• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arghhhhhhhh, sheetrock

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
When we built our house 7 years ago, I swore that I would never do sheetrock work again- ever. Well, you know how it's considered wise to never say never.:mrgreen: My husband and I are building his workshop, so I can get his hunting, fishing, and hobby stuff out of the guest room, and we are now at the sheetrock stage. I HATE SHEETROCK!

I don't mind putting it up, and I don't mind cutting in holes for fixtures, but taping and bedding has got to be one of the top 10 worst jobs in the world. Anyone here have any helpful hints or shortcuts for getting smooth seams? I don't want to texture, but would prefer smooth walls. Paper tape, or mesh tape? Lightweight mud or the cheaper stuff? Does it really make much difference?

Thanks for reading my rant.:lol:

When we built our house 7 years ago, I swore that I would never do sheetrock work again- ever. Well, you know how it's considered wise to never say never.:mrgreen: My husband and I are building his workshop, so I can get his hunting, fishing, and hobby stuff out of the guest room, and we are now at the sheetrock stage. I HATE SHEETROCK!

I don't mind putting it up, and I don't mind cutting in holes for fixtures, but taping and bedding has got to be one of the top 10 worst jobs in the world. Anyone here have any helpful hints or shortcuts for getting smooth seams? I don't want to texture, but would prefer smooth walls. Paper tape, or mesh tape? Lightweight mud or the cheaper stuff? Does it really make much difference?

As far as I know, there is nothing easy to get the mud and tape done.
Just have to suck it up and get through it.

Don't forget the funniest part of all, the repeated sanding.
LOVE sanding. :?

As far as I know, there is nothing easy to get the mud and tape done.
Just have to suck it up and get through it.

Don't forget the funniest part of all, the repeated sanding.
LOVE sanding. :?

Oh yeah, the sanding. I forgot that.:mrgreen:. I'm good at sucking it up and perservering, but I still bitch and moan about it.:)

Oh yeah, the sanding. I forgot that.:mrgreen:. I'm good at sucking it up and perservering, but I still bitch and moan about it.:)

That makes two of us. :mrgreen:

Had to do a bathroom once, the whole wall was mudded...:2mad:
Luckily I got to leave early that day.

It's no fun but the best thing to do is get good at it, so you don't need to use as much mud.
I had an "experienced" boss who slapped it on thick, I ran it thin with similar results.

No shortcut --- it does suck beyond sucking. Tape, mud, sand, mud, sand, mud sand...

The only trick I ever found out was to keep some white paint handy and a roller --- paint the sections that may need more mud and let it tack dry and inspect it use a pencil to circle the area that needs the mud only - also, go with the good mud and don't try to cover it all in one shot - it just doesn't come out and sanding is a major pain.

Last job I had was in a historical house - 1785 with original walls for the most part --- horsehair plaster. So my contractor hired these guys who did the entire 2nd floor, and 1st floor + ceilings in one day --- came back the next day found the uneven areas and did it again. They used a "skim coat" which was like mud but I watched them for about an hour and was simply in awe. Insane how they can do such a good job so quickly.

The only trick I ever found out was to keep some white paint handy and a roller --- paint the sections that may need more mud and let it tack dry and inspect it use a pencil to circle the area that needs the mud only - also, go with the good mud and don't try to cover it all in one shot - it just doesn't come out and sanding is a major pain.

Wow, impressive story about the restoration.:)

I've watched pro's paint on mud like an artist, but I'm no artist of any kind.:mrgreen:. Good suggestion on the paint. I'm assuming that the mud will stick okay over paint? Or did I misunderstand?

Wow, impressive story about the restoration.:)

I've watched pro's paint on mud like an artist, but I'm no artist of any kind.:mrgreen:. Good suggestion on the paint. I'm assuming that the mud will stick okay over paint? Or did I misunderstand?

The mud will easily stick and go over the paint - so you'll be golden!

Do the big muscle stuff and hire a handyman to tape and mud. Saves marriages...well worth the cost!!!

IDK if it's just where I'm from but most garage type areas down here are left unfinished, with just one shoddily done layer of mud and tape over the seams. If he's just storing crap in there you're prolly gonna get nicks in the walls and before long you won't care how it looks anyway. Just my 2 cents.

I used to do sheetrock all summer long through highschool and my first two years of college to pay the bills.

After a summer of that crap I was dead certain I was going to college and would be doing anything but that for a living, lol.

Don't put too much in your mud pan at a time, if it gets dried pieces in it you'll be having a hell of a time. Use atleast a 6 inch and ten inch trowel. I prefered the cheap mud in five gallon buckets that was diluted with half a cup to a cup of water and mixed with a drill with a mixing attachment. Made everything much easier.

I've heard good things about the self adhesive tape too that you can just tape to the seems then go over it with mud. I haven't used it but have heard it makes it much easier for do it yourselfers.

Use paper tape. You'll get smoother seams.

When bedding the tape, use a small knife/trowel, about 4" or so. Don't leave air bubbles under the tape. Let it dry.

Next coat of mud, use a larger knife, maybe 6". Third coat of mud, use a 10" tool.

Mud is meant to be applied in thin coats, hence the multiple floats.

You should probably use regular joint compound, not the lightweight. Regular mud is easier to sand.

Do the big muscle stuff and hire a handyman to tape and mud. Saves marriages...well worth the cost!!!

:mrgreen: gotcha! We tried to do that when we built the house, but have you tried over the past 10 years to find a reliable drywall crew?:mrgreen: They seem to be rare around here.

IDK if it's just where I'm from but most garage type areas down here are left unfinished, with just one shoddily done layer of mud and tape over the seams. If he's just storing crap in there you're prolly gonna get nicks in the walls and before long you won't care how it looks anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Well, it's really more than a storage place because he has various hobbies that require lots of tools and organized space to work in. It's more of a guy hang-out, and he's one to do everything he does, very well.

Well, it's really more than a storage place because he has various hobbies that require lots of tools and organized space to work in. It's more of a guy hang-out, and he's one to do everything he does, very well.

Go with wallpaper

Pink wallpaper with fluffy bunnies on it.

Nothing says workshop like pink wallpaper and bunnies

Inorite?! EXACTLY what I was going to suggest but I wasn't sure how it would go over.

Go with wallpaper

Pink wallpaper with fluffy bunnies on it.

Nothing says workshop like pink wallpaper and bunnies

tongue and groove the ceiling and put pegboard on the walls. Peg board makes it very easy to organize sporting goods too.

Excellent recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom