence because at this moment in time YOU CAN'T disprove the philosophical question of our existence any more than they can prove it does exist.

Listen, mankind flys to the clouds everydy by airplane, no God fellow there, we went to the moon, no God fellow there either, we now can see hundreds of thousands of miles into space with high powere telescopes, but still nobody found a sky man sitting on a cloudy throne. If he would just show his face or do something spectacular, it would end all the hype, he had no problem appearing and doing great tricks in the OT.

At least he's not putting up pictures of battered women to sarcastically respond to someone else. That screams maturity in so many ways. Maybe you wouldn't be so quick to do things like that if someone beat the **** out of you a couple times a week.

Did I strike a nerve? Sorry if that picture hit too close to home.:lol:

When I'm debating you I feel like I'm debating a 12 year old who had his first glimpse of the real world and shortly after declared he was right about everything. I'm 14 posts in and I think I've already found the forum know-it-all. I can understand built up resentment from some people whos skin you've gotten under in this forum,but when a forum stranger knows very little about how people act in here and picks you out like this, it's time to reassess your outlook.

Nice little diatribe there. You're flapping you're gums a hole lot, but failing to communicate anything.

George_Washington said:
The entire idea that we simply die and go into nothingness sounds absurd to me.

Mortality scaring you?

I am an agnostic,

Are you sure? Agnosticism holds that it is impossible to have a meaningful answer to the question of the existence of a god.

but I will say this. Atheists have the same burden of proof on them as those who are part of a religion.

Proof of what? I have seen no evidence to support the idea that there is a deity, therefore, I have no belief in one. What is it that you want proof of? That I haven't seen any evidence? Or that I have no belief in a deity? I am making no claim of something existing or not.

First off, where is the arrogance in saying that, with absolutely no evidence, there is no reason to believe in something that someone else claims exists?

Do you see just how dumb that is?

Well, I notice that in your second statement, you left out the qualifier "supposedly".

Now, let's look at it from the other end. A being of intelligence declares that, despite there being absolutely no evidence, a being of unlimited intelligence exists.

Do you see how dumb that is?

We are not talking about pink elephants, or purple floating tigers. I cannot stand that arguement about pink elephants, it is the atheist scapegoat version of "god exists because the bible tells me he does". Yeah well here is the atheists version "a being of infinite intelligence doesn't exist because my limited intellect told me so"

So, you can't see the similarity in positing the existence of something for which there is no evidence? Unlike a god, though, tigers and elephants have a demonstrable existence, so it is a matter of a variation.

Both the religionists and the atheists are exactly the same.

Let's see, one says that something exists for which there is no evidence, and the other says that without evidence there is no reason to believe. How is that exactly the same?

They both scream " I have the undisputed answer with my limited intelligence and if you disagree with me you're an idiot"

No, one makes an unsubstantiated claim, and one doesn't accept the claim without evidence. Two very different propositions.

One just does it with the help of a "sacred text" while the other declares their "limited intellect" to be enough. In any case both are cheap copouts to avoid having to think for themselves and explore the possability that your own die hard beliefs are not as concrete as you'd like them to be.

Again, belief in something totally unsubstantiated versus a lack of belief in that which is totally unsubstantiated.

It's that wonderful little human problem called pride again. Average Joe learns a belief. Average joe gets comfortable with that belief. Average joe decides to declare is belief concrete so he never has to worry about what might exist outside that belief. Atheist, religionist, you're exactly the same and you don't even know it.

You seem to have a probelm differentiating between belief and lack of belief.

To resort to an aphorism, atheism is as much a religion as bald is a hair colour.

Back
Top Bottom