• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Argument For A Revolver

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Monday I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn ligament in my left wrist. That is my dominant hand. It's going to be a long recovery with a massive full arm cast. I feel like I'm wearing a big target.

Fortunately I have a few .38 revolvers and one compact pistol with an ambi-safety (right hand in my case). Will get a right handed CCW holster this weekend. Will be practicing weak side drawing and shooting for the next 3 months. There will be no way for me to rack a slide until Thanksgiving.

Won't be typing much. LOL

There are plus sides to revolvers anyway. A 38sp sounds perfect for your situation. Good luck.

Sounds like a good time to buy a Glock;)

Monday I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn ligament in my left wrist. That is my dominant hand. It's going to be a long recovery with a massive full arm cast. I feel like I'm wearing a big target.

Fortunately I have a few .38 revolvers and one compact pistol with an ambi-safety (right hand in my case). Will get a right handed CCW holster this weekend. Will be practicing weak side drawing and shooting for the next 3 months. There will be no way for me to rack a slide until Thanksgiving.

You live in a bad part of town or what? :lol:

I'm a revolver man myself and as my avatar shows I like black powder too.

I've always wanted to get into black powder shooting. I own a .45 LC Ruger Blackhawk and I understand someone makes black powder .45 Long Colt cartridges or uses some kind of powder that smokes like black powder.

All commercial .45 LC ammunition is made at black powder specs for those who own Colt Peacemakers. If you own a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for the .45 LC, you could load your own .45's that would be close to the performance of .44 mags.

I've always wanted to get into black powder shooting. I own a .45 LC Ruger Blackhawk and I understand someone makes black powder .45 Long Colt cartridges or uses some kind of powder that smokes like black powder.

All commercial .45 LC ammunition is made at black powder specs for those who own Colt Peacemakers. If you own a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for the .45 LC, you could load your own .45's that would be close to the performance of .44 mags.

I have a few black powder guns but I want the Walker 44cal, it was the biggest baddest gun of its day. It's on my bucket list, they can bury me with it, I'm expecting trouble. Seriously though shooting black powder pistols and muzzle loaders is great fun and relatively cheap.

I am a hard core SW revolver guy since my days as a PPC shooter 30 years ago. My favorites include a SW PC 8 shot 327 (that junior uses for steel) a pro series 627 8 Shot and a couple 10 shot K framed 617s in 22 (for steel)

But this is a great idea for a light Self defense weapon

Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

8 shots of hot 22 LR like stingers is going to be a nasty defensive weapon and easy to shoot one handed

in 22 magnum-also nasty and not much recoil

I have a few black powder guns but I want the Walker 44cal, it was the biggest baddest gun of its day. It's on my bucket list, they can bury me with it, I'm expecting trouble. Seriously though shooting black powder pistols and muzzle loaders is great fun and relatively cheap.

What would you recommend as a good starter cap and ball revolver without spending too many bucks ?

I wonder if I still have that old lead pot ? I could make my own bullets !

I am a hard core SW revolver guy since my days as a PPC shooter 30 years ago. My favorites include a SW PC 8 shot 327 (that junior uses for steel) a pro series 627 8 Shot and a couple 10 shot K framed 617s in 22 (for steel)

But this is a great idea for a light Self defense weapon

Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

8 shots of hot 22 LR like stingers is going to be a nasty defensive weapon and easy to shoot one handed

in 22 magnum-also nasty and not much recoil

The 22 magnum round can be deadly and accurate. I used to own an Itchica single-shot rifle in this caliber. I sure wish I still had it.

What would you recommend as a good starter cap and ball revolver without spending too many bucks ?

I don't have any experience with cap and ball, but I do have an Uberti 1873 Single Action clone. She's top notch in every category, so they would be the first choice for me if I ever got bit by the black powder bug.

As for arguments for a revolver, they're simple and they're ready to go when you are. As long as there are rounds in the cylinder, all you have to do is aim and squeeze. I personally enjoy the fact that feed and eject issues are nonextant.

I don't have any experience with cap and ball, but I do have an Uberti 1873 Single Action clone. She's top notch in every category, so they would be the first choice for me if I ever got bit by the black powder bug.

As for arguments for a revolver, they're simple and they're ready to go when you are. As long as there are rounds in the cylinder, all you have to do is aim and squeeze. I personally enjoy the fact that feed and eject issues are nonextant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Uberti 1873 Single Action revolver is chambered for a cartage,

When I think of black powder shooting , it's loading a certain number grains of black powder into the chamber, then putting a cotton patch and a lead ball or bullet and ramming it against the black powder charge. Then using a percussion cap or flint to ignite the black powder. Kaboom ! and a lot of smoke.

It's all about all of the smoke caused by the black powder that everyone gets a woody over it.

But what I'm asking for, is the $$$.

hammerless CA Bulldog...is a nice one... couple speedloaders, you'll be safe and sound...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Uberti 1873 Single Action revolver is chambered for a cartage,
It is, they make blackpowder revolvers as well. Remingtons, open top Colts, Dragoons, Walkers, even little 32 cal BP "pocket pistols" (a little big for modern pockets, though) I would definitely recommend their blackpowder pistols based on the quality I've seen in their cartridge arms.

When I think of black powder shooting , it's loading a certain number grains of black powder into the chamber, then putting a cotton patch and a lead ball or bullet and ramming it against the black powder charge. Then using a percussion cap or flint to ignite the black powder. Kaboom ! and a lot of smoke.

It's all about all of the smoke caused by the black powder that everyone gets a woody over it.
I've handled blackpowder guns, just not the cap and ball revolvers.

That depends on how much you're willing to spend. The Old West clones cost about the same as modern cartridge revolvers these days. Start up cost for black powder is a bitch, but after you have your flask, powder, caps, bullets, wads, nipple wrench, and all that fun ****, you're about good to go.

Cabelas has good deals on black powder pistols. You can get one and a starter kit for around $150.00 I think.

The 1873 Colt Single Action Army revolver was the first general issue cartridge revolver issued to soldiers. The cavalry, which made it famous, was issued their version with a 7 1/2 " barrel. It accompanied Custer and his troops to the Little Big Horn River. The cartridge it fired contained black powder.

The black powder frame 1873 Colt is distinguishable from later production smokeless powder frame revolvers by the screw in the front of the frame that holds/releases the cylinder. Smokeless powder frame revolvers use a pin for instead of a screw.

"a"? At least 5 and get the Glock versions, not the Korean ones.

i don't have any experience with the 33 rounders since its illegal to have a loaded one in a firearm in Ohio (that law should be going away soon). But the 17 round Korean mags are a mixed bag. There were two makers. One has KCA on them and they are generally pretty good though you sometimes have to use a dremel tool on them to clean out the excess plastic flashing. The others were called Khan and weren't quite as good.

but I got 20 of the KCAs for 100 dollars a few years ago and they all worked well

Cabelas has good deals on black powder pistols. You can get one and a starter kit for around $150.00 I think.

That's for the crappy brass framed ones, though. One over charged shot in one of those, and you'll be out a pistol. With the cheaper ones, some folks have said they see noticeable warping with standard recommended loads. Best to just save up for a steel frame. Waiting to drop an extra $150 will prevent a lot of headaches in the future.

Screw buying a gun hit them with your cast, it works I can testify to that!

Not a darn thing wrong with revolvers. If it spit lead it will do you fine...assuming you are accurate with it. I am personally still looking at a lightweight .357 for hiking and charming snakes and bigger animals that may become a potential hazard. My 9mm won't really be efficient for that.

Not a darn thing wrong with revolvers. If it spit lead it will do you fine...assuming you are accurate with it. I am personally still looking at a lightweight .357 for hiking and charming snakes and bigger animals that may become a potential hazard. My 9mm won't really be efficient for that.

Any revolver spitting lead is out of time or a cheap POS.

Back
Top Bottom